DR650 Shock Rebuild

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by P-nut, Jan 14, 2008.

1. neepuk

neepuk Such a drag...

Oddometer:
    Got my shock today. Put it on and went for a ride. On-Road only so far.... Damn, this thing is NICE! So smooth, so responsive.

Rick PM coming!
  2. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    I spent a little time riding my DR a step beyond what it was intended for on this past Saturday and was really impressed by how well it "held the trail" at speed. I was chasing a couple good riders on a TE610 and an XR650. There are about 30 of the Cogent Dynamics modified shocks out there in the world, I would love to hear some feed back. Do I need to do more later this year? Take it to the next level and build a full replacement?
  3. lightfighter

lightfighter where does this go?

Oddometer:
    in what price range would a replacement be? i'd certainly be interested in having mine rebuilt this fall, i'd be interested in a drop in upgrade... the only thing that's stopped me thus far is not wanting to be bikeless for several weeks, (and economic timing).
  4. Jackazz

Jackazz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Rick,
    I was out on my DR yesterday and ended up on some really tight mountain bike trails and some mild whoops and log crossings and the bike did great. Your rear shock is awesome, it's the forks that need work. I did the emulators and new springs and at speed they are ok but they are still kind of bouncy on slow tight stuff.
    Your setup has alllowed me to have fun riding stuff that would have been more work with the stock suspension.
    My 2 cent's, Tim
  5. Fubars

Fubars What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer:
    I've been pretty happy with my shock done since Rick did it. I've ridden the bike through everything/anything. The preload on the spring had 3 3/8" of sag when we measured it after installation, so I loosened the adjuster collar 2 full turns. Haven't messed with the rebound or compression adjusters at all. Nice job, Rick.
  6. chrisp929

chrisp929 n00b

Oddometer:
    i just have 3 questions ..

1. when is next batch being done?
    2. how much for full set up for 230lb+ rider including anodizing and eibach spring upgrade for said weight ?
    3. whats turn around time?

thanks
  7. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    Thanks folks!

Not sure about the next batch, I was thinking people would not want their bikes down during the summer. I can do them when ever but I really need 6-7 of them to make the anodizing inexpensive.

$379 to "DO" the shock and $120 or $40 for anodizing (dependent on number of shocks).

I have new 7.4 Kg/mm springs for the modified shock at $93.

The full replacement adds a bunch because of the remote reservoir and triple adjustable set up. I guess We would be looking at something in the $750 range for a totally new shock
  8. ninja gwairf

ninja gwairf B-D-S-R.

Oddometer:
    Finally have the money to do this! A month later, any idea when the next batch is going to be? Thanks
  9. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    Not really the time of year for a lot of people to have their bikes down for a bit. I did have one inquiry last week. Email me at raceparts (at) motocd (dot) com and I can start a list. I do have a shock I can do an exchange with but in needs to be anodized (if that is an option you would like.
  10. Lil' Steve

Lil' Steve Every day is Saturday

Oddometer:
    Just trying to see if you're doing another batch anytime soon. Myself and perhaps another friend are interested.
  11. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    :super
  12. itsforrest

itsforrest Ugly bag of mostly water

Oddometer:
    Send Rick an Email, his email addy is a few posts back. Even though he seems to watch the forums, you're bound to get a quicker response contacting him directly. He's got my shock right now, or maybe the anodizer does at this moment.
  13. Lil' Steve

Oddometer:
    Will do, thx.
  14. Lil' Steve

Oddometer:
    I just got off the phone with Rick and he's had a few inquiries already so he'd like to do a batch in just a few weeks, sometime in early November.
    If there's any interest from anyone here, shoot an e-mail to raceparts at motocd dot com to get on the mailing list for the shock rebuild. Let him know that you're interested in the DR650 shock rebuild and give him some contact info and he'll get back to you.

The costs for the rebuild will be $399 and the hard coating option will be determined by how many shocks he gets for the batch, he estimates it's going to be $60 or so.
  15. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    Just a tease! Here is a customer DR shock being tested. This one is set up for a SuperMoto.

[​IMG]
  16. Bgunn

Bgunn Listo

Oddometer:
    I've got " one in the oven" too. Can't wait to enjoy the DR on a different level.
  17. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    perty much done with this batch and starting to plan the next.

I have a customers DR 650 SM in the shop, he wants me to make it work like a real supermoto. should be fun! It is a great looking bike!!
  18. redfishguide

redfishguide Old Dirt Biker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Rick,

I have a shock ready to send. Just let me know when you are doing a batch. Also sent an email.

Thanks,
    Jack
  19. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    I am waiting for some clevis parts so I can pre-assemble the shaft modules. I also have 13 sets of forks to get finished befor the bench is clear for the build. End of the month sound good?

We found ot we are now the #1 Racetech center in the country (in the World too, I think) on this past Friday. that is great news for a shop where I am doing most all the work (wrench turning). I do get behind so I want to be sure I can provide a reasonable turnaround before having folks take off the shocks and send them in. I we are at 35 DR shocks (Cogent re-engineered) and the list for the next build is growing. Cool stuff!
  20. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    Good on 'ya :freaky