GT380 vs. RD400 vs. RD/RZ350 for touring

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by LasseNC, Jul 11, 2012.

1. LasseNC

LasseNC XSessive!

Oddometer:
    Hello world!

I am looking for a touring two-stroke. The models I've listed are all available at the same price, but the RZ/RD350, might be the one in the best condition.

Which would you choose? I'd like to be able to hold 65mp/h without feeling like the bike is stressed.

What kind of servicelimits am I looking at with the 350?

Pros/Cons? Currently I'm using my MZ(19hp) stroker, which I am happy with besides the low power output.
  2. LasseNC

LasseNC XSessive!

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, a GT500 is also on the table now.
  3. Shocktower

Shocktower Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would go RZ if you can get one for the same price as a RD :evil
  4. PJay

PJay Any bike, anywhere

Oddometer:
    GT500. Gutless, rattly, understressed, go forever, long comfortable wheelbase for touring compared with the others.

I've owned all the models you mention, apart from the GT380 (I had a GT550). The triple's a lot smoother than the twins, but IMHO the GT500 handles better - and it certainly has better ground clearance for cornering.

I did >300,000 touring kilometres on T500s and a GT500, usually cruising at 110-120 km/hr. At 110, they're doing <4K rpm, as I recall. Moto Guzzi revs. I used to do 750km days regularly, occasionally 2000km weekends.

PS I still have an RD400 in the shed, but would rather (and do) tour on my MZ 250ETZ than on the RD.
  5. FloridaSteve

FloridaSteve Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you're reeeeealy sincere about using it for touring then the big Suzuki. Otherwise for almost anything else, the RZ.
  6. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    All those bikes can cruise at 65mph/104 kph no problem.....but, for any distance, can you? When I got my '72 Yamaha R5 350 (The RD I also had later was about the same) I thought now I can tour. 90 miles later I was noticing that I'd be beat at 120+ miles - and I was young. Vibes, harsh suspension, small ergonomics, it all adds up. Touring here in the US can mean 150 miles or more between gas stations, 40+mph winds and all sorts of stuff. I guess in Denmark/Europe there's a town or village every 20 kms so maybe that will be more workable.
  7. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I can remember covering 800 miles in two days very comfortably on a mate's RD400 back when it was the latest and greatest Yamaha stroker.

Oh, and the mate was on the trip too, same bike. We took turns steering and pillioning. No trouble at all cruising at up to 80mph, IIRC.

Today? Wouldn't consider it on one of those, even solo. But then, I don't ride an MZ.

For a proper tourer, I too like the sound of the T/GT500. Probably more reliable also.
  8. MitchB

MitchB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you want a two stroke tourer, may I suggest the GT750?

Bigger bike, but might actually be cheaper in today's market than those mentioned...
  9. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    My current RZ350 has over 40K miles. I rode the first one from Maryland to Texas. And back. Ate a good bit of oil and a plug backed out but no real problems. The RZ (when maintained) is a reliable mount.
  10. LasseNC

LasseNC XSessive!

Oddometer:
    I'm not in the US, so I don't have to worry about those huges distances :)

I'm 168cm. tall, so a GT750 is out of the question, its far too heavy for my liking. Unfortunately the GT500 vanished before my eyes, so it's no longer available.

Long days for me are 400km. which equates to about 8 hours in the saddle.
  11. mudgepondexpress

mudgepondexpress Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would go with the water cooled RZ. For longevity alone it should be better, combine this with a century of updates compared to the others and you can't go wrong!

Now...would you like to trade said RZ for a real long distance mount...FJ1100?

Kenny
  12. Lc8grrr

Lc8grrr Vtwin madness

Oddometer:
    Used to have an RD350 and would own another. No problem to travel on one I dont think, Or get speeding tickets..:wink:
  13. LasseNC

LasseNC XSessive!

Oddometer:
    I went ahead and got myself an RD350, the aircooled!

It was listed yesterday on "our" craigslist at 10000,- DKK, but I got it down to 6500,- DKK, as it didn't spark and therefore didn't run.

Its been quite idle, but engine "should" be overhauled, lets see about that :)

Wiring WILL deffo need sorting!
  14. JonnyCash

JonnyCash turd polisher

Oddometer:
    You're going to love it. Mine is all set up like a race bike, but is still surprisingly comfortable for me, and I'm 6' tall and 200 lbs. The most fatiguing thing about it is that it's loud as hell. Without earplugs, it's quite unpleasant. With stock pipes, stock seat and bars with even slight rise to them, I wouldn't hesitate to tour on it. Have fun. Check out 2strokeworld.com. Lots of great guys with a lot of experience with these bikes. It should be called aircooledRD.com, because that's 95% of the discussion on there.