KTM LC4 (640) Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by meat popsicle, Jul 9, 2005.

1. pdxryder

pdxryder n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for preferences on a skid plate for my 2000 640 LC4 enduro. What do you guys use/suggest?

2. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Aside from recommending you do this in a skidplate thread (so discussions are more easily found) I recommend you also tell folks what you do (riding). Racers need different plates than Sunday riders.
  3. tdreyer

tdreyer KTiM

Oddometer:

And...there are a couple of skid plate threads for the LC4

Here
    here
    and
    here

Now that that is out of the way, lets talk about me :norton
    Does anybody have one of these, that doesn't work?

[​IMG]

I want to cannibalize the square 4 wire connector from the back. If anyone has one that they can't use??????
  4. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:

Go to eastern beaver, link, and buy them new. :deal

Looks like a 4 position Sumitomo HM to me..

[​IMG]
  5. jrozar

jrozar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know of a place I can find an LED rear brake light assembly for a 2006 KTM 640 Adventure?
  6. tdreyer

tdreyer KTiM

Oddometer:
    That is fantastic! I had looked for these things forever.

Do you know if I buy a "set" does it come with the pins as well as both halves? Guess I need to call 'and find out.

Thank you so much for the link!
  7. pdxryder

pdxryder n00b

Oddometer:
    Sorry for putting this in the wrong thread, and thanks for the advice/direction!
  8. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Page One; indexed thread!
  9. tdreyer

tdreyer KTiM

Oddometer:
    no sorry to me, you asked a Q, happy to try and steer you in the right direction:D Others may not be so inclined but hey, you gotta start somewhere. meat was mearly pointing out that this is the index thread and most everything you are looking for LC4 related is contained on the 1st page. If not, try a google search with advrider and key words, probably get you what you need.
  10. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    No template, drew on the back, followed a natural line and cut them on a small bandsaw. Both sides are done.

No issues at all. Much easier to remove the seat, no problems in heavy rain or mud. My son loves to customize stuff like that. At the same time we made the windscreen out of a piece of flexible plastic and duct taped it to the existing screen.

The whole set up went RTW, USA Russia, Mongolia, East-West Europe, Canada and home, then Mexico Guatemala, the USA-Canyonlands and so on.

Still got the pieces I removed...be glad to mail them?
    bill
  11. psychocandy

psychocandy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey all,

So just recently, my high beam stopped working. I thought it had just burnt out since I used the high beam all the time since the light output from the teeny enduro headlight is a bit less than what I'm used to.

But the bulb was fine and I noticed that high beam works when I use the little flasher/passing button on the headlight switch. My fuses look to be good, although there seems to be some creative after market wiring involved. I'm wondering if the flasher bypasses the high beam relay.

I don't have the manual for my bike, or a wiring diagram. Is that little white box behind the headlight with 4 contacts the headlight relay. I know the wiring on these bikes is pretty simple, but it's all kinda packed into the tiny headlight shell and I don't wanna unravel everything and potentially cause more problems.

Advice?
  12. HydroDog

HydroDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are they not just the stock Super Trapp disc's?
  13. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Wamt 'em? Got 'em for the '02 stock muff for postage.

bill
  14. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    aftermarket wiring? The most likely would be to bypass the stock headlight circuit with heavier gauge wiring (so they are properly fed); if that's the case then the lil' white box would indeed be a relay so the circuit is switched by your key.

You can get owner's manuals from KTM:
    http://www.ktm.com/us/faqs.html
    (older than 2000 via the dealers)

The shop manual is a purchase item from KTM, but you can also find it via some 3rd party downloads (user beware!).

15. vburgh

vburgh Semper Fidelis

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bill I found some today local.
  16. Tonicu

Tonicu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I arrived this afternoon from a very much enjoyed morning excursion into the nearby woods. Carburettor problems and stalling sorted out, a worn slide, float and needle being the culprits.
    So after cleaning the bike, when I was about to oil the chain I noticed quite a lot of play in the rear sprocket - the bearing being the cause, I guess - and more worrying, I also noticed some axial play on the front sprocket shaft. I changed the sprocket seal about one year and 10k kms. ago and by then there was no noticeable play.
    Er ... if the shaft inner bearing needs a replacement does it mean I'd have to take the engine apart ... completely? :huh
    From what I've read, the f/s axial play tolerance is 0.4mm. I'd say it's around or perhaps a bit more than that.
    My LC4 is a '03 640E with 49k kms on the clock.
  17. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    They go great with a freshened up carb don't they? :wink: the wear happens slowly so you don't realise how crappy the fuelling has got.

When I rebuilt my motor the axial play on the countershaft was at the limit - with new bearings - I double checked everything but couldn't find anything wrong. It's done 25K km since with no problems. Maybe get an accurate measure of it then check again after a few hundred km. Make sure the engine is at a similar temperature to get a good comparison.

Cheers
    Clint
  18. F1paul

F1paul Adventurer

Oddometer:
    anybody have a FSM for the 640 motor that they would like to share?

i have recently noticed oil leaking from behind the front sprocket.......i have only had the bike for three months and just this week started noticing oil spray on the rear wheel and a few drops of oil on the ground under the engine of the bike after sitting a hour or so.
    i took the plastic cover off where the front sprocket is and looks like it is coming from somewhere behind the sprocket.....is there some kind of gasket or something there that would be leaking?
    i havent taken the sprocket off yet because i am using the bike for work and it is beatiful weather right now in toronto.
    plus i dont want to attempt without an FSM before buying required part and having my bike out of service.

also the owners manual does not say what the sight glass is on the right side of the motor ..... i know the left side with the two hash marks is the oil fill level but can anybody enlighten me what the right side is for...because it is not showing anything inside...i believe it is crankcase oil also but does not show anything until the bike is started.

thank in advance........Paul.
  19. Gerst

Gerst Been here awhile

Oddometer:

For the leak I'd start here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102920

I believe the sole purpose of the right side glass is to see the timing mark
  20. programradio

programradio Master of None

Oddometer:
    I believe the sole purpose of the right side glass is to keep the oil companies in business. :lol3

1. i've never been able to see a damn thing through mine; and
    2. it seems impervious to sealing.

[replaced my stator with the electrosport upgrade (commence flaming :hide) this weekend and tried sealing the sightglass again (probably the third time). i did a much better job of cleaning and allowing the sealant to set, so fingers crossed!]