Best time of season to ride through Baja?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by NoXi, Jan 21, 2013.

1. NoXi

NoXi n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey all, I'll start with an intro. I'm a college kid from ND, have been riding my trusty GL500 for years and have been on a few great trips in the northern states but am looking for some more adventure!!

I've had the idea to take the beat to hell parts of route 66 all the way South, work my way down Mexico and ferry to La Paz. From there we'd (my buddy and me) work our way up the California coast and head west through NV, UT, WY, SD to MN.

So my question is, what would be the best month weather-wise to go through Mexico out of May, June, July or August?
    OR, is riding through Mexico during the hot rainy season a bad idea all together?

Thanks in advance!
  2. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about the national championship game...
  3. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh. Minot. My bad. :rofl
  4. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    The best months are not summertime.
    Do some research yourself for average temps.
    All there to see...
  5. NoXi

NoXi n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey lonerider, thanks for the input.
    I realize summer probably isn't the best time to go down, but as I mentioned I'm a college kid so that's all the time I have.
    What I'm looking for is information, from someone more experienced than me, on the best timing or if it is just a bad idea. Being from the North I have no experience when it comes to riding during a rainy season.
  6. lorenxonunex

lorenxonunex BajaXplorer

Oddometer:
    best month for visiting us is before july this month it gets pretty ugly heat... you can try out the months of may or june or the first days of july....

good look, i live in tijuana.. thanks
  7. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Given your time window(I'm a huge Mexico fan & just got back from Baja) I'd take in the rocky mtns for as long as your time & money holds out and do the west coast too if it's important to you & it is a neat area to ride. Plan around the time the highest elevations offer clear riding & camp & hike(to Really!!! see the mtns you must walk!!!) while there for sure. Skip Baja for those dates unless your into big fish at high boat prices. Memorial day on should get you most places in the mtns..
  8. NoXi

NoXi n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the help guys, I'll reconsider an extended trip through Mexico for this season. Can't wait to start my own Trip report on this great forum. :D
  9. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Given your timeframe, I suggest just doing it....whenever.
    Yeah, it can get hot, but you'll deal with it and really enjoy the trip.

It's easy to get too picky about traveling. :D
    Matcrisp likes this.
  10. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree- plus you can expect the best riding in the higher/cooler elevations too.
  11. David13

David13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the important part is to go. When you can go. As later in life you may not be able to get away so much.
    So as soon as school is out, get on the road and go.
    Don't hang around the border or any sketchy areas.
    Don't get drunk and roam around the city at night.
    But go when you can.
    dc
    Matcrisp and subcomm like this.
  12. vaara

vaara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How's mid-October? That's my next available "window" for riding down to Baja.

Am I correct in assuming that unless there's a hurricane around, the weather should be pretty nice then, and not too hot on the Sea of Cortez side?
  13. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    October can still be pretty warm on the Cortez side, but doable. July, August, and September can be downright oppressive. Think million watt hair dryer blowing in your face all day, and nights cool off to a chilly 95 degrees, but at least its humid. :lol3
  14. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
  15. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    hey amigo, I am a little mix up here with your info. You will come on hwy 66 I think that finish in Los Angeles, then down Baja, but you mention Ferry to La Paz, so that means you are coming from Mainland Mexico.

Mexico has several differences in weather, so Baja will get hot, but "hot and cold" are relative terms, I get cold at around 60 F and need a light jacket, and I get hot at around 110F. either way there is the camelback that it is a life saver and if you freeze your water and have some of the ice blocks, well that will be a booster for you, even more that you are in the early 20's

As mention before, start as soon as you can. If you need anything I am in Ensenada BAJA and will be waiting! tacos, beer on me!

Damasovi