Holan Nomada Pro panniers and other parts for the 2013+ R1200GS!

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by rotaryracer, Mar 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asphaltsurfer1

asphaltsurfer1 CatManDew

Oddometer:
    Hi Jason,

I have a new 1200GS Adventure Water cooled on the way- maybe here next week. After reviewing all bag options I like the Nolan Nomada 31L with Exhaust cutout the best for my needs. I was looking for something narrower than the stock alloy cases to be about the same size as my Varios on my 08 GS.

The standard oilhead GS varios are 33.5" across the bike, 18" long, 14" deep and 9-10" wide depending on where you measure. Both your 31L and 38L are within that range.

Do you have any idea if the 2013 GS system with fit the 2014 GSA? If not, I'd be happy to test mount one for you. The back of the bikes appear to be the same except the footpeg hangers don't appear to have the tab that is on the standard GS uses for mounting the Varios. All the back plates attachment points look identical. Where does the lower mount point attach on the bike? It looks like in pictures maybe to the end of the footpeg.

So with orders going in Februrary when could I expect in an order to get cases and mount?

I'm sort of split going black cases or plain alloy cases but will certainly go with the black mounting rack as that will look way better than the stock stainless when the bags aren't mounted as the GSAW has an all blacked out engine and frame.

Shipping shows 90 lbs! Wow is that really what the frame and bags weigh?

Thanks
    G
  2. rotaryracer

rotaryracer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi asphaltsurfer1 - congrats on the GSAW! Answers to your questions are below.

I don't have any details yet on the GSAW fitment, but would be pretty surprised if they didn't fit up. <strike>That said, BMW did change a few things on the standard GS from 2013 to 2014 so anything's possible</strike>. CONFIRMED - THE GSW PANNIER RACK BOLTS UP PERFECTLY ON THE GSW ADVENTURE! There's a pretty good picture of the footpeg mount setup included in the instructions, which can be seen here or on the "Instructions" tab on the product page here.

For the February order, I would expect delivery right around late April. I do have a set of powdercoated Pro racks in stock currently for the GSW but don't currently have any 31L panniers in stock.

That will look sharp! You're probably already aware, but the powdercoated panniers are coated inside and out. The natural aluminum panniers are made from a non-oxidizing alloy that does not leave black smudge marks on the contents of your panniers like other brands do. We do sell pannier inner bags, but they're more for convenience versus necessity.

What, after you bolt the bags on, you don't want to ride around pulling a wheelie all the time? :lol3 That 90 pounds listed in the shopping cart is actually the dimensional shipping weight. We pack the heck out of them to survive transit, and everything (panniers, racks, and any small accessories) ships together in one oversized box. A fully dressed pannier, ready to bolt on, is a little over 12 pounds and a full system is going to be right around 31-33 pounds.

Hope that helps - any other questions, please let me know.
  3. rotaryracer

rotaryracer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys - we just got another shipment in from Holan and have at least two (and possibly three) GS LC systems in stock and ready to ship. All have stainless racks and 38L panniers; two are in matte gray powdercoat and one is in natural aluminum. The 38L systems have been our most popular size for the GSW and seem to be a good balance of capacity and narrow overall system width.

We're filling customer pre-orders as quickly as we get stock from the factory, but we rarely have extra systems that aren't spoken for in inventory for very long. If you've been considering getting an adventure-grade pannier system for your GSW, now is a great time for instant gratification! :evil

Any questions, please let me know.

Thanks!
  4. IRideASlowBike

IRideASlowBike Banned

Oddometer:
    Do the panniers come with the mounting kit already installed? Or is the mounting kit sold separately?

Do any of the Holan topcases fit 2 full-face helmets?
  5. rotaryracer

rotaryracer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi IRide - they do! When you buy a full system, the panniers come with the mounting kit pre-installed. You just need to install the pannier racks on the bike, hang the panniers on the racks, install the (optional) locks, and you're ready to ride.

The only top case that Holan has that will fit two full-face helmets is the 62L Extra Large. This case is BIG, and does extend over the panniers, so you do lose the hinge-open functionality when it's installed. You can still undo both latches and lift the lid straight off, and you'd regain the hinge-open feature when not running the top case. Dimensions for this case are 21.7" L x 11.8" H x 15.4" D. In this case, "length" is the width across the bike when installed and "depth" is the front-to-rear measurement when mounted on the bike.

You can see the 62L case here, and you can also see how it mounts up on a GSW by clicking here. I've also attached some pictures below. Currently, I have one top case available in natural aluminum and one in matte black, but would need to order the corresponding top case mount from Holan.

Any other questions, please let me know.

Thanks!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. rotaryracer

rotaryracer Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you're taking delivery of your GSW Adventure and are wondering if this system will fit, we've confirmed that the current Holan racks will bolt right up - no changes, no swapping of footpeg brackets, no drama. Bolt on and go!

We do have limited stock of various sizes and finishes in stock for the GSW....please feel free to PM, email me at sales AT advmotorrad DOT com, or call the shop at (585) 310-ADVM for more info and availability.

Thanks!
  7. IRideASlowBike

IRideASlowBike Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the detailed reply. Do you have any photos of how the topcases mount? I need to get a rack custom made as Holan doesn't have anything for my bike (I ride a Triumph Scrambler with low exhaust, so same as a Bonneville luggage-wise).
  8. rotaryracer

rotaryracer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Allow me to congratulate you on your fine choice in motorcycles.....in addition to the GS, I've got a 2006 Thruxton and 2007 Scrambler myself. :D

The Holan top cases are universal and do not come pre-drilled, so they are very adaptable to a variety of mounting systems. They are usually installed in a bolt-through fashion to a luggage plate with rivnuts pressed into it, but we've also had customers mount the SW-MOTECH quick release mount for Pelican cases and add quick release functionality when using a SW-MOTECH Steel Rack. Do you have a rear rack yet, or one in mind for the Scrambler?

