Vibranators/Bar weights

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Ads, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Ads

Ads Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep. frustrating, but I do think it is down to the Akra remap which was done for the fuel can's, bit of a trade of as I have no more fuelling issues, any how I have just pumped a load of silicon in the bars, just waiting for the roads to dry up a little, I have my fingers crossed!.
  2. Sevv

Sevv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The wife's current ride is a repurposed race bike SV650, so the vibes on it are pretty substantial to start with as pretty much anything extraneous has already been removed. Coupled with the fact she's using a set of woodcraft clip one with super light weight bars a quick test ride up the road was enough to cause complaints.

A quick run to the hunting store to ask about lead shot resulted in a big no deal. Either they didn't have it, or the old coot behind the counter wasn't willing to sell it to a teenage lookin mofo like me.

A quick wander through the fishing isle found me lead weight wire. About 1/8" thick lead wire 12' long coiled into a little tube. I cut three lengths for each handle and shoved them inside then capped with a little silicone to hold in place. It fits more securely than shot, cost about $6, and you don't have to worry about it working loose and dumping a fist full of low traction lead orbs on the road.

She's super happy with the result, so I am as well... Yay!
  3. Balsta

Balsta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AND
    7) Avoid riding at same rpm for an extended period of time. It's a huge difference compared with ACTIVE AND FUN riding at different speeds and rpms. Your bike penalizes you with numb fingers when you ride it like an old tired automobile. The difference for myself is 20 minutes versus several hours until numb fingers.

By the way I also use 300 grams bar ends since long ago. Cant remember for sure if these were of any use.
  4. Ads

Ads Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Silicon has made a great improvement :clap
  5. Peanuts

Peanuts Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful but often rainy North Yorkshire, UK
    suprising isn't it?
  6. Bigem

Bigem Long timer

Oddometer:
    13 days of Dakar each year for the last decade or so, he must have learnt something!!:clap:clap:clap
  7. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    Ordered my Vibranators Friday night, got confirmation and shipping info Monday Morning and the product today, Thursday. Can't beat that! So on with the show...

Here's what's in the package (uh...minus the Snap-On ruler. I own very few Snap-On tools and wanted to look cool)...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They're very nicely made...quality, for sure. It's one piece of machined steel. The web site (no instructions in the box) says to cut 20mm from the end of the bars and this part gives you back that length. This is the new end's of the bars - your grips go over them (in case that wasn't obvious)...

[​IMG]

I was all set to cut, large tubing cutter in hand when I thought, "Hmmm...maybe 20mm wider bars would be cool...", and if I don't like it I can always cut them down later, or maybe just 10mm at a time. I can always thread deeper if necessary...so I didn't cut my bars.

I try a test fit and they wouldn't go in the bar all the way...something was stopping them. "What the hey", say's I, or words to that effect. I peer in the ends of the bars w/ my trusty mag-light and see little plastic caps. I'm thinking, "Uh oh. You don't suppose someone did the Silicone Seal treatment to the bars? Cause if they did, we're finished right here. And also, it ain't working." I stick it in again, cause I'm like that, and the Vibranator (we need a nickname here) pulls the cap out with it...Cool! Nothing in the bar that I can see, so I hit the other end of the bar with 110psi and fired that little bugger out of there like a shot! OK! Now we're rolling.

[​IMG]

The tapping of the bar part is pretty easy. The only finicky part is making sure you're square at the start, but really, the other side went much faster and I'm a Pro now! (Send inquires to Chuckracer...). If you've never tapped anything, Google and YouTube will set you straight, and it's not difficult. It's actually kinda fun getting a feel for how the tool is cutting the aluminum, talking my time and pretending I could be a machinist.

Tap tap tap...
    [​IMG]

Nice...
    [​IMG]

Permatex Threadlocker 242 on the threads after clean up and in she goes...

[​IMG]

Home...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The stock plastic handguards screw right into the ends of the Vibes, but you will need a much shorter bolt...this is the stock bolt threaded all the way in for reference...

[​IMG]

...And that's it! Oh, you'll need to drill new holes for repositioning your handlebar pods if you do not cut your bars, as I did. Drill the holes, don't be a wanker and chop the pins off...that's hack. I'll ride the bike for a 100 miles or so tomorrow and this weekend and report back here with my impressions. I have circulation problems in my left hand mostly and the high frequency buzz is getting annoying. I can work around it and have for years, but why?
    I have a good friend with serious Carpal Tunnel in both wrists and he says these things changed his riding future, and this is a man and rider I respect a great deal, so...there you are. And here we are. And off we go!

More later! :D
  8. OrangeV

OrangeV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please dont sell it, youre bike needs you, have some affection for it, its a KTM...:lol3
  9. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just received and installed my vibranator on my ktm smt. no drilling required. just use the supplied longer bolts

I will ride tomorrow and hopefully they are worth the $70
  10. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    they do absolutely nothing. I think they only work on high frequency vibes you get on inline fours. the low freq vibes from twins dont bother me nearly as much.

Mine are not like the ones pictured above. they screw onto longer bolts that fit through my hand guards.
  11. Chuckracer

Oddometer:
    I can feel maybe a 50% reduction in vibes. I'm not blown away, and think perhaps any bar end weight may have given the same results.

For me it is better, though. The downside is I can't use my Kaoko throttle lock now. :cry

Next: Grips.
  12. Chuckracer

Oddometer:
    Update: A quick 350 miles today, on and off road...it's way better! NO hand problems at all. I can still feel vibrations, but not once did my hands fall asleep. OK, they stay! :deal