PDX Off Pavement Ride

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by matloik, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Jon_PDX

Jon_PDX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never been up to the top but last time I tried to get to the top of Goat Mtn was with Dave S. and we hit snow. That was July 11, 2011 according to the picture I took of Dave turning around.

I have it all mapped out on the GPS and plan to finally get up there this year now that I have another DS bike.

As far as riding from there to Detroit, I agree it might not be easy to find a route but would be interesting to try.

Jon...
  2. Jon_PDX

Jon_PDX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent.....you have just given me places to explore.

The two outside of Estacada (Faraday, and Cazadero) I ride past all the time and did not even know they were supposed to be ghost towns.

Edit:
    After doing a little research I know why I did not think of them as ghost towns. All thats there are a couple Dams. I'll have to take a closer look for train tracks and such.

Jon...
  3. SuperD!

SuperD! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where Portlandia is more than just a TV show.
  4. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First

Oddometer:
    I just can't read this thread anymore.
    You guys are killing me with the "I wanna see that" rail line stuff.
    S1 and asrvivor started it about 2 years ago with pics of that twisted rail line.
  5. Almost There

Almost There Up, up, and away

Oddometer:
    I keep reading this thread but never get up to where you guys are riding. Did a little loop today that maybe some of the SW guys might like. Left Newberg and headed through Carlton up Meadowlake into the Trask area. Wandered around and stopped at Tahoe lake for some fish. South from there to Willamina then back to Newberg. Fun day with only a few showers. Didn't get the camera out much since I ride the area all the time. I only did about 30 miles of gravel but you could spend all day up there without hitting pavement if you wanted to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. SuperD!

SuperD! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice ride & pics! :clap
  7. Jon_PDX

Jon_PDX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Replying to my own post....

Faraday and Cazadero have been taken over by PGE. Faraday has a lake that allows fishing from the bank and the road to get to Cazadero is closed off (unless you have a PGE vehicle) and there are surveillance cameras in the area. I talked to a local and was informed that sections of the rail line were sink into the river a long time ago.

I was unable to locate any signs of old towns....bummer.

Cool, thanks for the link :thumb

Jon...
  8. SuperD!

SuperD! Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Fun to try though...
  9. jjdun7

jjdun7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Remember, it's not the destination that makes it an adventure. :evil :rofl :lol3
  10. Jon_PDX

Jon_PDX Long timer

Oddometer:

Exactly.....if not for the ghost town map I may have just sat around the house.

Getting out and exploring was a much better choice :D

So I headed up river from Estacada to look for the ghost towns. Funny thing is I've ridden past the Faraday parking lot many times and never bothered to stop because I figured it was all private PGE property.

This time I stopped and realized it was open to the public.

[​IMG]

I don't know what type of fish are in the lake but if you like to fish it might be worth checking out

From the parking lot you take this bridge to the lake.
    [​IMG]

A few shots from the bridge
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking back at the parking lot
    [​IMG]

The lake
    [​IMG]

This looked like a good place to sit down
    [​IMG]

Taking in the view
    [​IMG]

The view
    [​IMG]

I spent about 30 min's just hanging out and enjoying the view before heading out. I thought about walking down the road to see if I could find any signs of the old town but decided I would leave that for another day.

I then rode up river a few miles and found this location to relax before heading back home.

[​IMG]

So no ghost town this time but it turned out to be a pretty good day.

Much better than doing yard work :thumb

Jon...
  11. s1marks

s1marks Mercedes

Oddometer:
    Well I headed back over to Pisgah home Rd on Sunday to see if I could find the old homestead or graveyeard. Couldn't see any signs of either, I'm guessing we'd need some insider knowledge as to exact location or they are going to be tough to find.

Got the Husky back on the road. Had been in pieces whilst I fritzed with it. :rayof

S1
  12. Squishy

Squishy Elastically-kinematic.

Oddometer:
    Good photos Jon-PDX, nice little outing.

Good to hear that you are out & about on the trails Mark.
  13. clapped_r6

clapped_r6 The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer:
    anybody planning on doing the mt scott d/s may 19th?
  14. Biped

Biped In the middle

Oddometer:
    Yes, I plan on going.
  15. boardforever

boardforever Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I'm thinking about riding the section of the WABDR from Carson to Trout Lake tomorrow afternoon, new to me, have not been there before. Does anyone know if I'm likely to run into snow still? Thought, comments, concerns? I will probably be headed out on my own, but am open to company. (also posted to Riding Around the Hood Thread)
  16. SuperD!

SuperD! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a fun stretch of road...I wish I could join you! I'm planning on going that way to a family event in a couple weeks, so I'll be looking for the full snow report when you get back. :D
  17. BackCountryCruizer

BackCountryCruizer Gnarled Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We had to reroute through that entire section due to snow 2 years ago, on the 4th of July. The snow was drifted up to 10' in some sections. We had a lot of late snow this year so it's hard to say if you can get through or not.
    <iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/onuHzQ0pZ5E" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TLSCb9qItIM" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
  18. boardforever

Oddometer:
    Maybe I won't make it through, but it is too nice out not to try, I will report back tonight or tomorrow.
  19. boardforever

Oddometer:
    I was told I would run into snow somewhere around 3500 ft if I tried to do the WABDR route I wanted to. So I rode up the Klickitat, it was amazing today. If anyone would have been behind me on the dirt section today they would not have had so much fun, pretty dusty.

Right on the Klickitat off of Hwy 142
    [​IMG]

Viewpoint off the Glenwood Hwy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rode through this little stream.
    [​IMG]

I followed a route AJ rode most of the way, but left plenty to discover another day as time constraints brought me home. Couldn't beat riding this weekend though.
  20. Biped

Biped In the middle

Oddometer:
    Was a great weekend to be riding TSF, traction was perfect and not too dusty. The new scoot is a blast to ride.

[​IMG]