Farkle Day at CJRacer's place

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by pburke, Oct 16, 2007.

1. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Man I wish you lived around here, we could do a demo of "how to prep a 990 for a South America trip" That would just about cover everything and my bike would be ready to go! :D
  2. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    That would be great.:thumb

Hope you're feeling better. Have a great trip.:ricky

safe travels,
    cj
  3. FINNDIAN

FINNDIAN Mine goes to 11

Oddometer:
    Looks like I'm not going to be able to get out of here untill friday evening now Craig.
    Can't see myself making it there till saturday afternoon sometime.
    Depend on how late I ride friday. I think it's about 1000kms.
    You got the spokes?:ear
    Gord
  4. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    They should be here this week. If you need to crash over Sun. night too, that's cool. I work at home on Mon.
  5. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    I hope to swing by at least one of those days. :D

The eldest is possibly moving back to Eau Claire that w/e.:puke1 Maybe I just give her the truck and roll on my own 2 wheels. :clap

Two into one takers?
  6. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    I've added you to the list, hope you can make it.:thumb

We'd like to have a rough count end of this week. This way Katie can start planning for how much food, and what to make.:slurp :dg :freaky

I just got back from doing the first round of track maintenance. Should have about a 3 mile loop.:ricky
  7. zorchdog

zorchdog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Craig I have a set of vacum tubes that I will bring around if someone wants to synch their carbs. Don't know if there is a vacum fittting on the carb though
  8. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    Bring it along. You hook up to intake barbs, that piece that was leaking on your's last year.
  9. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    Looks like we should have great group of about 10 riders so far, w/ a lot of projects going on. If you want to come you do not need to work on your bike to attend. Stop by to say high, meet some local...and not so local LC8 riders, or hit the trails to practice your skills.:ricky

I've picked up most of the parts required for each bike. Everyone will have there own box. I'll be PMing everyone on the list location and update info w/in a week or so.

If you are thinking of stopping by PM me for an address.

If you are planning on more than just an oil change I'd like you to arrive anytime on Fri. We will start w/ a Rekluse install around 10am.

Valves need to be checked when the bike is cool. Figure about 6hrs + of work for this job, plus cool down time. (Please don't stop by Sat at noon to do valves.)

Free camping FRI, SAT. SUN night if you need/want to.:thumb

We'll have food Fri and Sat night. Breakfast will be continental style. Lunches something easy...Subs, Pizzas.

(This is not a formal school or training weekend, I'm just offering this as a chance for all of us to learn something and share ideas. If how I work on my bike is not how you prefer to do it, by all means do it your way. I'm not forcing you to change. Track will be open, Ride at your own Risk)
  10. Monty_Burns

Monty_Burns Excellent.

Oddometer:
    Leaning towards a "Y" now, although I won't have much to do on my 950. This has been the lowest-mileage year of my adult life for motorcycling. :rofl
  11. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    No problem, be good to see you again.:freaky
  12. spirre

spirre Freedom!

Oddometer:
    Just wanna say that even tho I have no chance of attending in the foreseable future (livin in Oslo, norway :) ) I really love the fact that you're arranging these things CJracer.
    The community owes you for taking the time and effort.

Cheers !
  13. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    Cheers,

I'd love to come over and do one in your area.:wink: We could ride some "Fyords"...:ricky
  14. Shakeyhands

Shakeyhands Goober

Oddometer:
    You'd have to really, really over-inflate your tires to do that. :rofl
  15. sunsurfnride

sunsurfnride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Norway is fantastic, spent a few weeks in Bergen about 10 years ago.
  16. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    Maybe if I fill the tanks w/ Helium instead of petrol I can fly across????
  17. spirre

spirre Freedom!

Oddometer:
    You are welcome anytime (pref. summertime tho, gets a bit chilly in the winter :) )
    Havent got a workshop myself, but I am on rather good terms with a local ktm dealer and could prolly arrange something with him.

Would need at least 4-6 days for the riding to be "Fyords" tho, they are like 7-10 hours from Oslo, on the west coast :)

With or without workshop days, you are most welcome here, just gimme a heads up.
  18. mdfehrmann

mdfehrmann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    cj...sounds way cool dude. I'm thinking about heading up that way if I can.
    There is still plenty of learning to do about my 950 for sure...

-matthew
  19. gavP

gavP Old enough to know better

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great way to spend the w/e

Maybe get a european one going?

Spirre, planning on getting the 950 to Norway next year, I'll send you a PM later in the year
  20. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    About a week away.

Plans are for most of the work to be started on Fri. around 10am. Finished up on Sat. Test ride on Sun. I've got limited shop room this year, so unfortunately not everyone will be able to work on there bike inside. Oil changes are easily done outside anyways. I plan to offer as much info and demonstration that I can. You will be required to work on your own bike, (no better way to learn) but I will be more than willing to help and answer questions.

Some projects are:

Friday Aug 14th

-Rekluse/ update install Starting at 10 am.
    -Start valve check / oil change/ waterpump rebuild
    -Chain and sprocket changes
    -Brake pads

I'll be in need of a Valve shim change before my next trip, so I will have my bike torn apart for demonstration.

- Fri Dinner at the house, Sloppy Joes, Salad, chips.

Fri/ SAt Aug 15th

- Install new chain and sprockets
    - Check/ change brake pads
    - Rim lace/build up
    - Finish up valve check.

We may have a rider from the "North". All the way from Canada to demonstrate this Rim build-up.

- Finish up assembly

- Sat night dinner we plan to have food here. If you prefer anything special to drink, bring it along.:freaky

We've dug out our motorcycle movies and can have them going inside if you just want to lounge out or need a break.

Sun Aug 16th

- TIME TO RIDE:ricky
    - Take some laps on the track, if anyone is interested in trying out a Rekluse in a 950 I'll have my available for Demos on the track.

Around noon or 1, I'm going to swap my 17" rims on and we can head out for a loop to get some lunch. If anyone wants to test this out, It will be available.

Gives you a chance to see how versatile this bike is.

If the weather is nice and the track is not a sloppy mess the trails will be open to ride all weekend. I have about a 2.5-3 mile loop that is great practice on a 950 ADV. It's doable on good stock 950 tires when dry, yet still fun on smaller bikes. If you want to stop out to see some wrenching and hit the trails on your MX/DS bike, let me know so I can anticipate how large a group we'll have.

Lunches and breakfast are still up in the air. I may have some helpers that can do some running to get food for the group.

We've figured about 15-20 riders for meals, hope that will be enough.

The local dealer (Petrie Motorsports) is giving us a price break on parts and accessories. They offer a lot of support and knowledge for this event. So if there is anything you need for this event I can order it and have it here waiting for you. Contact me so I can make sure all the correct parts get ordered. This has worked well in the past and ensures you have all the parts needed to finish the task at hand. Also makes your travel easier if you plan to ride here.

I'll have room for free camping, bring the mosquito spray, I live in the woods. There are also Hotels in Town, I'm about 5 miles out.

That's it for now, dig out your tool kits and and find Mukwonago on the map. Hope to see you here.

cj

List of riders attending Yes/ Maybe/ When

1) cjracer Y *
    2) Katie Y *
    3) bmwgsbill Y *Fri night
    4) RC51950ADVAlpintac Y * Fri morn
    5) sunsurfnride Y *Fri morn
    6) Kdhmaico and Alexander Y
    7) pburke Y * Fri
    8) Blueflyer Y * Fri morn
    9) Monty Burns Y * Sat AM only
    10) FINNDIAN Y * Sat night