ABS Bypass doesn't stay activated

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Braindead, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Braindead

Braindead FMR

Oddometer:
    When I go through the ABS bypass procedure, the ABS light comes on and stays on until I let out the clutch, then it goes out and the ABS is active. This is on an 09 990 Adventure.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Bronco3738

Bronco3738 Mike

Oddometer:
    What year 990? Really the eastiet solution is to put a switch on the rear sensor. Then you can switch it off on the fly and it stays off till you want it back on.
  3. Just Paul

Just Paul Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    I think the thread name is flexing your abs.. PM me if you can't find the thread name. I have it bookmarked at home but I am at work now

its a $9 part from radio shack.. best mod ever. I flip off the switch at 90 mph and don't turn it back on until I hit the pavement.

to turn it back on you do have to turn off the bike and back on again but that's no biggie
  4. Salzig

Salzig Comfortably dumb

Oddometer:
    No need to switch off the bike:
    simply pull the clutch and shortly push the start button (I read it somewhere else here in the OC and it works).:clap
  5. Braindead

Braindead FMR

Oddometer:
    Thanks everybody. Paul, I haven't found the Flexing you abs thread yet, so I'll send a PM. I have never heard of this mod, I wonder how many other trick mods there are. Has anyone compiled a list?:freaky
  6. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
  7. Rock Junkee

Rock Junkee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Take the abs out it blows, it will save weight and make you feel better, i wonder how many ADV riders have eatn shit because of this , it is dangerous, i had a deer jump out in front of me and almost couldnt slow down in time because of this thats when i knew it was time to go!!! Plus gives you a neat little storage area under seat after taking it out...
  8. Adventure boy

Adventure boy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Id be interested in that thread aswell as Im in the middle of doing the ABS switch mod, so could you please post the link
    thanks
  9. Bronco3738

Bronco3738 Mike

Oddometer:
    He has a 2009, he can't get rid of the ABS with out switching out his dash. The systems changed in 2009. The ABS model and the R model read the speed differently. You can't just pull the ABS, trust me I've been trying to ditch mine for a while. The new dash is $560, and with out that, your speedometer wont work.

As for the switch mod, it's easy. Trace the rear ABS synsor wire from the rear rotor to the control box under the seat. Cut one of the signal wires, add a length of wire so you can install your switch where you want. I recomend somewhere you can get to quickly. Mount your switch, insulate your wires and your done. Flip the switch when you hit dirt. No worries about ABS ruining the fun. Flip it back when you hit the pavement, thumb your starter, the ABS will recycle and restart.

Here is a link where I was trying to remove the ABS from a 2009 model. I gave up installed a switch and have been very happy with the convenience of it. I have since moved my switch to the dash

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13201904&postcount=9
  10. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a way cool switch and bracket from Highway Dirt Bikes. The bracket replaces half the clamp for the front brake master cylinder and has room for two push buttons that they also sell.
  11. robdogg

robdogg turnip truck driver

Oddometer:
    my 2010 990A that I just picked up over the weekend, also won't stay shut off.. what is up with that? has anyone tried to get it fixed at the stealership rather then a hack solution of putting in a mechanical rocker switch? which I admit, I like the idea, but can't believe folks are not getting this fixed by their dealers.
  12. robdogg

robdogg turnip truck driver

Oddometer:
    est kaput?