With the Triumph 800xc out would you still buy an F800gs?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by veloce, Jul 6, 2011.

1. JRose

JRose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I might be a horrible BMW owner, because I really liked the Tiger I rode...

I want one.
  2. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think that is an overstatement. This thread is certainly not as bad as the one in Beast where some Triumph owners weren't satisfied with the bikes just having different approaches. Their bike just had to be better in every way.

Better at what? Loading it up with a lot of aftermarket farkles, running down the highway with an occasional dirt road? In all honesty that is where most adventure bikes end up and you don't need a dedicated bike to do it.

I wasn't impressed with German engineering or quality control. The warranty fixed the quality issues and I addressed suspension and abrupt throttle issues.

According to 800XC owners theirs were perfect on delivery, so I have to give Triumph credit for doing it right. I think BMW is doing better, I know a lot of the complaints have been addressed, but most of them were really BS anyway.

For ME, my modified F800gs is just fine. It is not a slug, certainly as fast as the 800xc up to any speed I will be riding it. I like the power delivery. Lots of torque (more than 800Xc) that gets the power to the ground without a lot of wheel spin nor a need to continually shift gears. Boring to some I guess, but a benefit off pavement. Not a fast turning bike, but I am continually impressed with how stable my bike is off tarmac. Get out of shape and a little throttle brings you back.

They are what they are, find one that fits you.
  3. JustBob

JustBob Uh...who me? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Speed. Coming back from Daytona, a friend on his 800XC and me on my F800GS, both loaded and on a straight back road did a few roll-on tests. One starting in 4th gear and one starting in 6th. My GS, in both cases eased away from his Triumph until we stopped the contest around 110 or so.
    Having done a comparo for BMW MOA magazine between these two bikes (and an R100GS to add to the fun) I was a bit surprised by this. The 800XC has one fine smooth motor with plenty of what you need for any realistic situation. My GS does too, just not as butter smooth, but with the character of a boxer twin ( which I like). Anyway, Triumph obviously took aim at the F8GS and did quite well. I just wish either would come with decent suspension. Now at 24,000 miles, my F8GS is running strong so rather than do what I normally do with a bike that's 4 years old, I didn't sell it but upgraded with Ohlins on both ends. I think I would have done the same with the 800XC had I bought it first. My friend really likes his and uses it for everything....sport touring, dirt riding, whatever.
  4. kinimod

kinimod Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What exactly from Ohlins did you put, only springs, springs in front, complete shock in the back or something else?
    How does it feel now after the upgrade?
  5. JustBob

Oddometer:
    I got from FastBikeIndustries in Hendersonville, NC, a BM043 Ohlins shock with the appropriate spring for my weight. It's on the bike. The forks are at the shop waiting parts for the "Ohlins 30mm fork kit" plus SKF seals. He uses my tubes and replaces the internals. He will put the appropriate springs in the forks. The bike is now suspended, Ohlins shock installed, awaiting forks. So I can't say how the bike rides. At 24,000 miles it was time for a service so I just went all out. Total cost is $2,250 for both ends.
  6. steveWFL

steveWFL Long timer

Oddometer:
    :evil :D Best mod money ever spent^^^^^^^^^
  7. JustBob

Oddometer:
    Yep. This is the same guy who did the work on my MultiStrada. Turned it into a bike worthy of the engine.
  8. kinimod

kinimod Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmm sounds great and the money spent isnt so ridiculous. Iam interested how would it feel and also the reliability, so please write when you get the bike.
  9. JustBob

Oddometer:
    No reason to believe that the reliability will be any less than it was. At least now I will have units that are designed to be overhauled periodically. The ride should be fun. On-road was the weakest link with this bike with a non-responsive rear and spongy front. Off-road it was OK. We shall see. I should have the forks on next week.
  10. Big Poppa T

Big Poppa T I love it when you call me Big Poppa

Oddometer:
    I'm debating between 800xc and f800 so this thread was really helpful. Going back to the OP question, "with the triumph 800xc out would you still buy an f800gs?" Other than the quote above I've heard a resounding "hell yeah I would" from all of you BMW owners who posted. Glad to hear it. I'm gonna ride both, go with my gut and make the right decision for me. If it doesn't work out no big deal cuz I'll sell it and try another one. I definitely lean toward the BMW. It gets 115 where I live and I don't want my leg to melt from engine heat.
  11. kinimod

kinimod Adventurer

Oddometer:
    well i heard of some reliability issues with people changing to Ohlins from stock on 1200gs, so that is why ive commented it. But i would be glad to hear your impressions when you get your bike back.
  12. kinimod

kinimod Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I forgot to ask you is that 30mm kit somekind of special kit for f800 or it is something modified by fastbikeindustries. Because on Ohlins page I see those kits only for hypersport motorcycles, but not for any of the dualsports?
  13. JustBob

Oddometer:
    I don't know. What he does is get an Ohlins fork kit of "over 100 pieces" and assemble it to stuff into my OEM tubes. I never asked....should have I guess. He did essentially the same thing with the stock forks on my Multistrada and made it way better. (Although there wasn't an Ohlins kit for the Marzocchi fork so he used internals from another outfit.)
    Anyway, I hadn't heard of reliability issues for the R12GS. Maybe it'll be OK as the forks on the 12GS is a shock but standard forks on the F8GS.
    Were the reliability issues you heard for the 12GS, ESA or standard?
  14. kinimod

kinimod Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well actualy I do not have real info on that, I have just read posts on HUBB from some people who were claiming that they had friends who had problem with their Ohlins setup. But it could very well be exaggeration. That is way I have asked you if you have heard of anything similar and also to write your future experiences.

Sorry if I have worried you for nothing.
  15. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    What in particular are you speaking of? Ohlins has the integrated rear shock on the 1200GSA thats all computerized...
    I've had the Ohlins rear shock on my Tiger XC now for a little while with no issues.
  16. kinimod

kinimod Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Like I said heard of some issues like blowing shocks on peoples 12GS, on some bikes that were taken on RTW tours, and it was on HUBB that I heard of it.
    Did not get or read any specifics just that and that is a reason why I have asked. How many kms do you have on your Ohlins and on what type of roads/terrain?
  17. PauloHM

PauloHM Guest

BMW is facing hard competition, on and off tracks. After this new "water model" it's not the unstoppable motorcycle anymore. In fact it's not reliable at all.
    For know, I will go with the 800XC.
    When - and if - I have money enough I will go with the Tiger Explorer.

Sent using Tapatalk
  18. kinimod

kinimod Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Why do you say that it isnt reliable anymore, how does water cooling render its reliability?
    Also I think that this thread is about 800s and not 1200s.
  19. CheckerdD

CheckerdD Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have ridden both bikes. I prefer the F800 any day of the week. Not as top heavy. It has a better power band. I.E. it pulls strongly at all points on the tach whereas the Triumph's power does not kick in till a high RPM. To those people who state Triumph is better, bullshit, but have a nice day. It costs less but you get what you pay for. Dave
  20. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    I have been on both bikes...now own a '13 BMW F8....the Triumph is a great bike but add the abs, heated grips not much cheaper if at all now. Great on the road. More comfy by far than the F8. Having said that the BMW is much more fun off road, has better conveniences like the info toggle button, easy on/off ABS and lower centre of gravity for sure.

Both are good in their own way, but BMW wins on mpg, DS fun and 3 year warranty up here plus unlimited mileage.