North Atlanta (Cobb/Cherokee) bike nights?

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by BSUCardinalfan, Jun 12, 2015.

1. BSUCardinalfan

BSUCardinalfan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't find any info on bike nights or gatherings other than the Newnan thread. Are there any up this way?
  2. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    I don't know of any other regular bike nights being organized in the North Atlanta area, but I can tell you from experience people are lazy and don't want to organize one themselves. But if you start one and keep it going each week, you'll eventually grow a good following. I've been hosting the Newnan bike night for about 6+ years now. It started off a little slow in the beginning with just a core group of us, but it eventually grew. Generally speaking we have about 20-30 people show each week and I've had a couple weeks we've pushed it over 40. That does mean that I have out grown some of the smaller restaurants, but it's good challenge.

It's a little more work, but I also found that moving around to different restaurants each week works better too then hosting at the same place each week. Plus sometimes depending on where you host it, you might be closer to certain people vs others that week and attract different people to join.

I also do find these days, I have much more response from people on Social Media from my FB page and most of the new people I get, I direct them to that. I also send out an e-mail list each week (BCC) so no one can reply all. I would say I rarely actually pick up anyone new from the forums, but you never know, so that's why I keep posting it here and a couple other local GA forums.

When I meet someone new on the street, I usually tell them about bike night, get their e-mail and add them to my list. We've made some great new friends that way. Also all the local bike shops around here know I host a bike night and they send people our way too which helps.
  3. BSUCardinalfan

BSUCardinalfan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks for the feedback. there are a couple places that apparently do have something once a week but it is impossible to find info most of the time, and very few bikes at all actually show up. seems like a marketing opportunity for a decent place with outdoor seating!