XR650R Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by JustinT, Nov 24, 2008.

1. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    So Chris, how'd that 525 look? Are you drinking the orange coolade yet? :ddog :D
  2. header

header Chris

Oddometer:
    I was wondering if word would get around to this thread that I was looking for one. I had money in hand while I waited for the guy to call and say he was free to have me come down and look at it...except he never called. I called him four times and left a text message (because he didn't have voicemail set up :bluduh) but he never called back. Factor that in with him getting the bike in a trade and knowing absolutely nothing about it kind of put me off of the whole thing.

I looked around to see if there were any others close by and im SOL unless I want to go to Kansas. My thought process as of right now is keep the XRR, put the money into suspension, then maybe get a 125 to practice on and to keep for a toy that way when I break the pig I still have something to keep me in "race mode".

As for a comparison between the XRR and the KTM: To me the KTM would be a better bike because of its lighter weight, electric start, and general setup for enduros and woods which besides a long dualsport day (which is just gravel roads until the enduro type riding) thats what I use the XRR for anyway. But the XRR doesn't do all that bad when a skilled rider is on top and being a poor college student the low amount of maintenace even when ridden in races is very nice compared to the KTM. My last race (out of 6 so far) was my best, I was able to hold a mid B pace, I wasn't tired at the end of the day, and I know I can improve that speed.

After riding with some new friends this past season, I decided to make new plans for this comming season. I am going to try to compete in all of the district 15 harescrambles with the goal of advancing to the A class. Will I make it? Doubtfully so, but I am going to give it my very best. To advance to the A list I must place in the top three in atleast three races with 5 or more competitors in the class, and have an overall average of 21mph. That last race was a team race and we managed 20.03mph and I was 15-45seconds faster than my partner on most of the laps so I know the XRR can do it. After upgrading the suspension, practicing where im weak at, and actually preparing to try for a win during every race, I think I can make it. Do I need the KTM to do it though? I doubt it, would it help me get there faster sure it would but 250 or 300 would get me there even faster.

EDIT: Think I should start a thread about it in racing to document my efforts? I already started practicing for the spring races, im bad in the deep mud so practicing on snow and ice is good practice but its also just barely cold enough to freeze stuff here so when everything thaws I go out and ride :D perfect conditions for racing. Ive made some big improvements even with completely wornout streetlegal knobbies on. Can you say hydroplaining! :p3rry :lol3
  3. AlpinaE24

AlpinaE24 Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. Garthe

Garthe ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer:
    That's what you use a side stand for...your front break line is run the wrong way...
  5. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    The previous owner of mine had the brake line running that way too, yesterday I moved it back to the inside of the fork leg after getting it inspected & plated.
  6. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Chris,
    The suspension was the best bucks I spent on the XR, If you can swing it, get the valving redone, the honda forks are pretty harsh the further they compress, that alone made a big difference, I can ride longer and faster w/o getting as tired and it will make you a smoother rider on the bike. :D
  7. AlpinaE24

AlpinaE24 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn't feel like finding a small rock, what's a break line?
  8. Dances_With_Trees

Dances_With_Trees Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Treading lightly...you're not.

9. AlpinaE24

AlpinaE24 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its a sand wash, all will be erased next time it rains.:evil
  10. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool, man. :thumb Lighter bikes are easier to ride but where's the challenge in that, right? :lol3
    I've thought about selling mine several times, as it spends all of it's time on pavement. But, ya know, it's such a cool bike I know I'd miss it if I sold it.
    Speaking of, here's a couple pics of her.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Good luck with your racing! :thumb
  11. header

header Chris

Oddometer:
    Im hoping upgrading the suspension will be enough to help me to the next level. Right now im starting with the springs and ive looked at some prices for revalving and there was one place that had a damn low price. Though I would like to have Precision Concepts do it but there a bit pricey.

