Rookie wanna-be weldor starting to make some cool things!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kirkster70, Oct 3, 2010.

1. kirkster70

kirkster70 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much! It was hard work, but it was also fun and I learned a lot by just going for it.

I got all my tanks topped off today and I'm ready to get cracking on some more projects on my next break. :freaky

I think the next project will be a removeable rack for the bed of the truck so I can transport the welding tanks in a safe manner. Up until now, I've been sliding them in the back seat and putting a seat belt around them. Not exactly the safest thing in the world with a full tank at 2000psi.

Probably more uni-strut will get used. I'll make it to where it slides in the stake pockets and can hold the tanks strapped in the upright position like they should be transported. I'll have to fabricate the straps out of flatbar and make them like conduit straps so they can hook into the strut.

When removed from the truck, I'll make it free-standing so it can do double duty by holding emptys in the garage. Should be a pretty good little project.
  2. Dorzok

Dorzok Long timer

Oddometer:
    haha. i got rear ended in my country squire. insurance guy assessed the damage (bumper pushed in), gave me an estimate, cut me a check for around $500, and then told me how to pop the bumper out back in to place. don't remember what i spent the money on.
  3. kirkster70

Oddometer:
    Alright, I've been putting this one off for a while - a cylinder rack so I can safely transport welding gas in the back of truck like someone who has a brain half the size of a pea. Mine's a bit smaller, so it takes me longer sometimes. :D

[​IMG]

Back to the unistrut scrap pile. I notch the strut to slide into my truck's stake pockets using a 4 1/2" cutting wheel in a grinder.

[​IMG]

Scrap 1 1/2" x 3/16" flat bar is drilled out, cut to size, and then a 3/8" nut is tacked in place.

[​IMG]

Flat bar welded to the strut to match the factory hole height in the truck's inner bed side. I disconnect the battery negative to avoid any possible electrical gremlins.

[​IMG]

Tightly bolted in place to begin mock-up of rack.

[​IMG]

I allow plenty of room for the cylinder and a strap from the rack to the tailgate. I figure for a 330 cubic foot tank because I'm thinking of upgrading from 125s.

[​IMG]

I cut the feet to the desired length and then measure for the vertical pieces. Everything is squared up and tacked in place. Now I can add another horizontal piece, triangulate the feet for support, and then take the rack out to fully weld all joints.

Quick and dirty rack is working out pretty well so far...
  4. josjor

josjor Long timer

Oddometer:
    The largest geological formation in the U.S.A.
    I was always going to build a cylinder rack that would slide into my hitch receiver. That way I wouldn't have to lift the heavy bottles up into the bed of the truck.

Then I thought about being rear-ended.:huh:D
  5. kirkster70

Oddometer:
    Oooh! Yeah, that would be a bad day!

125s are pretty easy to throw around, but I think the 330s are around 145lbs or so. I'm thinking I can flip them up if I can get them horizontal on the tailgate.

AirGas will only let me rent a 330 @ $70 a year plus fill charges.

I can buy one from Gas Pony @ Tractor Supply outright, but it works out to be about 4 1/2 years of renting to equal the tank purchase. Fill charges are about the same at each place.

AirGas won't fill a Gas Pony cylinder. I already asked.

It's always something...
  6. kirkster70

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I'm thinking just because it's scrap, it doesn't have to look completely ghetto. With that in mind, I cap all the open strut ends with pieces cut out of the scrap scrap.

Then I do the usual spraybomb session.

I'm hoping to fab the cylinder straps out of flat bar tomorrow. That should be a bit of a challenge. We'll see...
  7. kirkster70

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Using scrap 1 1/2" x 3/16" flat bar, I bend a 90 in the hole end with my homemade brake, and bend the curve in the vise. I thought this would be a bit of a challenge to bend the right radius, but it went pretty smoothly. I probably just jinxed myself...

The notch is made with a drill bit, and then trimmed up with the cutting wheel.

[​IMG]

1/2" hardware is used to attach the strap. Now I need to make at least 3 more straps.

Not a very exciting project, but a much needed one.
  8. Zombie_Stomp

Zombie_Stomp Aspiring human

Oddometer:
    How about a wingnut-style bolt or extended nut with a t-handle to make securing the tanks easier?

Good pure-utility project.
  9. 100mpg

100mpg Self Imposed Exile

Oddometer:
    thats easy. You. Make sure you have the camera pointed directly at the bumper the night you just happen to "forget" some cookies on the new bumper and the bear (paid participant) tests your bumper! :lol3
  10. kirkster70

Oddometer:
    I was more worried about someone making off with my tanks if left unattended too long in the parking lot. I was actually scratching my head on how I could lock them, but didn't want to burn up too many brain cells thinking about it. :D I have to be gentle with the ones I have left.

