Double Take Mirror- a new (and better) Dual Sport Mirror

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by neduro, Apr 20, 2010.

1. John Dirt

John Dirt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Shipping time was FAST, thank you, I was worried they would not arrive in time for my trip. I will finally be able to see around my shoulders! They also work great for stirring noodles!
  2. isgila

isgila Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there any coupon code or discount for advriders inmate before I make my order.
  3. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just found out about these very interesting mirrors!..I have a Yamaha TW200 (09 if that makes a difference?)I believe this bike has "reverse" threads on one side of the mirror stalk(s)?.I presume I can get an adaptor somewhere?.
  4. Scotian

Scotian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally got the mirrors on, and have been commuting with them for a week and a half (120km/day). Replaced the stockers with these. 09 DR 650, stock trailwings, no balance issues.

The Good - Visibility is way better than stock. I am able to see what's behind me without pulling my arms in and tilting my head (for reference, I am 6'3", 270lbs). Build quality of the mirror is outstanding. Ease of installation. Fast shipping.

The Bad - Vibration! I am able to tell something is behind me, but that is about it. Prior to installing these mirrors, I had the stock mirrors. Once I positioned myself to see out of them, they were crystal clear at any speed. Maybe the double take vibrate less than cheap chinese garbage from Ebay, but they are way more vibration prone than the stock mirrors. I read through this thread to see if anyone else has encountered this situation, and tried every position I could with these, to no avail. At all revs, everything is a complete blur.

It's a trade off I guess, one I'll have to live with. 60km/day of my commute is Highway (Interstate for our American friends) , and I'd rather be able to see something out of my mirrors than my shoulders.

Something to think about if you're considering these.
  5. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Sounds to me like you have them too tight. Mine don't vibrate much on my DR. No more than stock, anyway.
  6. Scotian

Scotian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's what I thought. When I read the thread, that's one thing someone said to try. So I went out, loosened them up, and tried it. No change. So I progressively loosened and tested to the point that there wasn't enough tension to hold themselves up.

I wish I had a GoPro or similar to video the vibration.
  7. Taranis

Taranis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Search Yamaha mirror adapter on fleabay.
  8. Wadester

Wadester Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer:
    If you go to the DoubleTake "components" page, you'll find them selling the adapter:

http://www.doubletakemirror.com/build/components

Or, if your stock mirror mounts are on the cap side of the clamp - you can buy one of the "split clamp assembly" and just replace your clamp cap with theirs - and get both sides "right". Looks neater, and it's cheaper.
  9. Wadester

Wadester Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer:
    Hmm. Just found this pic:
    [​IMG]

Looks like the mirror threads are on the "component" side of the clamps - so adapter, or get split clamps and use directly, or convert your clamp caps to mirror mounts.
  10. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    For some reason all I can see is white in my DoubleTake mirrors :augie

[​IMG]

These mirrors always impress me for how much of a beating they will take. Smack tree branches, scrape across tree trunks, rocks, dirt when I toss the bike, and I just move them back into place and ride on! Stable when I ride fast too.
  11. Sean-0

Sean-0 straya carnt

Oddometer:
  12. OaklandStrom

OaklandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ordered and installed them just before I went on a 2 week, 3,800 mile trip a few weeks ago. Super fast shipping. I mean "in the mail the same day" fast.

Part of my trip involved my lack of dirt riding skills, a 650 V-Strom and Point Sublime at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. There were a few other dirt "roads" a V-Strom should probably stay away from. I figured I'd be introducing my bike to the ground, at least once. I hated the stock mirrors too.

Somehow, I avoided testing the "swing away" feature of the mirrors. However, as street bike mirrors, they are fine. There's a bit of vibration, but not much worse than stock.

More importantly, for V-Stroms, it seems to have reduced the wind buffeting and noise, compared to stock mirrors.

Good product. Good service. Fair price. Made in the US. Go Ned!
  13. muskieken

muskieken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    well i just bought a second set of them , they get hit all / moved all the time
    love them
    funny how you forget the price when they just work.
    I know I'd of went threw 5 or 6 regular mirrors if i did not have these all ready
    this set is for a xr350
  14. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    What's the best arm length to purchase for a 640 KTM?

Thanks
  15. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the longer arm on all my bikes. It's a better view when in use, and the additional inch gets the mirror head to clear the handguards a little easier when folded.
  16. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you!
  17. BSamms

BSamms Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ordered a pair for my DR650 yesterday. Very stoked to slap them on, hate the stockers. What region do you ship from? I'm already getting fidgety.
  18. dirtyoffroad

dirtyoffroad Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've ordered these a few times and always pleased at how quickly they show up.
  19. Go Irish75

Go Irish75 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been enjoying them on my DR650 for months now. I do concur that vibration gets pretty bad above 55mph, but other than that, I have no complaints at all. Thats also the fault of a single thumper too, i dont blame the mirrors. The infinite and quick adjustability makes these well worth the upgrade and investment.
  20. DeepSea

DeepSea electronically challenged

Oddometer:
    +1 on that. I ordered parts from several different outfits on the same day. The mirrors showed up first and they were farther away than half of my orders.

Btw, love the mirrors Ned. Ordering another set for the KLR.