I guess I started riding dirtbikes a little backwards compared to most people. I started riding when I was 10 on an XR100. And that was my last "dirt bike" until I got the R. I always had a heavy dualsport with pretty road oriented tires on it and I never really had anyone to teach me to ride. Because of that I rode at the same skill level for about seven years. Then I taught myself how to ride again on an XRL, how I don't know but I was fairly fast on that thing. Then I got the R and improved a little but when I did my first race I learned how high the bar was set. Then I got close enough to the bar to really enjoy going fast and ever since ive been trying to get better. But whenever I get on a "normal" 250 two stroke everything just feels odd. Im so used to heavy torquie bikes that going to a feather weight snappy thing cuts my speed in half. All I know is riding big heavy bikes, it just seems normal to me and no they may not be as forgiving as the lighter bikes but the way I see it its just a different learning curve or technique. Im sure if I took the time to ride a lighter bike for a season I would be as fast if not faster than I am on the XRR but I really enjoy the big pig and the more people tell me I can't do it on this bike the more I want to prove them wrong.

Besides if I can race a 300+ pound bike with all the street legal bits, stock suspension (that I had setup ALL wrong), and dualsport tires that were very worn and still hold my own in the B class why not get the setup and shoot for the top! :ricky
  12. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    You got that right, next rain the place will look completly different.
  13. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm used to heavy bikes too. I've been riding XR500s and 600s (and Yamaha TT600s) since the early '80s. It's made me a flowing and momentum type rider, not a cut and thruster.
    I used to get a kick out of riding with a bunch of guys back 10 or 12 years ago and be on the heaviest bike (pumped '96 XR600) and always near, if not in, the lead. Of course, it helps to know the terrain really well. :lol3
  14. header

header Chris

Oddometer:
    :lol2 I know that feeling. My riding partners all ride 250 two strokes and if its a good day im faster than them (except one, but he has been a fast B/slow A rider half his life..).

I am slowly starting to hold my momentum better. My biggest area of improvement will be in turns. I thought about it a lot after timing myself on some loops and its painfully obvious im slower in the turns than anywhere else. It feels faster when I come into a corner and slow down then spin the rear end around and shoot out. The engine revs, dirt flys all over and I get to feel the pull of the engine (because when you spin the rear end you lose drive and actually stop forward movement). But if I upshift a gear and go outside, inside, outside as far as I can I don't have to lose any speed and I don't have to waste energy or time upshifting again. Plus with the torque of the XRR im always in power so no clutch work even if im bogging it out of the turn.
  15. alfaris

alfaris MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer:
    My 2007 XRR recently buyed and updated with all the stuff i took from my 2000 xRR that now is for sale.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

look the differences within a week since i bought this 2007,

last week
    [​IMG]

today
    [​IMG]
  16. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:

Probably a bit of sarcasm here, but he meant brake line. It's supposed to be inside your fork tube.

For those going to Baja mid to later Feb, I'll seeya down there!

I'll post pics once my bike is complete. Just have to some electrical work to do.

I've already done the following:

- Valves,
    - Oil change,
    - Fork and shock valving and oil,
    - Springs front and rear,
    - Wide Pegs,
    - HID in my already existing 8" race light (35w),
    - Extra clutch cable. Already has extra throttle cable if needed =)
    - Gas filter. Has to be re-done. Line gets hot and pinches.

Just have to add:
    - 12v plug,
    - LED rear light,
    - Rear signals. Broke them off 1st ride after installing new ones.. *sigh*.
  17. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    The flush mount rear signals work pretty good and are out of the way. They've def been crash tested :lol3

[​IMG]
  18. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sadly I know that, but I have a history with those exact signals and can't use them. I know there are others, and smaller designs which I might test next.

I think flush mount are the way to go with the riding we do. Either swinging a leg over, crash, or simply brush and trees taken them out. Signal lights live a harsh life..
  19. Capt. Egregious

Capt. Egregious Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where the sewer meets the sea, Edmonds Wa
    Here's what I have been using. There from Baja Designs. Nice and bright LEDs and crash well.
    [​IMG]
  20. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    Only problem with flush mount is that non riders just don't see them, but if your riding ones of these mainly on the street your on the wrong bike. :rofl

And I like taping my singles back on after rides...LOL The bro got me some nice flexible stalk ones, I'll post up once I install them...I'm behind on my installing of mods lately.