Rally bike rehab

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neduro, Aug 16, 2008.

1. JDRadman

JDRadman Moto Head

Oddometer:
    Your can find more here

http://www.joeracerproducts.com/

We used that same cooler on the Heartland-Dakar bike (#149) in 07.

It was recommended by Charlie R, it’s affordable and just about bulletproof. One of many good recomendations from Charlie...

Watch your mounting points because its heavey when its full and it will vibrate so mount it with that in mind.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    Rad<o:p></o:p>
  2. Milhaus

Milhaus Made in Denmark

Oddometer:
    A cooler AND extra 800cc capacity! All for $399 from JoeRacer! I like it alot! :thumb
  3. Tuff Tunica

Tuff Tunica Moto-Skiveez creator

Oddometer:
    Careful with that capacity claim....I bought one and filled it with fluid just to measure. Including lines I only got 300cc in it. I'm thinking that if it were installed and 800cc over recommended fill were added you might experience some issues.
  4. gaspipe

gaspipe 50 years in the saddle! Old School ADV

Oddometer:
    I've tried to buy one a few times, and have been told they'd "...call me back..." when they were available. No calls.

Anyone else gotten one in recent times? :ear
  5. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine holds almost a quart, but I think the lines on the rallybike are longer than what Joe Racer offers.
  6. JDRadman

JDRadman Moto Head

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

A quick heads up on #149 from the 07 Dakar Rallye. :eek1 :eek1

The bike was stollen from a the Motorsports Ranch (DFW area) in TX last night. This is the bike that I built and Tim Hall, aka BUG raced in 2007. And the source of all those great posts that Tim put up over the last few years.

It was a 07 KTM525 with the Meca Systems kit and lots of cool bits on it. If you see someone selling the bike or fencing rally bike parts for the meca systems kit, please send me a PM.

A rather large group of hispanic youth in a beat up van got a way as Jack was coming home. He didnt realize what was going on untll a few moments later when he saw the bike and an ATV were both missing.

They have no idea what they have so I wouldnt be suprised to see the bike or the parts show up somewhere for sale.

PM me if you see someting that fits the description.

Thanks,

Rad
  7. header

header Chris

Oddometer:

DAMN!! Those guys dont know what there getting into. Post up some pictures so we know exactally what were looking for. Parts too if you can.

Good luck man, I dont get too bent up about things often but I HATE thiefs. Its like a cheap shot.
  8. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:
    Rad, got any current pics of the bike? I'll cross-post this to the racing forum.
  9. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state Supporter

Oddometer:
    and TT, ktmtalk.
    pics please, sorry to hear of your loss.
  10. JDRadman

JDRadman Moto Head

Oddometer:
    I dont have a smug or other photo account to post to. I have pics of the bike and would be happy to send them and gratefull for the assistance in posting them eanywhere we can think of to try and catch the dirty thieving little bastages...

Send me an email at jdradman@earthlink.net and I will promptly reply with several photos of the bike. It looks exactly as it did when we got it off the boat upon return. We cleaned it up and ride it a few times then put it away, awaiting a good rehab program (for the bike I mean).

It was to get a complete going-over this winter and return to life as a civialian bike for Mongo DP Duty this spring. Needless to say I am seriously bummed about the whole deal.

Thanks for your support and assistance.

Rad
  11. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:
    Rad, tried sending you an email but it bounced. :dunno

You can hit me at rally RAIDio at g mail (no spaces).
  12. JDRadman

JDRadman Moto Head

Oddometer:

My bad....typo on the email ...lert out the R in Radman. Fixed with edit above and reposted here:

jdradman@earthlink.net

I will send you some photos now...

Thanks

Rad
  13. mattomoto

mattomoto 2 wheels rule

Oddometer:
    Man, that sucks Jim. I hope they find it.

Matto
  14. drivenbydiscovery

drivenbydiscovery ´¯`•...¸>`•.¸¸.•

Oddometer:
    pictures of missing bike:

15. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Super sorry to hear of the lost bike, Jim. I hold out hope they won't be able to figure out what to do with it and it'll turn up. I wish the mouthbreathing dickheads the worst of luck in any event.

<<<< switching to happy news >>>>

I've done three good trips on the Rallybike this summer, one with Gaspipe and Chollo where we did a bunch of passes and so on, really just using it as an adventure bike, then I took it to Idaho for the KTM rally, and I just got back from its first proper use as a Rallybike, at the DVR.

