Who has the most tricked-out DR ?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Zapp22, Feb 3, 2006.

1. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice one Bing
    [​IMG]
  2. bing

bing 2017 CRF250 RALLY

Oddometer:
    To be honest the tank stickers have only been on there for one day so I've yet to see how they'll hold up. I got them from ebay and they are thick vinyl stickers meant for your front fender.
  3. compman21234

compman21234 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know approx. how loud that Staintune full system is, compared to my FMF Q slip-on, and where to get one in the US?
  4. Zapp22

Zapp22 ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer:
    i am combing all my sources now.
    kicking myself that I passed on one i spotted in Boerne about 6 months ago.... it was well-configured. at the time I was hunting the DRZ.... which you see noted now in the sig!
  5. darmahman

darmahman "Illogically Deluded" Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have had first the FMQ which was too loud for me. Now I have the full system Staintune which is much quieter and lighter.
  6. scootertrash

scootertrash Mobile Homie

Oddometer:
    Yes, I was asking about the handle bar side of the mount. I just put my S06 w/s back on last night so I'm going to have to re-think which mount is going to work. I have a radar detector and am looking at a portable gps, along with an Ipod...
  7. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:

Hey Bill, I was wondering if you put the windshield back on yet. Have you tried it out yet with it raked back?
  8. scootertrash

Oddometer:
    I got the w/s on last night and went around the block, not enough to really try it out. I caged it today, but tomorrow I'll be riding. If nothing else, it looks cool..:wink:
  9. IronDawg

IronDawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got a 99' DR350SE...to date I've done the following.

Items Removed:

passenger pegs
    subframe fender brace
    tool box
    kickstand switch
    tail light
    blinkers
    assorted wiring

Mods:

Open up air box
    Kouba Links
    Rebuilt forks w/ heavier springs/oil
    Mikuni TM33 pumper carb with Kientz ext. fuel screw
    Intake spacer
    Acerbis Dual Sport tail light/license plate holder
    IMS footpegs
    Clark tank
    Supertrapp IDS 2 Quite
    Pro-Taper CR High Bend Bars
    Factory 909 Grips
    Acerbis Hand Guards
    Apex tank graphic
    Russell SS Brake line Kit
    Motion Pro Throttle tube
    UNI Air Filter
    Eiback rear spring and shock rebuild
    Acerbis frame guards
    Jesse Kientz 441 kit :evil
    Head mods - open passage to increase oil to cam
    OEM aftermarket oil cooler
    Clearanced clutch basket - always find neutral
    Barnet clutch/spring kit
    Black Fork Boots -not in pic
    Moose front and rear fender packs
    Ken Sean folding mirrors -not in pic
    Moose chain guard
    Moose rollchart
    RAM Mount/Touratech mount for Garmin GPS
    Travelcade gel seat and cover

[​IMG]
  10. PeteC

PeteC Old Rider

Oddometer:

I have just purchased a new DR650. I am still in the break-in process, only have about 560 miles on it. I have a KLR650 I'm now selling that I purchased new in 7/2002. I really like how the DR650 handles & feels under me. Dry weight is only 13 lbs. less than the KLR650, but it feels a lot lighter I think because it carries its weight lower. The DR650 is designed & built a lot better. The KLR has a few issues that need to be taken care of. What I like about the DR650 is its reliability & simple design. The engine is air & oil cooled which eliminates all the problems & weight of water-cooling. The KLR650 does come stock with a larger fuel tank, 6.1 gallons (only about 5.3 usable though) compared to the DR's 3.4 gallon tank. There are after market larger tanks available though. Both the DR & KLR have bad seats for long distance riding. The KLR is said by some to be a better at long distance touring. I don't agree with that though & feel the DR can be set up to do long distance touring with no problem. There are lots of people on this & other sites that have done serious long rides on the DR650. The DR is definitely an under rated bike that is very capable. Do your research before making a chose.
    Pete
  11. Team Dennis

Team Dennis Certified Troublemaker

Oddometer:
    Welcome aboard PeteC.
  12. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, thanks for gving us that comaprison, PeteC. This is what DR owners have suspected all along. :evil
  13. Burren Rider

Burren Rider Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My long standing association with Suzuki's started when I was a young cacker riding around in the rain on an old TF100 (Ag Bike). From there I graduated to a DR250 when I got my licence at 16 and spent 65,000km's making the most of my new found freedom before trading it on a bigger version.