It's a pretty quick affair working the straps with a ratchet.
  11. kirkster70

Oddometer:
    I repositioned the cage when done upgrading, so hopefully he'll trip different motion sensors and we can get some good piccys next time! Turkey carcass ought to draw him out! :D
  12. Zombie_Stomp

Zombie_Stomp Aspiring human

Oddometer:
    Eff that, boil the turkey carcass in a deep pot to get awesome turkey stock. Use a bit of vinegar to draw out the calcium for nutritional value. Eat all but the 'gobble.' (taken from the pig scavenging philosophy of 'eat all but the squeal').
  13. kirkster70

Oddometer:
    The guinea pig palace is finally 100% complete. My girl will be home from school any minute, and I'm hoping she loves it!

[​IMG]

Warpy, warpy! :lol3 I don't think there is a straight or square line on the whole project due to all the heat that went into it. Oh, well. I did the best I could and got lots of hood time with the TIG.

[​IMG]

4 doors open for catching the critter, and for feeding and cleaning duties.

[​IMG]

Cabinet hinges from a remodel, 1/4" polycarbonate left over from tractor cab windows, EMT strap for the water bottle. I bought the hasps and some 1/2" x 1/8" aluminum angle from the hardware store to finish everything off.

[​IMG]

Nothing fancy, but there it is. Now I have a little more garage space and can move onto another project.

Getting ready to put it into service here in a bit...
  14. chapman2012

chapman2012 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How does piggie like it?
  15. 100mpg

Oddometer:
    :lol3 That is huge and that guinea pig is going to think it won the 500 million dollar power ball! Too funny and I think King Pig is going to have a hard time getting up those ramps. The look a little slick for his poor little swine feet.
  16. kirkster70

Oddometer:
    :roflThere was a bit of a learning curve for Piggy, but he's happy now! :lol3

...and 100mpg, you are right! I had to add some traction on the ramps for fat butt to make it up. :lol3

I had some left over strips that I had sheared for the outer cage. I cut them to the width of the ramps and pop-riveted them in place. Sucked up the shavings with the shop vac, and Piggy was good to go.

My girl was so excited that she had to show the cage to her neighbor friend. :D

Mostly made from scrap, but I probably used close to $100 in argon. :huh :roflI'd do it again in a heartbeat.
  17. kirkster70

Oddometer:
    Back to the uni-strut scrap pile for the next project...

[​IMG]

A roll-around cart and hydraulic conversion on the JD2 tube bender. The pedestal I'm using is from JD2 and is meant for a stationary mount. I thought sailah had a great idea by making a set up with wheels, so I have been wanting to do this for a while.

JD2 doesn't make a cart, but tricktools does, and this will be similar to what they offer, but I will make my own tweaks so it's not a complete and total ripoff.

I start by making the width narrow enough to go through a 32" door opening. I mount the pedestal to the strut with springnuts and hardware, square everything up, and then tack it all together with the MIG.

[​IMG]

I flip the hydraulic pump on it's side to layout the mounts for the motor assembly. I'll make the pump mount once the motor is bolted down.

[​IMG]

I mark the hole centers, make a square mark on the other side, and cut some more strut to tack into place.

Nothing super exciting, but another needed project is finally getting knocked out...

I've had the pump and ram for a while, and need to make sure everything works. I would still LOVE to make a sidecar for the KLR. It's on the near horizon... maybe... hopefully!
  18. 100mpg

Oddometer:
    Castle FatButt! :lol3

100 in argon? For your daughter and fatbutt? Thats cheap. She will remember that cage for the rest of her life.
  19. kirkster70

Oddometer:
    With the motor supported, I can now flip the cart up to support the pump...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With more scrap 1 1/2" x 3/16" flat bar, I bend a piece and drill it out for the mounting block of the pump. The hydraulic reservoir is just floating in space, so I bend more flat bar for it to rest on. I tack the bars in place with the MIG.

[​IMG]

I don't know about you, but the valve on top and the reservoir both look pretty vulnerable to being damaged to me. Next up, I will make a removable protective cage. It might be nice to allow for a basket on top of the cage for holding a notebook, level, protractor, or anything else used with bending tube.
  20. kirkster70

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

My Rube Goldberg bender cart is coming right along.

I dig through the scrap pile and wind up with various sized angle. I want the cage to be able to lift right up.

I frame around the j-box on the left, and the hyrdaulic lines on the right.

It's taller than needed so the tool shelf on top will be at arm's reach w/o bending over.

[​IMG]

It doesn't look like much, but this took all day.

[​IMG]

That's all for now. I hope to get it all wrapped up tomorrow...