In order, I guess...

Gaspipe giving it a try:

[​IMG]

We rode some rocks:

[​IMG]

Looking into the never:

[​IMG]

A really fun time.

The major learning on that trip was that the bike was too soft, I was bottoming it everywhere. Gaspipe sent me a spare 10.2 spring he had, and I bought a set of .52kg/mm springs from KTM Aspen, and overall I hoped the additional spring force would keep it up in the stroke without making it harsh or skittish. It did, as it turns out. :thumb

Next was Idaho, where it got flogged on a bunch- some pics from that:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A good time was had.

Now, for the DVR. I cobbed on a roadbook and GPS for this trip, using parts from my old 950 Adventure setup:

[​IMG]

which worked great, as it happens.

I took practically no pictures during 450 miles of riding in 2 days, because I didn't have any time to spare. Here's me before the start from GSNorCal:

[​IMG]

Here's one at a gas stop loading the next section of roadbook from PFB:

[​IMG]

The bike was phenomenal. It's comfy, takes very little energy and attention to ride reasonably quickly, was perfectly reliable (save one glitch with a short when the bars went to lock hard, since fixed), and really enjoyable on a variety of terrain from technical singletrack to WFO sand road.

I can barely wrap my head around the motor, which pulls hard and linear everywhere at sea level- heading out of Primm up a soft, deep canyon, I ran out of balls at 70mph before the motor ran out of steam. That's speed on the GPS in bottomless sand/ silt/ pebbles over long frequency whoops going uphill, mind you, it's definitely a horsepower test and this thing has it.

Next steps:

I'm not impressed with the Michelin desert front- I had 3 flats in DVR none of which seemed deserved (ie, I didn't hit that hard). I'm switching to a 908RR front and a Mousse, I'm tired of the flat program. Performance was OK, but life was poor- at about 1k miles, it looks totally shagged and rounded off.

The fairing that's on it is rough and heavy, a mexican knock off of the original part. Joe from Illinois sent me a correct front fairing, I need to get that mounted up as it's much much much lighter than what's on there now, and looks nicer too. That'll come in time.

The biggest shortcoming is one that I can't address- a lack of steering lock. Hilslammer (in some of the pics from Idaho above) got scared when he'd whack opposite lock initiating a drift and I've done the same. Further, I have fallen over a few times from the combination of inability to touch the floor and no ability to steer sharper- including once in front of PFB who kindly did not take a picture... :lol3

So, overall, it's now part of the active duty fleet, and it's fantastic as either a rallybike or an adventure bike for exploring places. Need to check the valves, change the oil, and spoon on fresh tires, but aside from that it's ready for the next adventure.

Gaspipe, it's your turn to get busy now!
  16. hilslamer

hilslamer 2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer:
    Some comments on that bike:

The 560 motor is supernaturally smooth - deceptively so, almost. It just keeps pulling, never makes any real noises that seem like it's working hard, and before you know it you're going really fast. ANd when you need to sned the rear wheel sideways, there it is, ready to spin the tire whole-heartedly. But at the same time, it's so forgiving that if you need to cut and pitch for a turn in the roadbook, you can just leave it in A gear, any gear, and low an behold, it pulls clenaly back up to cruising speed. It's soooo cool.

The bike has character. It's not perfect - it has ratttles and squeaks - but it's still has that special-bike tightness that you feel on something that has had attention to every nut and bolt on it. And to know that Jonah rode it through all sorts of scenarios that gave even him a little grief, well - you just have to smile to be aboard the master's machine.

Thanks for the experience, neduro!
  17. viola-tor

viola-tor Needs to ride!

Oddometer:
    Wow. Just got sucked in after seeing Ned's link. What time is it? :eek1

Congrats on "completing" this project (is it ever really over?), an awesome bike with an amazing history.

Bump for a fascinating thread with input from knowledgeable folks all over!

:super
  18. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    I don't think these guys could ever be accused of "completing" a project :D
  19. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Sounds familiar.... I have probably the worst case of project ADD you will find. :D

Just hope that Gaspipe got some major motivitation to get working again after riding Ned's bike. It's mostly this thread to blame that I just go a 525 as well. Now what do I do with these 660 tanks here.... :wink:

[​IMG]
    *kartman* likes this.
  20. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    You could give them to me to adapt them on to my WR450F :evil