My ADVersys

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by kajj, Feb 23, 2012.

1. kajj

kajj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just one more wheelie pic:D

[​IMG]

This thing will be fast with the DRZ fork legs.
  2. Bambi

Bambi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    looking at this pic you did a really nice job with the tank-panel!!!
    I have to admit that while thinking the Versys to be a very good motorbike - especially the dual-sport-bikes built here - the original front-fairing is ugly. It seems to me that this bike is even better than I thought as it's riders ignore this point and just praise it's abilities to do everything for them.
    Now back to yours: I'm very sorry but I don't like your front-fairing, too. It's much too large and it doesn't flow into (or flow out off?) the tank-line. It looks like a strange thing that has been nailed to the front of a pretty bike - I'm sure for some good and practical reasons. But could you imagine a front fairing like the ones African Queens in Germany or Rugged Roads in Great Britain offer for Honda's African Twin. This would make your bike a stunning winner in the 'looks'-category, too!
    Just my thoughts, except for this point your build is absolute top and your build-thread is also a number-one reading!
    Oh, sorry, just another thought of mine: If you don't need the passenger's seat the bike might look better if you take it off. I think that a dual-sport bike shouldn't have a stepped seat. Hopefully the area underneath the pillion-seat isn't too hard to be covered or perhaps it's even nice enough to be disposed.
    Except for these two things: both thumps up!!!
    Kind regards from Germany, Bambi
    [​IMG]
  3. Bambi

Bambi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To show you what I meant:
    Ok, there'll be some work to adept this fairing as your tank isn't by far as big as the African Twin's. In Germany, there is an online shop under www.off-the-road.de
    They sell just an upper part of a fairing like this ...
    Kind regards, Bambi
    [​IMG]
  4. kajj

kajj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for those kind words Bambi :freaky

About the fairing:
    I have cut down the fairing, and with a higher front end it looks a lot smaller. But I understand what you mean.
    [​IMG]

I have thought about the rally fairing for the AT, KTM and several others.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This design is also avalible for the tenere 660 and seems possible to work with.
    [​IMG]

But this would almost be as complicated as making one from scratch or at least it would need some modifying with fiberglass and epoxy to make it flow with the side cowlings.
    But It is on my to do list!

If this fork swap turns out to be the right thing to do, then I could be close to having my dream bike.
    If it tuns out that it is, I will not hesitate to design a custom front fairing.

It is not possible to remove the passenger seat without reshaping the whole seat.
    And I think it is comfortable to have on those long trips (1-3 weeks and hopefully longer in the future).
    Also it has the perfect shape to support my GL bag.

Thanks again for showing interest in my build.
  5. kajj

kajj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The same company that makes the fairing for the tenere 660 in the previous post also makes these!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And they do not cost that much.

Dammit now you have made me interested in upgrading the fairing sooner then I had planed.

We will see how things play out this winter:evil
  6. Bambi

Bambi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello kajj,
    exactly the fairings from off-the-road are the ones I have in mind.
    As you can see from my avatar, I ride a 750 cc Suzuki DR Big. I'm also thinking of adepting the fairing shown in the first pic in your last post to my Suzuki. Leaving the beak in it's place this might be a far easier job than your's as it seems to be just a matter of 'cut and shut'. But working on motorcycles often confronts you with with unexpected surprises. And it's really not too expensive ... I'm a lucky guy as this company is sitting at Cologne, just some 80 kms from my home. So I can take a very close look before spending my money.
    Kind regards, Bambi
  7. kajj

kajj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I envy you. Wee do not have any companies that sell these kind of fairings here in sweden.
    And it is hard to get an idea of the size trough pictures
  8. Bambi

Bambi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello kajj,
    when I go there, I'll take some pics and do some measuring to help you save your money (or spend it!!!). Concerning that short distance it's absolute no problem to go there for a second visit and ask the questions you forgot on the first one or that sprung to mind afterwards ...
    It'll take some time as an engine-bearing has failed on Miss Marlboro. But a nice friend of mine from the German www.dr-big.de - forum wants to help me and to enable me to be part of a sandy tour in the Netherlands on the last weekend of octobre. So I should be back in the race soon ...
    Kind regards, Bambi
  9. Bambi

Bambi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry,
    it's me again. Just to give you an idea of my bike in it's actual state. Not very far from original except for the paint-job (first Dakar-version, done by one of the pre-owners), smaller direction-indicators (and their re-location up front) and the tank-crash-bars. Some things are still going to come: dual-head-lights (with a new fairing? ;-) ), dual separate rear-lights (upper one in the spanner-compartment, from an elder XT 660, lower-(LED-)one at the usual place, frame should be painted white and swinging-arm should look like an alumium-alloy one on a real Dakar-replica, round speedo and rev-counter from the later model, road-book-mount ... enough, back to your build!!!
    Kind regards, Bambi
    [​IMG]
  10. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Nice build Kajj!

