Barrancas Del Cobre

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by The Walrus, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:
    it does indeed. and close to Canada too

http://blackdogcw.com/black-dog-sho...ure/heidenau-k60-dual-sport-tires-detail.html

Kurt and Martha are good folks.
  2. Dirt1st

Dirt1st Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great ride report that brought back a lot of memories. In 2004, five or six if us rode pretty much the same route except we started in Alamos and rode to Choi, then on to Urique, Batopilas, etc. When we left Chinipas, ordinarily you would ford the river, as the only bridge across the river was the foot bridge. During the night before we left on the last leg back to Alamos, there had been more than a little rain in the mountains upstream. The river was running fast and deep - too deep for the bikes, so we jumped up on the foot bridge and dodged the school kids walking from the other side of the river into town for school.

From the looks of your photos, the roads, food, and accommodations have improved in the last 8 years. We went in April, at the end of the wettest spring they had had in years, so some of the "roads" were pretty rough.

Thanks again for the memories.
  3. The Walrus

The Walrus Gone and back again.

Oddometer:
    It's great to hear that our trip is enjoyed by so many others.....we struggled to have a good time.......:lol3

With a little hindsight, I would now consider this ride as going through the backdoor to this region. With a counterclockwise, east to north then west orientation, it's a bit more interesting to me. Most folks seem to drop in through Chihuahua and hit the larger, tourista areas first. This route brings you in to the region and backwoods before you ride through those areas. It gives me a lot of appreciation for CeeBee blazing this path.....:clap

In fact, I would really enjoy his original route of riding south through Baja, ferrying across from La Paz to Topolobampa then riding Barrancas del Cobre and leaving to the north.......Who's IN........?............:ear
  4. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:
    What timeline are you thinking of? I know CeeBee, just don't remember the ride your referring to...... it's probably in my head someplace.

Well, Baja, Mexico, cheap cervesa, ...... humm, where's the down side of this.
  5. Live2Ride

Live2Ride Not Famous

Oddometer:
    Did somebody say Baja? :ear I am getting a new bike to try out down there.
    [​IMG]

6. CeeBee

CeeBee The Cake Baker

Oddometer:
    Hello Sam,
    See post #218 :deal That's the Baja ride where you and I met.
    Your not getting that old - are you? :rofl :freaky
  7. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:
    That Ride! OH, now I remember how could I forget Great time. And you got to meet Malcolm :clap

Hey my niece is having her first kid soon so I might ride down to visit this summer so I'd make sure to meetup for a cold one... this time.
  8. The Walrus

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Hola,

For those of you have followed this Ride Report and the Minnesota Ride Report, I'd like to discuss a couple pertinent points that might apply to all of us AdvRiders.

La Lajitas is not a mainstay stop for big groups. It doesn't have much in the way of amenities and they don't have great resources available in their lives. We probably raised their expectations when we left a rather large tip for the breakfast. Admittedly, we were spoiled by the outstanding chicken dinner and Tecate's the night before.....but then they tried to escalate their charges for the next riders that came through.....not that I blame them but there's a lesson here.....

Morelos is another basket of puzzles. After thinking through our experience, reading older posts from 5 years ago and hearing about the Minnesota experience, it seems to me:

There are 3 buildings including the Hotel, restaurant and the building with the Morelos banner (behind the white pickup) that are all painted the same color. Everybody has ignored that third building that's part of the hotel parking lot. The focus has been on the armed CP that stood on the restaurant roof in front of it. I think it's an unfortunate coincidence that the parking lot/hotel are located in that spot.

Maybe they were "guarding" that third building which was their Community Voting Center? They were working on it when we arrived and the kids that followed Chabon and me back to the hotel were all clustered around and in it. If there's a facility that they would value and protect, it makes sense to me that it's important to them. I think there's sign that said the elections are in early July, maybe the 4th? That spot is also just inside the entrance to their town and absolutely made for a sentry position.

As I've said throughout this report, think of your neighborhood and its facilities and how you would react to 3, 5 or 7 "foreigners" who show up on cross country motorcycles. And remember that we're geared up much like their military, nobody else on motos had helmets, gloves or boots except us and the military. How would our Homeland Security react?

I know this is a bit long winded but I think it's really important for us to think things through and apply the lessons to the next ride we make.....

Was there anybody really scary in this photo....including the guy in the uniform.....?.......everybody is smiling as far as I can see....

