950 Super Enduro "Quick Question(s)" Thread...

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by WARRIORPRINCEJJ, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Bearded Hooligan

Bearded Hooligan Moto Addict

Oddometer:
    Ive had a 690R & loved it but it had its issues. Also had a Honda Superhawk, which I loved. Sold the 690R for a 2004 GSA 1150. The GSA is great, but its not all that exciting & doesnt handle the offroad abuse that I give it. Question is would a SE be able to fit the bill for my needs? I dont have a car. I commute for work. Ride off road, slab, rip through the twisties, backroads & tour on my bikes. I also have an Alaska Trip in the works in the next couple of years, about 12k miles roundtrip. Would the SE fit this roll? I miss the excitement of the 690R & Superhawk but want the tourability of the GSA. Thinking of a 950SE with Safari tank & a raid designs fairing would fit the bill nicely.
  2. v8toilet

v8toilet Nothing to see here.

Oddometer:
    Yes it will do it all. Not quite as dirt worthy as the 690(had one) less of a boring slab eater than the 1150(had one). Its a compromise of each end of the spectrum but a great value with prices where they are. I rode mine to AK last year.
  3. wilso122

wilso122 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In a word Yes :1drink The only thing I find hard on the SE is commuting through london its just got too much power and overheats to quickly. Other than that I use mine for everything. To be fair its the best bike I've owned. It sits right between the 690 and gs for being off road ridable, nice and planted and with the right gearing and the raid designs fairing a great tourer. I had 2 bikes, a tourer and 450 exc sold both bought this and never a moment of regret :evil
  4. mountain eagle

mountain eagle terrorist

Oddometer:
    Is there a quick or easy way to tell what spring in on the rear shock on the SE? Looking to get the suspension set up a little better for me and it would be nice to know where I'm starting at.

AS for commuting, I spent a month this summer commuting 120miles RT for 4-5 weeks and the only change I made was to go back to a 17t up front. Made hanging with the 85-100 cruising speeds easier.
  5. Bearded Hooligan

Bearded Hooligan Moto Addict

Oddometer:
    What kind of time frame was your trip? Would love to hear more about it & how the SE did. Thanks for the feedback.
  6. v8toilet

v8toilet Nothing to see here.

Oddometer:
    4200 miles in 9 days.
    Temps were 30-60f
    Rained everyday
    Lots of slab
    Lots of gravel
    Nothing I would consider "off-road"

I used an advtank with stocker. H2w jetting, wolfman bags/racks. CJ rear plate. Renazco seat. Addressed the fuel pump, clutch slave and moved the voltage regulator.

Never missed a beat.
  7. duct tape

duct tape Lost

Oddometer:
    I"ve read much this thread, and others on this forum

including this one http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=668132

and the ktmhow link but am still not clear. I have a new to me '07 950 SE with 6000 miles on it. I'll be selling my 990 and making this my main DS/Adventure bike.

Right now I'm having no problems with my VRR - but should I change or at least keep on the bike a new stock or aftermarket one such as Ricks'? Just how common is this problem?

Also would appreciate some words of wisdom for what else to replace or have replacements before some week-long trips.

Thx much..
  8. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Relocate it and ride.
  9. whitehaven

whitehaven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Duct Tape,I too have just purchased a SE (18000 klms) and the previous owner reported no regulator problems only the fuel pump problem however as this bike is being set up for long outback trips here is what I am doing.
    I have ordered a Voltage regulator from Ricks Motorsports and will also be moving it to a cooler position,I dont see any sense in carrying a spare VR as by the time you notice a problem it may be too late (cooked battery).
    I have ordered a vacuum fuel pump from Alternate Cycles as this eliminates the OEM electrical pump problem.
    I have also ordered a clutch slave from Oberon to eliminate that potential problem as well.
    I also plan to order the CJ water pump kit.
    These items cure 4 main known issues with this bike and cost about 650 US in parts and are good insurance as far as I am concerned.
    I have had a KTM 690 enduro break down due to poor design and ruin a Cape York trip and dont want to be left in that situation again.
    PS this 950 is the biggest baddest dirt bike the world has ever known and I love it!
  10. Afry

Afry Why hike?

Oddometer:
    I just installed the Dr Beans fuel pump kit which seems like a nice deal but my point is the points in the stock pump. My bike has 4200 miles, the points were misaligned and wearing very badly. Lots of powder under the pump cover and no doubt about to fail - how long I don't know but now it doesn't matter.

The Dr Bean kit is about $45 total and simple to install if you have minimal skills.
  11. wilso122

Oddometer:
    Hello, has anyone got a picture of where you tapped into the fuel line for the ADV-tank? was just about to cut the line and had a moment...:huh :eek1

Instructions were for an adventure and couldnt quite get it to match. Was thinking about before the black quick release connector?? it would need to be pre pump right?
  12. mountain eagle

mountain eagle terrorist

Oddometer:
    Tee'd in anywhere in front of the pump should work fine. I've had the SE lines routed a couple of different way and it's always worked fine as long as it's before the fuel pump.
  13. wilso122

Oddometer:
    Thank! :freaky:clap
  14. whitehaven

whitehaven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking at the Great Basin saddle bag by Giant Loop,it appeals to me as it saves the weight of racks and tucks the sides and weight in closer to the bike but the photos I have seen look like it cramps the riding position as its on the rear of the seat.
    Is this the case or can it be mounted back more to avoid this.
    I want to be sure I can move my body weight back far enough at times when hitting sand or other soft terrain.
    My experience with saddlebags mounted on racks on my previous Adventure and 690 is that they can make the bike wobble at times in the soft stuff but of course you have the seat room as a bonus.
    Whats your experience with the Great Basin.
  15. bigborefan

bigborefan I know a lot, and what I don't know, I lie about.

Oddometer:
    What' you guys take on the UNI Pre Filter? Good investment? Do you need to rejett? Do you run it dry or oil it?
  16. pizzaboy

pizzaboy Been here a little too long

Oddometer:
  17. PBR Street Gang

PBR Street Gang Young Jedi

Oddometer:
    Re-Jet depends on what modifications you've done. Personally I replaced the stock exhaust, removed all the emissions crap, did the UNI Pre-Filter, and re-jetted the carb all at the same time. All the changes at once had a dramatic effect on how the bike ran. I run the Uni-Filter with a skin over it(both oiled).
  18. dogsslober

dogsslober No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer:
    I think the uni is a good set up. Work very well tell I switched to the Motoholligan airr box and A even more dramatic effect on how the bike runs (screams)!
  19. randel

randel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anybody relocated 950SE original fuelpump from fuel tank to frame? Where? Do you have any pics?
    I would like to avoid disconnecting electrical connectors and fuel hoses every time I have to remove fuel tank.
    I'm also installing CPR air filter, so I will have little more room under fuel tank.
  20. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    The Great Basin doesn't cramp at all. It actually shifts the bag back over the tail rack and away from the rider. It works fantastic and keeps all the gear snug into the frame. It handles a layover great and does not suck your feet under it. You'll need to mount their provided exhaust shield. Also I'd recommend picking up some clear bra adhesive paint protector tape from 3M or equivelent to wrap your rear side covers as dirt will get trapped under the bags and rub into your graphics on a long haul.

[​IMG]

The only knock on the Great Basin can easily be subverted... If you add a second top bag, it blocks access to the GB. Make sure your second bag has side zips where you can place items you need quick access to like your layers, so they are not buried in the GB below. A back pack works great as a second top bag to the GB where as you start removing the items out you throw it on your back to allow access to the GB when you are nearing camp.

For Adventure touring... I find the Great Basin one of the best product designs ever, seriously