MotoGP 2013 Indianapolis - questions from a first time attendee

Discussion in 'Racing' started by whitebreadadv, Jul 10, 2013.

1. nunzo

nunzo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been to MotoGP 4 years in a row. The Meridian at night is fantastic, the Indy Miule at the fairground is also a must see. they used to have EnduroCross Friday night which was a blast.

We sit in the penthouse Section E and enjoy watching the Ducatisti at Ducati Island.:D
  2. whitebreadadv

whitebreadadv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. BigEasy

BigEasy Fish Eyed Heathen

Oddometer:
    Currently they're only offering them to ticket package holders, you need a promo code for that link to work. The email I got said they would open them to the masses soon.

If you just have to have them now, p.m. Me and I'll give you my code.
  4. whitebreadadv

whitebreadadv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes I should have mentioned the promo code in my other post but I spaced out. I won't be using my promo code, so if someone wants it PM me.
  5. BigEasy

BigEasy Fish Eyed Heathen

Oddometer:
  6. Patrol

Patrol VALE 46!

Oddometer:
    Plan for extreme heat. If you take the paddock tour (I believe it is still offered at Indy) and ask very nicely the crews will sometimes let slip where they are dining that night. Good opportunity to get an autograph or pic on their way out.
  7. Mgbgt89

Mgbgt89 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Motorcycles on meridian downtown is really cool. Thousands upon thousands of bikes of all types. It happens Friday and Saturday night.

The mile is not to be missed. I think standing along the fence in the infeild is the best place to watch, just because you're so freaking close to the bikes. One year i stood the entire race at the top of the hill where the turn three tunnel went under, I can't believe they let us stand there. We were just feet from the edge of the track. There were officials standing on the other side of a piece of caution tape and never said a word. I didn't go last year to flat track because i heard they weren't allowing infield veiwing.

The short track is really cool to see as well. The first time i saw speedway bikes there i was amazed.

Moto GP is just a small part of the weekend to me. It's non-stop motorcycle racing, and one of my favorite weekends of the year. I grew up going to IMS, (my dad took me to time trials at 2 years old) and its awesome to see bikes racing there now.

There is tons of camping in the coke lot across Georgetown from turn 4 of the oval. It's.... an interesting place. Never camped there for Moto GP, but never miss a 500 in the coke lot. Many people go to the coke lot that never set foot inside the speedway. The partying (for the 500 and 400 at least) is legendary.

At the other end of the track, east of the museum entrance on 16th street there is grass camping that is much, much, much tamer than Georgetown road. My dad has camped there several times for Indy and you can actually get sleep there that doesn't have to be induced by large amounts of alcohol.

There was camping mentioned across from the start finish line, never camped there, but it is close proximity to Georgetown road which is a party until 3 or 4 am or whenever the cops decide the party is over. Its kinda in the middle of everything. If you're into long walks, Camp in whats called the "lions lot" It's a section of the coke lot at the far south west corner, 29th and lynhurst ave, or somewhere around there. There is a creek that divides the coke lot into the main part, and the small lions club section. If you get there early get a spot along the woods and you're isolated more from the mayhem of the main part of the coke lot. Still won't sleep, but you won't have assholes like me stumbling into your camp at 2 in the morning.
  8. Vbird

Vbird In Room 237

Oddometer:
    +1 It's a BIG track with lots of walking to get anywhere.
  9. Mgbgt89

Mgbgt89 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Big is an understatement. From where i camp to where i watch the 500 it's a 1 hour walk MINIMUM. Usually 2 hours if its hot and i've been drinking. Then again i camp at the far end of the coke lot. I cringe at the poor women i see dressed in black shirts wearing high heels, making the long walk across the infield. It can be pouring rain at one end of the track and be sunny and dry at the other, It's big.

My favorite graphic of IMS:

[​IMG]

Fun fact off the IMS website:

Q. How big is the Speedway property?
    A. The Speedway property encompasses 1,025 acres in northwest Indianapolis, including the track, Administration Building, Brickyard Crossing Golf Course and various parking areas.
  10. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Show up at 6:00 am at the Sheridan City Centre dining room and wear a red polo shirt. The whole Ducati team will be breakfasting. You'll fit right in. :deal

:rofl
  11. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, it's a big facility. But any roadracing fan is accustomed to walking. A tour of Road Atlanta is a bigger ordeal than a walk across the perfectly flat IMS grounds. The MotoGP course uses only a small portion of the IMS facility.
  12. r_crabb

r_crabb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad I found this thread. I won a contest, and will be attending the Indy GP in the Turn 9 club with my 3-year-old son. I know there's a Kid Zone at IMS, but does anyone know of additional activities that my kid will enjoy?
  13. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer:
    My first year at Indy, Monster Energy gave me full access. Including access to the Monster Tech 3 team garages and to the Yamaha Hospitality garage (Had lunch with Rossi's crew that years).
    Spent the weekend trying to out-Java Monster Scott Russell...I lost miserably.
    This was 2009 and I had the same access as the VIP village folks as a "Guest of Monster/Tech III".

That being said, it is a great way to accidentally get up close and personal with some of the riders. The big names are cordoned off though. Rossi, Lorenzo...they were the top dogs at the time and they had their area roped off and there were a bunch of handlers. I did manage to get my GP Tech Dreamtime replica autographed but it was almost a wrestling match to do so.

Some of the lesser name riders are far more approachable. James Toseland at the time hung out and chatted with fans. Colin came up to our suite and hung out with us for about half the 125 race. Capirex almost ran me over on his scooter and then turned around and came back and apologized. The Mole chatted with my roommate at the time for a good 20 minutes. And The Schwantz was with us. Meaning my roommate got some pics with him.

But all in all, it was one of those things that I would have to debate very hard to repeat. Maybe at a different venue but guys like Simoncelli who would hang out with the fans are getting fewer and far between.

$250 is pretty close to top dollar that I would pay out of pocket for the experience.
    I also had the option to watch from the Tech III garage or the suite...neither place was close to being the best seat in the house. That would be the hill on the outside of turn 8. And its general admission. Great views.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. yooperbikemike

yooperbikemike high, wide and handsome

Oddometer:
    At most AMA venues, you don't have too park in one spot and hoof it everywhere. If you get motorcycle parking, try to get in the museum lot and not on the backstretch. One year I paid one of the private lots across the street from the S/F line. Much less walking.
  15. spezjag

spezjag Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    When my kid was three, he really enjoyed the cosplay hookers and high quality blow over at the GenCon convention.
  16. yooperbikemike

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  17. yooperbikemike

Oddometer:
    Well, I bit the bullet and bought an expensive ticket. Thanks for the heads up on the paddock passes.
  18. yooperbikemike

Oddometer:
    Now, where's the best hotel to stay at? In the past I've stayed in the hinterlands because it was free (hotel points, baby!).
  19. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    There isn't a lot close to the track itself...and that isn't exactly the Ritz over there. Plus there is a comic convention or something, so I would look around Noblesville/Carmel for a room, as long as you are close to 465 you can get to the track in a half hour or so.

Traffic isn't really an issue if you get there in the AM.
  20. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer:
    Personal recommendations...

Drury Inn on the north side (the Ducati nuts will be there)
    Embassy Suites on Vincennes

I spent some time in some sleazier joints when I was testing 911 for Sprint there but I wouldn't recommend them unless you haven't had scabies at least once in your life.