By the way, if you're going to build a custom pannier rack (or purchase an existing one for a Bonneville) and needed panniers, Holan sells them separately outside of systems without mounts pre-installed. We have the Holan mounting kit in stock, but depending on what rack you use, pretty much any of the popular mounts (Happy Trails, etc.) will work.

Thanks!
  9. IRideASlowBike

IRideASlowBike Banned

Oddometer:

I like the Metal Mule frame in theory. I would just get a complete Happy Trails setup, but they don't have a rear luggage rack like the Metal Mule does.

I know a local company here in PA (Freedom Sidecars) who also make custom racks and panniers. I think I'll get them to do something similar to the Metal Mule pannier frame. It'll be cheaper and my money won't be going to England for a product of unknown quality (I've heard of Metal Mule racks cracking).

So if I will have a Metal Mule-style rear luggage rack, I'm thinking U-bolts might be the best option for mounting the topcase. I'd have to check diameters and all that stuff though.
  10. JZDiaz

JZDiaz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    do you have in stock a Holan Nomada Pro 38L Large Top Case or the 25L Photo Top Case in gray color? I have the Holan Adventure Rack installed in my 2014 R1200GS

[​IMG]

Sorry for the phone picture
    GoGhostMoto likes this.
  11. rotaryracer

rotaryracer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi JZDiaz - the bike looks great! I'll validate stock and PM or email you today - pretty sure we're sold out of the 25L at the moment, but should have some 38L cases in stock in matte gray.

Thanks for the pic!
  12. IRideASlowBike

IRideASlowBike Banned

Oddometer:
    So if I purchase just panniers without a frame, I have to purchase the mounts separately, right?

Are the mounts adjustable in width to fit any size loop?
  13. rotaryracer

rotaryracer Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's correct. The panniers come undrilled and without mounts so that they can be used on just about any rack system. The Holan mounts are really nice - heavy duty reinforcement rib that runs across the back of the case, straightforward rotating arm system at the top, and competitively priced at $74.99 each side. That said, we've also had customers mount up Holan panniers on Happy Trail racks using their puck system. You might not get all the strength of the Holan mounts, but they cost quite a bit less and are sold for a variety of standard rack diameters (GIVI, Hepco-Becker, Holan/Touratech, etc.).

The Holan mounts can accept rack tubing diameter between 15-18mm, but the width and shape of the loops are fixed due to the reinforcement rib. There's really no way to adjust it unless you got rid of the rib, or cut/sectioned it to fit. You can see the Holan mount below, and can click any of the pictures to be taken to the product page.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. b-crow

b-crow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jason,

I currently have a 38L Traxx top case on my g650GS that primarily works as a backrest for my wife. I am moving up to the GS LS and I am curious if the HN 38L top case would work as well as what I have been using. Have you tried it or heard any feedback?

Also, I would like to know how the panniers attach to the frame. It looks like it sits on the base and the knobs inside are turned to lock the latches into place, but I haven't been able to find anything that shows it.

On that same topic, how does the top case attach? My Traxx case rattles alot, but it is quick to attach/detach.

Thanks!
  15. JZDiaz

JZDiaz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    some better pic´s of the Holan Nomadas in my bike

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    GoGhostMoto likes this.
  16. rotaryracer

rotaryracer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi b-crow - hopefully we got you all squared away via email. For reference here, the Holan top case mounts are a "bolt down" design to prevent rattling from quick release latches over time. The cases are universal and come undrilled; however, Holan includes a reinforcement plate that bolts to the bottom of the top case (further strengthening the 2mm case floor) that also doubles as a drilling template. The top case mounts include all the hardware to install a Holan top case to the mount. Once the reinforcement plate is installed on the bottom of the top case (four holes) and the four retention holes are drilled, it's just a matter of setting the assembly on the luggage plate and threading the allen head bolts into the pressed in rivnuts. The case is very stable and secured to the bike when the top case is locked.

Any questions, please let me know!
  17. rotaryracer

rotaryracer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks awesome, and thanks very much for the pics! :thumb

The more I stare at pictures of farkled-out GSWs with Nomada Pro systems on 'em, the more my poor Oilhead gets nervous she's going to be traded in. :lol3
  18. grace

grace Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    jason:

will a nomada top case mount on the new bmw lc r1200gs adventure tail rack? if yes, will it easily attach and detach?

btw, i unintentionally crash tested one of my nomada panniers and it held up quite well. sure spared the bike damage.

thank you.
  19. IRideASlowBike

IRideASlowBike Banned

Oddometer:
    Jason, what kind of wait time should I expect if I ordered 2 panniers and possibly a top box in gray powdercoat?
  20. rotaryracer

rotaryracer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey damytzeus - glad to hear that you and the bike are ok! We've had a few customers unfortunately crash test their pannier systems (including one that threw it down the highway at about 60 mph!) and except for some new "character marks", the panniers and racks shrug it off easily.

The current Nomada Pro top case mount is only compatible with the standard GSW LC rack at the moment. You can swap out the OEM GS rack for Holan's Adventure rack to get the same benefits of the new GSAW rack, and that includes a top case plate to mount your Holan case. I'll ask the factory how they're coming along on a top case fitment for the new GSAW and will post back up here.

Thanks!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.