XR650R Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by JustinT, Nov 24, 2008.

1. crypto666

crypto666 Long timer

Oddometer:

It is not a tractor.

Do not pull your buddy's ktm with your xrr.

Unless you want to replace your wrist pin often.

It is not a tractor, it is a motorcycle, and its built to go rather fast as such.

The oil jet will not spray the small end when it needs it the most.

Kind of like your wife and/or girlfriend.
  2. crypto666

crypto666 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Set it lower, that is so that it shuts of with less fuel in the bowl. Mine would run on its side with the stock unit.

Get a filter.
  3. crypto666

crypto666 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What carb?
    what jets?

What exactly are you adjusting?

Increase revs with choke sounds like a lean condition. Backfires during engine braking?

Starts easy when cold, sounds like its rich.

Hell if I know. Hanging idle can be valvles.

It seems like mine does this when I get on the lean side.

4. smoothride

smoothride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The slide in the carb is hanging up. Or the linkage in the carb is war out . I change my carb to a tm40 and problem is gone.
  5. cognugget

cognugget n00b

Oddometer:
    Im running 78s 175, poweerup needle on the 3rd clip. Mine will still backfire on hard engine braking.
  6. cognugget

cognugget n00b

Oddometer:
    Looking for tire options for the xr650r dual sport.

I ride about 50/50, singletrack woods and pavement,

I am currently running a chen shin front and a mt43 rear.
  7. Sean-0

Sean-0 straya carnt

Oddometer:
  8. slickwill

slickwill Exhiled

Oddometer:
    Just about every carb issue that I've ever had has been cured with a disassemble, clean, and reassemble. Blow carb cleaner and compressed air through every port after removing the jets.

It takes less than an hour to do the entire XRR carb from start to finish. I did the carb on my XR100 in 15 min yesterday. After that I did the entire bank of carbs on a non-running FZR400 that I picked up for cheap recently. Supposedly the carbs had been completely disassembled, ultrasonically cleaned, and then reassembled but the guy still couldn't get it to run. I was able to make it run by adding gas directly to the carbs and keeping revs above 5K so I knew I had a carb issue. I stripped them down yesterday, found a pilot screw WAY out of adjustment, and four plugged pilot jets. It runs AWESOME now. I doubled its value with 2 hours of work yesterday.

Just take your time, use a clean, organized work space, and have at it. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
  9. Tau Anvil

Tau Anvil African by trade

Oddometer:
    What racks do u boys use for the XRR. My Rack it / pro moto billet alu rack broke on the weekend with not a heavy duffel on. My GL cayote is in the post.
  10. Tau Anvil

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    These bolts broke off, drilled them and inserted Wurth inserts.

The tool from Tulbagh
  11. Tau Anvil

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    What the rack looks like now
    [​IMG]
    Otherside.

The tool from Tulbagh
  12. Tau Anvil

Oddometer:
    Oh we were 12 XrR and L out for a ride.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

me infront

The tool from Tulbagh
  13. cognugget

cognugget n00b

Oddometer:
    Looking at tires.. 50/50 riding....
    I don't know if I can beat the mt 43 for the rear. Will need a front though. looking at irc t8 battle rally. :wink:
  14. hontri

hontri Global Bummer!

Oddometer:

I kinda like this rack.But i'm kinda partial to the stuff i build.:D It is hell for stout! It has threaded inserts for fuel can mounts and all kinds of slots for bungees etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. crypto666

crypto666 Long timer

Oddometer:

Are you guys riding with Burpsa? I thought that was him in front with the xrr super tanker.
  16. BuRPsa

BuRPsa Finally growing up..

Oddometer:
    No C,

that's Tau, a hooligan of note, his tank a Safari which looks close enough. But Beserker (organiser) & me (and maybe others here?) were there too, have a look here http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=119585.0
    Yeah, mostly Afrikaans comments but then this is a local forum. Pics are universal though, should give an idea about the stunning landscape we were in. This is in the Cederberg mountains and Tankwa Karoo, quite close to Cape Town... nudge nudge.
    I started off with a nigh-on new Maxxis Deset IT rear, the chicken strips on the side still on as the previous Botswana-sand trip left them 'new'. They have chuncked quite a bit, are squarish now and are less than half, the result of rocky terrain & chasing certain hooligans in the group :freaky
    During the ride I remembered briefly that awful 'dual sport' front tyre I had on during our ride. Remind me to never ever ride with such a slick again please, proper front grip rules!
  17. BuRPsa

Oddometer:
    Tau,

as you've seen I had the same rack on, plus GL Coyote. This rack spreads the bag in a good way so as to keep it away from the exhaust, a must as I burnt a hole in it when riding with Crypto (on a 450EXR) around Nevada.
    Mind though, you'll have to thread the GL's rear metal clamps through the rack itself so that they hook on the side-rails (as the straps are too short for reaching the fender) but then it sits like a glove - plus, in this way the forces are spread nicely over the entire subframe.
    With your new inserts now in I'd fix (weld up) that rack and use it, however I'd put spacers in there where they are needed (like mine has, forgot to show you. PM me? I'll send some pics) so as to minimize the bending stresses by merely screwing it on the bike (making the fit tailormade instead of just yanking the bolts hence bending it).
    If you don't like this idea then ManRacks (a member here) makes racks, I'm sure he can help you.
  18. Sean-0

Sean-0 straya carnt

Oddometer:
    every 1 loves a pick of a pig
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

we also like vids as well
    got a light :evil

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/q9hltfSQJUI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  19. BuRPsa

Oddometer:
    Must say Sean, that looks very good! First time I see this silencer other than on their website - how does it ride, any gains maybe?
  20. Sean-0

Sean-0 straya carnt

Oddometer:
    smart of the line .. pulls a bit harder ... will know fa sure in a week or 2 .. ill dyno it again

shoots a nice flame tho :lol3