What Annoys you about your Adventure 1190?

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by sjp3003, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Pumbaa

Pumbaa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So is the sidestand still mounted on the engine case, or have they come to their senses about that?

Sent from my HTC J Z321e using Tapatalk 2
  2. Tancakar

Tancakar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think my dealer not lying but I think they don't know the bike very well and they didn't experience anything like this with other customers bikes. I am a little disappointed about the technical knowledge of the ktm technicians about this new bike.
  3. Katoom72

Katoom72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You said it correctly, it's new. They have to learn about it trough trial and error.
  4. CanningOz

CanningOz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The power, whilst strong seems to taper off too soon leaving you wanting more as revs climb above 9k. The TC is painful when trying to ride fast on a mountain road, and should be less aggressive in sports mode giving you more wheelspin and/or letting you hold up the front for longer. Feels like a friendly policeman is inside the bike preventing you having the real fun.

Brakes could be more powerful, and side stand better. Luggage options are sub quality, especially when compared against BMW gear. Not sure about the bar bend either. Will probably get a slightly higher, drawn forward bend.

Apart from that, my Adv R is good and I'm really enjoying it. After 1,500kms, I think it's a very quick overgrown dirt bike, which is exactly the way I had hoped it would be.
  5. Katoom72

Katoom72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah the TC is a real partypooper. The brakes felt awesome to me, quite close the the stoppers on my superduke. The ABS was not to intrusive on the road either, kinda liked it.
    Stock bars always suck arse, it's like the first thing i useually change on bikes with handlebars.
  6. speed_racer

speed_racer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your certainly the first one ive heard that's complained about the power ;)

What your explaining is exactly what was built into this engine though, they took some power away from the top end (rc8r style) and increased the torque for it to be more dirt orientated.. After riding an F650 800 twin for as long sa I have I love the power increase ;)

You sound like you ride it hard, so a good person to ask this, if you give it to it in sports with Traction on, will it just hold there in the air during a wheelie or can it go past the balance point? Seems that the traction isnt as intrusive in the later part of 2nd to 3rd gear.. as thats when it always decides to surprise me n pop ;)
  7. CanningOz

CanningOz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, it doesn't hold the front up even in sports mode. It cuts the power and puts the front back on the ground. Same in second and third - is somewhat frustrating and I would like to work out how to get around it. Would be good to have TC when bike is leaning over hard, but still be able to lift the front any time you want when the bike has straightened up a bit.

I'm really not complaining about the power, only to say that it tapers off above 9k when you want it to keep going.

Keep in mind that I do really like this bike, but this thread specifically asks for what you don't like.
  8. Barekat

Barekat Looking to get dirty

Oddometer:
    The TC will be useful in Ontario where the cops will take your bike for spinning the rear wheel or doing wheelies or standing on the begs for any reason.:huh

If you stretch your legs (stand up) while on the tarmac the cops take your bike.

Nice police state we live in eh?:eek1
  9. barbadv

barbadv Been here awhile

Oddometer:

:eek1:eek1
    We are probably the only country where bikes must be in 100 HP (if you want to ride legally, not my case :wink:) but we can stretch our legs :D
  10. Barekat

Barekat Looking to get dirty

Oddometer:
  11. AdvIvan

AdvIvan Rock on!

Oddometer:
    I've ha issues with:

- EDS failure
    - Coolant leakage (loose hose to radiator!!)
    - Battery depletion
    - Muffler vibrates in its holder, can't be tightened
    - Engine start troubles

- Wind buffeting
    - Key in awkward spot
    - Original bags locks keep failing, too much plastics!
    - Some heat
    - Poor sound

I can easily live with all of the above, but the HORN!! Why oh why did they use that horn?!!
  12. PPiA

PPiA Pete

Oddometer:
    Now I have the bad fuel dongle fitted, I'm just leaving it in Sport mode with the traction control off.
    The TC caught me out recently. Had nailed it in 1st out of some lights using Sport mode. It did it's little wheelie. I kept it nailed and snicked 2nd as I split between a couple of cars.
    It wheelied again as I was lane changing and nearly put me into the median strip.
    I figured once it had dumbed down the power from the first wheelie it would keep it dumbed down, but a gear change seems to reset it.
  13. nikoktm

nikoktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stuck far, far away, who knows for how long.
    [​IMG]

Coming from Byron Bay this Sunday after a quick stop, the speedometer suddenly stop working!. the ODO, ABS and THC stops as well ! The screen was like a Christmas tree! On my way home, I just relied on my GPS speedometer but suffering all the way back, because I remembered a post from Umitc saying something about the speed difference between the bike and the GPS.. And I only have 3 points left on my licence! :becca
    So, first think Monday morning I left the bike at the dealer... Honestly, as some one else mentioned on a few posts before, I'm not quite sure about the competence of the mechanics with this bike.. I just feel like a "guinea pig"... An expensive one!
    Anyway, I will post the result of this issue. My plan is to ride as much as possible in order to reveal any issue the bike may have until the warranty expires!. I'm going to South America next year... I need to cover "all bases" :lol3
  14. Alan Idler

Alan Idler n00b

Oddometer:
    The horn is OK part. It is only tightened too hard. Yesterday I took it visible and changed it's original fixing nut for nylon locking one. I tightened it and tested and tightened more and tested..... Now there comes a proper sound.
  15. CanningOz

CanningOz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Pete.

I did exactly the same thing today, as well as tightening the suspension up significantly and it transformed the bike. The TC really does interfere too much, and with only 150hp and a very controllable power curve, you don't really need it.

Once unleashed, felt fantastic hammering through the mountain roads. Effortless wheel stands, easy to break traction out of corners - but still keeping control. KTM really have built a brilliant bike.

I understand why KTM have installed TC, but it feels too much like an unnecessary net nanny. I came home and washed a couple of the bikes, then went for a dry off ride on my S1000RR, and it's got a super strong power hit that is nowhere near as controlled as the KTM, and it really does need TC just to stay on it.

After the changes to the suspension and turning off the TC, I'm struggling to criticise it at all.

Well done KTM.
  16. umitc

umitc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am in Stelvio at the moment; really no heat rises from the engine. :-))))
  17. speed_racer

speed_racer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    whoopsie.. I find it even pops up in street mode with traction on.. When i took off giving it a little to play with a gsx-r and as it hit 3rd in this configuration it popped up about 3 feet.. i felt confused but kept the power on thinking its not supposed to do this.. but it did n dropped back down..
  18. AdvIvan

AdvIvan Rock on!

Oddometer:
    Mine doesn't pop in STREET. In SPORT it raises a couple of cm/inches and then drops again. Check your sensors maybe?
  19. Corsica101

Corsica101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LOL...nice one:rofl
  20. Nerb

Nerb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In any mode, if you give it a fist full from a standing start it will climb really high... high enough for me to close the throttle. At speed though mine will not lift in street mode (as expected) but in sport mode it will lift the front in the first three gears and hold it a few inches off the ground until i change gear. Its certainly entertaining having an adventure bike that smokes half of the sports bikes on the road.