[​IMG]

Rant over.....:wave.........:lol3
    catfish likes this.
  9. Sleddog

Sleddog Ridin, again:)

Oddometer:
    Good Post! And Please, do not take any of my comments regarding La Lajitas or Morelos as anything against anything you guys did or didn't do. We joked about running into the places you had been! It was all part of the experiences on the trip & like you, was just reporting our experience! :beer

Sleddog
  10. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sledog did your group get chicken dinner at the Pollo building?, It was amazing, and later I went over for another 6 of Tecate when inside the kitchen I went over to the wood stove and warmed my hands said oh this feels good.I took the 6er back to the group. 10 min later a group of guys showed up with a wheel barrow of firewood and we had a fire going right out front for a few hours. About 8pm the cerveza were winding down and the talk turned to politics, I went to bed. When I came out the next morning 6:30 am, our fire was still so I started it up again, then came the good breakfast, where we paid 100 pesos apiece, hence the raised rates. While we were there Mike found that his tail trunk bag had lost one side seam stiching, I had a full fixit kit so we thought a little triming of the pastic and maybe some zip ties and it would be fixed. We showded the owner the problem and asked if she could trim the plastic for us, she brought it back fully repired and hand stiched up, no charge, wonderfull folks there.
  11. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:

We ate at this small restaurant just down the road from the vacant Pollo building. We had a nice dinner, and it was fun interacting with the families young daughter who was practicing her English with us.

[​IMG]
  12. Sleddog

Sleddog Ridin, again:)

Oddometer:
    No we didn't. We were in town pretty early & had to wait for her to come. But the "Boys" tried frantically to contact her. They were on their radios repeatedly chanting her name. We ended up waiting a couple hours & went to the restaurant up the hill a ways. Nice people, we had fun talking our Spanglish with the daughter!
    When the owner of the Hotel arrived, she was a Hoot! I wish we spoke better Spanish we'd of had a lot more fun. When negotiating the price of the room it was like being at an auction! She did ask if we needed Supper & we said no being we just ate.....Guess we missed out!

We looked around for some wood for a fire. We were about ready to fire one of these up.

[​IMG]
  13. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    What a great (old) thread! Super pictures, route info and common sense discussion. I can see you guys have fun.

A few of us old guys (65-75) are headed down in late march/early April of 2014. Riding BMW 800s, 1200s and 990 KTM. Based on your report, I think we will change our route to go down the coast (from Yuma or Lukeville) through Guaymas and reach Batopilas from the south. We are going to then take the ferry from Las Mochis to Lapaz, quick little trip to Cabo then north on Baja all the way back to Yuma.

I will start a separate thread to get some suggestions. But, I liked your thread so much and felt that it related perfectly to the way we like to make these trips, that I thought I'd put it to the experts. Hope you don't mind the incursion.

Comments, suggestions, wanna come along???

Thanks again for a great thread!!
  14. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Someone deleted all my photos, I did not do it, someone else with computer skills did it, do you know who Doug?
  15. chabon

chabon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It seems like its a problem with your photobucket account. If you renamed the photos or folder in photobucket that would break the links. See if they still exist in your photobucket account.

You had some good pics. It would be nice if they reappeared!

(You are the only one that has access to your posts on advrider. But since all the pics are gone it has to do with photobucket)
  16. akaDigger

akaDigger Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 It happened to me too. I had posted the ride report then later put all the report photos in a separate folder. Had to go back and reinsert all the photos.
  17. The Walrus

Oddometer:
    Although it's a few years later, this ranks as one of my top 3 rides and having read through it tonight was a joy.

So in spite of the fact that Mexico and this regional ride are not the same, neither are we. New pavement and new challenges between and within our countries still leave me astonished at how well this group did.

Salutos mi' Amigos.
    slowriding likes this.
  18. chabon

chabon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That was a good time! Nice to have the ride report to wake up the memories. Need to go back and fix some broken links, etc. Now I am thinking of not selling the WR250X just in case a ride to Copper Canyon is in the future...... Glad Mike made the trip, miss ya buddy.

[​IMG]
    The Walrus likes this.
  19. akaDigger

akaDigger Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would like to express my gratitude for your sharing this RR. I read it from its inception four years ago. It inspired me. It set into motion a series of events that changed me and my riding forever.
    The Walrus, chabon and jimmex like this.
  20. The Walrus

Oddometer:
    One more bump for the Anniversary of this ride.
    And before Pbucket breaks the rest of the photo links.
    :finger