Motorcycle Insurance

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by misterjack, Feb 12, 2013.

1. misterjack

misterjack Universal

Oddometer:
    Im a 20 year old and I've got a KLR 650 im trying to insure starting in March and id like to find the best possible rate available. Please provide any and all advice.
  2. cablebandit

cablebandit Web Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The only advice you need is to call around. Nothing you read here will have any thing to do with quotes YOU get.
  3. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    You'll get a lower rate if you do the doohickey mod. Even lower still if you install a milk crate on the rear rack. I'd read that hand guards fashioned out of old gallon milk jugs can help too.
  4. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Cops dont pull over KLR's as a rule.

Your rates will be cheap.

Mine about 200 bucks a year, but I am old.
  5. GPrairie_Rider

GPrairie_Rider Dirt Junkie

Oddometer:
    If you are young try Allstate. I just insured my new to me XRL. I got full coverage for about $70 bucks a months. Alot cheaper than what i was paying at State Farm. It also helps if you have taken your MSF course.

Chris
  6. Wlfman

Wlfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    As Bandit said. YOU have to make the calls or online quotes. Ask 100 people about insurance and you'll get 200 different replies.
  7. SkiBumBrian

SkiBumBrian DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer:
    Mine is 100.00 a year, but these guys are right, you gotta call. My experience is the quote you get from one is gonna be close to all of them. My calls didn't vary 10 bucks....
  8. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Motorcycle insurance makes no sense to me.

I transferred my liability only policy from an 1985 XL600R to my 2000 640 LC4E and my State Farm rates went way down for the exact same coverage. My State Farm rate was less than Progressive even when I added theft.

But then when I insured my MXC200 the Progressive rate with full comp/collision/theft coverage was the exact same amount as liability coverage only from State Farm. So go online and get quotes from everybody.

The nice thing about being (way) over 30 is neither of them is much more $100 per year. But even back when I was a young punk with full coverage on a financed bike the cost was still pretty reasonable.
  9. JBradley500

JBradley500 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm 25 and my KLR is 57 dollars a year through State Farm. It depends on you though it seems. Calling around is your best bet for sure.