Nevis Valley, New Zealand

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Mathias52, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Mathias52

Mathias52 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is my first report so please bare with me.

On Sat a few of us rode through the Nevis Valley then over Duffers Saddle (NZs highest public road) into Bannockburn. Alot of different experience levels from Jocelyn who had never been off road (250 Super Sherpa) Peter (2nd trip off road) to Greg who used to ride MX (RM250) to 70 year old Allaistar who has been riding all his life and is showing no signs of slowing down, last time he rode through here was on his 2007 FZ6, this time he pulled out his old DT200. This was really only my 2nd real trip off the black stuff. Here are a few photo from along the way.

Warning sign at the start of the road.
    [​IMG]

Headed up the winding gravel road to the old Nevis ski hut.
    [​IMG]

Here is the Veiw from the Old Nevis Ski Hut looking west. It was a glorious day for riding and couldnt think of anywhere better to be for the weekend.
    [​IMG]

A few of the numerous river crossings. none of them too deep but some had largish rocks on the bottom.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I managed to find this nice lil mud puddle which everyone but Jocelyn and I rode around.
    [​IMG]

After the little mud puddle, no longer as clean as when the day started.
    [​IMG]

We stopped for lunch at an old stone goldminers hut now in ruins.
    [​IMG]

Passing John on his BMW f650gs the same as mine, last time he came on a ride he ended up with screws being put in his ankle the next day so he was a bit nervous being off road again.
    [​IMG]

Me being passed by Greg on his RM250. This was a common occurance during the day.
    [​IMG]

After riding through the valley most of the day we wound our way up onto Duffers Saddle the highest public road on NZ at 1300m
    [​IMG]

Had a group photo before realising John had a nail in his tyre so off came the wheel and tools to go about remedying this problem
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Koby was a little tired from exploring off the track on his KDX200 while the flat gets fixed
    [​IMG]

Im pretty sure this tube isnt meant to have a big slit in it....no wonder it wasnt holding any air.
    [​IMG]

From Duffers Saddle most of us rode out to Bannockburn then took the black stuff home. 2 rode back the way we had come as their bikes had been traliered to the start as they werent road appropriate.

It was an awesome day and I am pretty sure that the 3 of us relativly new off road riders all learnt some valuable skills, I know I sure did. If your ever in the South end of NZ take some time to take the 80km trip thru the Nevis. Its well worth it.
  2. RedRockRider

RedRockRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb

That is a nice sign to start your ride!
  3. Mathias52

Mathias52 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Agreed
  4. Aj Mick

Aj Mick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking forward to getting back to Godzone later this year, and reacquainting myself with places such as this. Nowadays, with a new fangled digital camera, I'll be capturing a few photos to share..... thanks for yours!
  5. DLRuapuke

DLRuapuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great crew and neat ride by the looks !
    We are heading down South in March for 3 weeks of gravel and adventure so...............
    I see theres an `Alp two up ! - Go that person !
    Will certainly do the Nevis along with 64 others !!!! ( we will run out of TIME :cry )
    Gaz
  6. Mathias52

Mathias52 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Send me a message when you get down this way, Im always keen to do some riding. Yep the transalp was 2 up.

Last time I went thru the Nevis I was in a 4wd. Due to a accident at work I couldnt ride but this is Allistair who is 70 taking his FZ6 thru. It amazes me where he takes this thing.

[​IMG]
  7. DLRuapuke

Oddometer:
    Good as
    More than likely be 4 or 5 of us - dont think theres one under 50 ?
    Thats a friggin good pic of that roadie by the way
    Thanks Gaz
  8. Mathias52

Mathias52 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll have to drop the average age then. haha
    I'd be keen for any ride down this way. I really good ride is the West Branch of the Manuherikia River that goes between St Bathans and Omarama, There is also a east branch that only has about 5 river crossings compared to the Wests 20+ which I havent done.
  9. DLRuapuke

Oddometer:
    Yes - we are hoping to do that as part of the trip
    Me and the missus were at Naesby for 3 days touring on the Monster in 2010 - but no gravel !
    Real neat part of the world ( bugger all people )
    A few from this way ( Hawkes Bay ) were down South 2 weeks ago with 1 not making
    it back - apparantly hes in Dunedin hospital after a meeting with campervan on the Danseys !
    We head down 9 March and back up 27th
    Roll on March.......................................
  10. JaxObsessed

JaxObsessed Aggressively pedantic about objective truth=Woke.

Oddometer:
    Nice report! Wonderful to see ol farts (like me :1drink) out having a great time. :thumb
    One of the nice things about winter in the Northern Hemisphere is the reports that come out of the Southern Hemisphere.
    Looking forward to more.!