Motorcyclist Magazine is a bunch of clowns

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Dogscout, Feb 29, 2012.

1. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most of the motorcycle mags are interchangeable. They all test the same bikes, equipment, etc. There's very little imagination or originality between them. About the only difference is some target 15 year holds, others target 19 year holds.
  2. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:

Yep what he said.

I shared subscriptions w/ a friend and the two mags we got were so similar in content it was pitiful. I dropped my subscription to Motorcyclist as I didn't think it was worth he money. As luck (good or bad) would have it I called in a free subscription to Motorcyclist through a Road gear promotion. That's the only way I'd get the rag. Still not very entertaining even at that price.

The only Mag I get is the BMW ON, it's about as good as any of the others.

The reading here is more entertaining and informative than any paid subscription, and met some great people through here...priceless........
    THANKS FELLOW ADV'rs
  3. 22224

22224 It matters not

Oddometer:
    Might be Cook needing the help........:rofl
  4. RSRennsport

RSRennsport Navigator

Oddometer:

I have been able to compare MotorCyclist to Cycle World and have found that CW, for me, is the better read.
    For me they seem more neutral. MC has a tendency to have/want to please their sponsors. Money talks.
  5. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I REALLY enjoy Joe Gresh's writing and there's just not that much of it on ADV. Peter Egan (CW) is funny too, in a similar but more subtle way. The technical explanations by Kevin Cameron (CW) are superb. Jack Lewis does take potshots at ADV, but some ADV posters seem to earn them. I haven't seen anything by Jeff Hughes for a while, but appreciated his philosophical approach in Sport Rider. These and other writers simply write better than the typical online post. I also read two classics mags but no particular writer stands out.

The reviews of next year's bikes with 5% more horsepower don't do much for me, but I am interested to read about the changes in technology that will be available in ALL bikes soon. It does "trickle down".

I'm glad to read these in addition to ADV. Neither the mags nor ADV has a monopoly on useful and entertaining writing.
  6. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
    Pretty muckin futch, lol :clap
  7. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    The really sad thing about any of the "enthusiast" mags is it only takes about an hour or less to read through them and then all they are good for is the trash.
  8. jjgres

jjgres Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are getting awfully narrow. 120 pages was normal a few years ago. For a while it was 98, now we are down to 90.
    If this pace keeps up, by 2023 readers will have to send us pages.
  9. jjgres

jjgres Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's the power of concise!