2012 Ninja 650

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cabanza, Oct 10, 2011.

1. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
    It’s tamer than I expected. It's still powerful as fak (to me) but it doesn't surprise you. I had it in my head, that it looks like a supersport, it’s gonna be super aggressive. But, you know exactly what to expect and when to expect it power wise.

The suspension is better than that in my wife car. It’s super comfy but at the same time not squishy at all. It’s not race hard, like I think I’d prefer, but I think it’s still really well done.

It’s definitely a sport touring bike, which cool, because that’s what I needed. A small, lightweight, sporty, touring (commuter) bike.

Love it.
  2. Gas Hog

Gas Hog Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer:
    Nice! Love the pictures, as I just bought one Fri sight unseen. It was their first 2012. Should have it over here for pictures next week. :wink:
    Gary
  3. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
    What color?

I have the Candy Lime Green. I have to work late all weekend, but I plan on taking some good photos on Monday.
  4. Gas Hog

Gas Hog Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer:
    Same, So two Candy green, and one Pearl Orange in the shop at the same time. :huh
    Will make a great picture :1drink
    Gary
  5. Bongolia

Bongolia stop acting

Oddometer:
    I have to say the ER6N is pretty nice. What are these engines like, character wise?

[​IMG]
  6. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    I dunno. I guess they are like a counterbalanced parallel twin. Short stroke though, so they like to rev. The fueling on my '06 was perfect, no flat spots or hesitations.

I used to leave work by turning from a gravel road onto a 70mph highway. Easy on the throttle until off the gravelly apron, then WFO. At the shift into second, a waggle as the bars got light. Then a little waggle again into third. If I kept after it I could hit 200kph on the GPS in a reasonable distance, but it really excelled in 2nd-4th gear, 40-90mph. I miss that; could flog it without a felony but still really haul ass.

I wouldn't say that the motor is coarse, but you definitely feel it. Mine liked to roll at an indicated 90mph, which was actually 80, because under 6k RPMS it was a little vibey.

They aren't fast bikes, but they are quick.
  7. Sumo64c

Sumo64c Long timer

Oddometer:
    I owned a 09 ER6N, mounted givi bags and trunk on it and put 30,000 miles on it before trading it in. The 650 kawa twin is a nice powerplant, 75mph all day long with 50mpg. Plenty of passing power at interstate speed if you need it also, if they dropped this motor in the klr650 it would be a wonderful thing.
  8. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  9. Bongolia

Bongolia stop acting

Oddometer:
    Sounds interesting. I'm thinking 650 is the ideal size for a parallel twin. Good mpg too.
  10. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't remember where, but I recently saw a photo of the naked frame for this bike. To an engineer/designer it's a work of art (maybe even to a real artist!)) The least possible amount of material, sculpted into the most effective shape...perfection!
    The material in question is, of course steel tubing , but it's equal in fancy aluminum extrusion would be only modestly lighter for many times the cost. What mass there is, is concentrated where it will do the least harm. I'd been looking for a mid-sized sport bike (after swearing off liter machines) & test drove the 2010 version. It was an absolute hoot. I do take a couple of multi-thousand mile tours every summer 'tho & the GSX 650 F looked to be a bit better for mile eating on motorways, (plus the deal I got on a "new" leftover couldn't be refused). That said it was still close. If the final price tag had come within $200 of each other, I would have been all over that little green devil. Kawi is indeed stepping up.
  11. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. jmlmjmjm

jmlmjmjm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Motorcycle Consumer News, March 2012 issue.
  13. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    Rather flat delivery from almost idle to around 7000, then you get a
    nice kick from 7 to 9k, but it's faster from 4 to 5k rpms then any
    4 cylinder 600 regardless of power, and that's where mine spent
    most of it's time.

You can short shift, it won't mind anything above 3500 revs in 6th and
    will return better MPG figures then most 250cc scooters.

The engine is buzzy though, but again best between 4000 and 5500.

The Versys has better torque and is even flatter, will raise the front wheel
    off the ground in 2nd, but has no high-rpm kick.

People say the 650R has similar delivery to the BMW boxers, can't confirm
    that one though.
  14. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^ ditto on everything he said.
  15. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    :freaky
  16. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. pachap

pachap CANNOT RIDE

Oddometer:
    I was getting ready to pull the trigger on something 650 from Kawasaki. Not picky at all, Versys, Ninja 650, ER6N, any of them would do. Just depended on what kind of price I could get. Transmission on wife's SUV went out this morning :cry. No new bike for a while.

My dad has a 2011 ER650. I rode it for a few miles and was instantly sold on it.
  18. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bummer, pachap. Good news is they'll be even cheaper next time you get a chance! I can't believe the prices on '09 ER-6N models I've seen, sub-4k for low miles stock ones. :evil
  19. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
    Forgot about this thread, lol...

I checked on the recall posted above, my VIN wasn't effected. :freaky
  20. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap Gruntled and Imperturbable

Oddometer:
    If you ever park your bike in a heavy wind, it is much more stable on a center stand. I was at an ADV gathering where a versys was blown over in a strong wind.