[​IMG]

A 1994 model DR650 saw me through Uni. It was an incredibly comfortable and reliable bike that allowed me to venture further into the desert with the odd trip to the Victorian High country and North Queensland too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took a while to come around to the newer model 650's because my old one had served me so well. One ride on the new generation bikes with their improved suspension and lighter weight had me hooked though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still using the DR's as my sole form of transport, I went through two before being drawn to a DRZ400. By now I had a ute and a serious girlfirend and the lure of something light and fast to do middle distance dirt trips on was too powerful, I needed a DRZ.

[​IMG]

A busted tailbone later, I decided that the dirt tourers were more my style and I experimented with a KTM Adventure and a Honda XR650R before buying a 1000 V-Strom for something totally different. It wasn't to last though, I really liked the V-Strom and would buy a DL650 tomorrow if I had the time to ride two bikes, but the call of the dirt was too strong and I am back on a DRZ (with a vow to take it a bit easier this time :kurt).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What have I learnt from all of this?

1) The DR650 is a fantastic allrounder. When I bought the DRZ it was a toss up between the two but in the end I figured that I would only be doing shorter days in the dirt so the 400 won out. Now that I am back doing pretty solid days of 5-600km in the dirt I think the 650 would have been just as effective, maybe even moreso.

2) The 400 is an amazingly versatile bike too. Many write it off as a tourer but if your preference is for travelling light and exploring the more isolated pockets of the forest, then this bike is hard to beat. Even after owning all of the above, I am still stuck on my 400 and can't think of a reason to trade it (which is rare for an indecissive bugger like me).

3) The V-Strom would be a great compliment to either the DR or the DRZ if you also wanted to tour the far reaches of the country or just go fast on the bitumen. It is capable in the dirt but requires more thought.

So in the end, my pefect shed would probably consist of a DR650 set up for dirt touring, a stripped down 400 and a DL650 with knobbies. My only problem then would be deciding which one to ride (probably the one with the best headlights because it would be dark by the time I made up my mind :D).
  14. scootertrash

Oddometer:
    Here are the fruits of my labour in the garage last night. I installed a voltage monitor, load equalizer for the signals and my S06 w/s. I angled it back a lot more, so I'm hoping for better results this time at speed...I'll pass on my results..

EDIT: Burrenrider's DR input was the final straw that pushed over the edge to get the DR. You will notice that I signed up here in Aug '03 and I got my DR in Sept...I cracked pretty quick...:D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  15. MotorPsycho Miko

MotorPsycho Miko Ride, ride, ride.

Oddometer:
    I know, I know-I need to get some new pictures. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy................
    Custom bash plate(stainless)
    custom luggage rack
    resprung front and rear
    corbin
    IMC tank
  16. Burren Rider

Burren Rider Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    G'Day Bill,

The DR is looking really good :thumb. What do you think if the Corbin seat?

Cheers,

Danny
  17. snowrider

snowrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I had to pick a winner now, this would be it. I have no idea how it works, but I really like the way the lights look... so I'll just assume they work great? If it's not the trickest, it's at least the coolest looking in my opinion.

18. yater

yater Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep...burrenrider's posts and pics pushed me over the edge when I was deciding on a bike
  19. Miguel

Miguel off road junkie

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I'm a 9-fiddy guy at heart, but this has to be the frickin coolest thumper I've seen outside of rally racing.
  20. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    A beautiful post, as usual.

I appreciate the way you clearly see the project and plan.

Mission oriented....