I like the improvisation with re-using old parts in that high-tech workshop of yours. :D
  11. kajj

kajj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That would be awesome. Thanks :clap

Nice bike, Love the paint job. I am a fan of Dakar to. And yes it would look really good with a dual headlight.
    Are you going to keep the beek? or remove it and go with the look similar to the AT?

I guess these are the measurements that I would need to know if it would fit or not.
    [​IMG]
    Not a nice sketch, I know. But hope you understand.
  12. kajj

kajj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. :beer

I do my best with wh
  13. Bambi

Bambi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Kajj,
    I do understand your sketch!
    And yes, I'll keep the beak on my Big. I think it's not the prettiest form of a fairing's front, but this beak is the one and only original! Don't let BMW, Ducati, Triumph and all the others tell you anything else. When acquiring the bike I wanted to swap it's front for a fairing just like the ones I mentioned above. But I'll stick to the beak and put an adepted version of the twin-light fairing above it! It might even happen that I don't change the front-fairing as it's rather slim where the head-light sits. It's a challenge to put twin-headlights into the original rectangular place and looking at the space for and between the reflectors of the 'off-the-road'-fairing this might prove impossible. Because of being to wide for a proper flowing line. That's the reason to visit them with the bike ... and now we'll get two results!
    Concerning the recycling of your handle-bar as an elongation for your prop-stand, the start of Scottish cooking-recipes springs to mind: 'Take what you've got ...' Well done!
    Kind regards, Bambi
  14. elgato gordo

elgato gordo KTMRFS

Oddometer:
    It's going to look a lot better after you get it all dirty and through it on the ground a few times.

Dirty is beautiful. Great build.

15. kajj

kajj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hehe, Thanks!
  16. elgato gordo

elgato gordo KTMRFS

Oddometer:
    kajj
    Just stumbled on this thread and now read thru the entire thing. Really like what you have done with the bike and the bad a$$ fairing.

I think these bikes are great fun to ride and you get some extra enjoyment working on them. The looks are 2nd in my book because I always end up trashing something sooner or later after a couple of dirt naps.
  17. kajj

kajj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got my new set of OEM DL1000 wheel spacers. They make a perfect fit:
    Now I only have to extend the threads on the wheel axle and cut it in the right length :thumb
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also installed a new chain and rear sprocket.
    [​IMG]

II tried to remove the front sprocket but that sucker wont move:baldy
    [​IMG]

Things to do!

* mount new brake line
    * Find a 310mm disc
    * Finish wheel axle
    * fabricate brake caliper adapter
    * headlight rubbermount................ok
    * new rally fairing
    * carbonfiber dash, relocate swithes and power outlets
    * relocate turn signals
    * Weld and paint sidestand
    * Install HID lights
    * mount radiator guard
    * cut front fender and fabricate mount.
    * change sprockets and chain....................2/3 ok
    * Air filters
    * paint lugage rack
    * tighten side mirror mounts
    * check rear wheel/swingarm bearings................ok
  18. rlbowers03

rlbowers03 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I had the same problem! I ended up taking it to a friend that owns a X-Large air compressor and an impact wrench. We hit approx 100ft lbs of torque before that thing came loose :huh

Good luck
  19. kajj

kajj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A short vid a friend and I put together. Nothing to serious, just having fun on the trail.
    Not that god quality but enjoy:beer
    <object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YUWpC5hVkas?version=3&amp;hl=sv_SE"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YUWpC5hVkas?version=3&amp;hl=sv_SE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

I have one more that should be up in a few weeks.
  20. kajj

kajj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So. I need a front fender. And I prefer a low fender to keep the mud and gravel away from the radiator and engine.
    But I can not mount the Versys fender as it is supposed to be mounted.

Hmm, I need a custom bracket from the fork legs to support the fender.
    Well I had this available
    [​IMG]

Some time later I now have this :clap
    Don`t look to bad and is really sturdy. The nuts might be a bit too close to the tire, but it should be fine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This mount is adjustable, and I can move the fender up and down depending on the terrain.
    If it gets to muddy, just move it up a bit to get more clearance.

Things to do!

* mount new brake line
    * Find a 310mm disc
    * Finish wheel axle
    * fabricate brake caliper adapter
    * headlight rubbermount................................................ok
    * new rally fairing
    * carbonfiber dash, relocate swithes and power outlets
    * relocate turn signals
    * Weld and paint sidestand
    * Install HID lights
    * mount radiator guard