How to TB balance

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by rossguzzi, Nov 15, 2012.

1. rossguzzi

rossguzzi Started on Montesa.

Oddometer:
    I am still getting use to navagating around this site. I have not found how to balance the throttle bodies yet. Can someone point me in the right direction please?
  2. AdvGa

AdvGa Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. AdvGa

AdvGa Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is a link to the TBS on a 990 SuperDuke:

http://www.superduke.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5347&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

[​IMG]by lockers » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:20 am
    I use the vaccum hoses that connect to the IAP (intake air pressure) sensors. Theres one on the frame beside the left side of the airbox and one just behind the radiator filler cap on the right. It's just small sensor with one thin hose and elec plug connecting to it, mounted in a rubber holder. Just pull the hose off, stick a joiner in the end of the existing hose and then connect the carbtune hose to that. You must disconnect the Elec plug too, or it will stall when running. You will have an FI light to come on too, due the the disconnected IAP sensors but don't worry about that.

The adjustment/balance screw is inside the airbox, on the left side of the rear throttle body. You need to raise the tank/remove the air filter to get to it. Then just tweak it until she's running sweet and re-assemble.

I do mine every minor service.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Kray likes this.
  5. rossguzzi

rossguzzi Started on Montesa.

Oddometer:
    So sorry I meant carb balance. I am so use to talking about throttle bodies (FI) !

Thanks for all the links etc.
    Cheers.
  6. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
    To sync the throttle bodies on FI 990's is it best to mechanically adjust the TB screw or make the adjustment thru software (TuneECU)?
  7. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    I use one of these:
    [​IMG]

Couldn't be easier... stick it in one.. stick it in the other.. make sure the reading is the same.
    if it isn't adjust the screw (mentioned above) until they match.

You are basically measuring the actual air consumed.

Hope this helps
    :freaky
  8. SlickSix

SlickSix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In my CBR F3 and F4i, which is Fi, I do it the grandpa way and as never failed me.

A piece of wood with 1m x 15 cm with 4 fishtank silicone hoses plugged together on the bottom with some small T´s and filled with regular car/bike oil.

Just plug the other end of the hoses to the TBs and adjust. Just like with a Carbtune only waaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper :lol3
  9. SlickSix

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/E2J_N4VVGGo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  10. SlickSix

Oddometer:
    double post
  11. srad600

srad600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Reviving this old(er) thread, I'm curious if anyone has actually sync'd the throttle bodies on an FI bike? I was reading electronic shop manual last night and it states that the throttle bodies should never be adjusted? :eek1

I picked up the synchrometer posted above, in hopes of checking/adjusting this weekend but I'd rather not get in there and hose up the TB's if they are really not meant to be adjusted. Thanks.
  12. bikyto

bikyto Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer:
    Use tuneecu for the reading and just adjust the screw on the rear left side of the TBs.
    Some bikes are off and it's worth looking into.
    My 2 cents :freaky
  13. srad600

srad600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've read reports that tuneecu, although a great resource, was not appropriate for syncing the TB's. I'm just curious if anyone has actually done this and what the results were.
  14. BigTony

BigTony Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've used tuneecu but more recently a home made manometer (do a google search if interested - no need for a fancy vacuum gauge set on a twin)

Tuneecu got it pretty close but the values fluctuate so its hard to judge when they're averaging the same. I hooked up the manometer, (basically a tube with oil in it) to the tb vacuum ports and needed to make a slight adjustment, so I'd say that is more accurate.

I've removed the canister air pump and replaced with test leads, so the tb sync is easy to hook up, but if I hadn't done so I'd definitely get one of the gauges Geek suggests. It would be a ton of work to mess with vacuum hoses just to tb sync
  15. bikyto

bikyto Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer:
    KTM does it with a digital tuning gizmo.
    I have done a few 990s with tuneecu and I don't find the fluctuation to be more than a few hpa. Usually, + or - 2/3 hpa.
    I've also swapped around the MAP sensors to confirm readings.

I've adjusted them at 2000 rpm and then let the bike idle to see what the spread is. It's usually very close.

So, perhaps, tuneecu isn't perfect but the bikes were running pretty good afterwards. Just an opinion.
  16. srad600

srad600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice guys. Since I already had the meter I decided to use that in conjunction with tuneECU to see what differences there are. The Tuneecu screen did fluctuate a bit, making it a little difficult to get a good average.

I could see from the meter that my intakes were off from one another by about 1.5 kg/hr to start.

Also the tuning screw is very touchy, so it took a while to figure out I could put one finger under it and turn the screw at the same time to help stop the readings from going all over the place. In the end, the flow meter was much easier to use than tuneECU, but it was nice to reference both just in case.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I ended up with both intakes settling at 7 kg/hr. Also, if anyone has the smaller trumpets from the RC8 like I do, you'd need to put in the originals to use the meter (or use/make an adapter). Otherwise this worked flawlessly.

I took a small loop into the hills afterwards to test everything, and so far, my throttle response at low RPM has been smoothed out considerably. I'm happy I decided to get this done. :wink:
  17. DualSport855

DualSport855 Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Today I used my new carbtune device to balance my throttle bodies while running Tune ECU as described in this thread. They were out a bit and it was easy to adjust. My 2007 LC8 is sounding amazing. Thanks guys for sharing your wisdom on this forum.
  18. two trackin fool

two trackin fool Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great thread :thumb

:lurk
    Cowtowner likes this.
  19. mazz

mazz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What size of adapter did you use with the device for katoom air intakes ?
  20. KPuusepp

KPuusepp It's a f***ing 950 adventure...

Oddometer:
    I think I had the base adapter that came with the device. Fits just perfect

Small end diameter 40mm
    Large end diameter 55mm
    Length of cone 36mm