The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    An option for different turn signal switches? That would be wacky and a nightmare to keep stock in the channel since it wouldn't be something that couldn't be easily swapped at the dealer level. Should Triumph have an option for right-side-shifting/left-side-braking for those wanting to match their 1969 Bonny?

This is a classic example of a no-win for BMW. For years and years, they've been chastised repeatedly and vehemently for being stubborn about their non-standard turn signal switchgear. So they finally change it and now we have folks up in arms about the change.

This is a tempest in a teapot. Get over it. Adapt.

- Mark
  2. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exactly.

I would be willing to bet there are more people that appreciate the industry standard switches than dislike them. While I like the independant switchgear signals of BMW and HD, I really dislike how the BMW cancels...making me do anything with my throttle hand just downright pisses me off. There is no need for it...completely uncalled for...
  3. MANXMAN

MANXMAN Old Git

Oddometer:
    So it's rear wheel only braking for you then?
  4. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Linked brakes! :evil

Jim :brow

PS I know a guy who only has linked brakes. His right hand is barely functional.
  5. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Not on the GS. The front lever also activates rear brakes, but the foot lever activates only rear brakes.

Btw: it's in your own FAQ ... :lol3
  6. Socrates

Socrates Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same here. I've test driven a GS a couple of times and the BMW turn signals were a real PITA for me. It may be a minor issue but it made me think twice about even buying a BMW. Very glad they changed to the industry standard switches.
  7. DannyZRC

DannyZRC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't mind the BMW paddle signals overmuch, I prefer the standard style.

But but but but but.

I really dislike the quasi-solid turnsignal switch they use now. Normal setup has a switch with a relatively large throw, but BMWs little nubbin hardly moves.

I also don't like losing the big hotgrip switch with physical states, I assume the new hotgrip switch is just a toggle which you have to read off the instrument panel?
  8. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    The turn signal switch is not mechanical, like on other bikes, so it doesn't need as long a throw.

The heated grips button is also not mechanical, press it once or press it twice and watch for the heated grips symbol on the LCD display.

The new switchgear has been troublesome on the K16 with repeated clutch side switch failures and new part numbers for newer gen switches.. so we'll see how it works on the new GS.
  9. milo

milo Long timer

Oddometer:

Down force and funneling air to the oil cooler?
  10. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    It significantly reduces water/mud splash against the headlights, it funnels air to the oil cooler, it slightly protects the Telelever from stuff thrown at it from vehicles ahead.
  11. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    and don't forget about the stabilizing at high speed :evil
  12. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    That it doesn't do as far as I'm aware. Their are aerodynamic effects of course, but not regarding stability.
  13. DannyZRC

DannyZRC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    area ahead of the CG is destabilizing, not stabilizing.
  14. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    I wasn't saying the GS had linked brakes, read the context.

15. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fixt.
  16. Slippy Chips

Slippy Chips Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the opportunity to sit on the new 2013 GS tonight at the bike show in Atlanta. BMW had a rather large section there, but only one 2013 water-boxer. I'm still pretty much a n00b so take it for what it's worth, but here's my take on the new bike after seeing it in person:

I like it, probably more than I thought I would. I thought it would stick out like a sore thumb, but I actually had to look around for a minute. The seating position was very comfortable. I couldn't really feel the added weight although I'm sure the tank was empty and there were no cases.

It feels like the pegs are a little lower and further forward, but it didn't have a center stand so I couldn't fully test it out. It was nice not having the intake hose bumping into my shin. As far a seat hight goes. The guy didn't know what setting it was on, but I could barely flat-foot it. It seemed like it was about the same height as my '09. The SEAT: Was much, much, much better! I know that's not saying much for the standard GS, but in the 5 minutes I spent on it it felt a lot more comfortable. It was wider in the back, and narrower in the front.

The SPORK: As everyone likes to call it. In person it doesn't seem to stand out as much. The two fangs cover up the dual radiators and actually taper in towards the bike nicely. They don't seem to be such an eye sore in person. I could see a lot of owners painting them a darker color and feeling good about it.

The adjustable windshield was nice and really easy to use. I will say the whole set up seemed a little flimsy, so I'm sure Touratech will have a nice aftermarket version that holds up better. Unfortunately this one did not have the new LED light I like so much.

That's my take.

PS: I have about 5 photos I took on my iphone. If someone would like to post them on here just PM me your e-mail and I'd be happy to email them to you to post.
  17. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    You know, the context here is the water cooled GS. I think, I got that fairly straight. What your implied context is that you're not including in your little joke isn't very obvious ...

So, I can only say, if the GS wasn't the context, you're posting in the wrong thread. :deal
  18. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:

Apparently you need a roadmap!

<o:p></o:p>

Nevermind if you don't get it from this.

I was mearly making a joke in reference that he didn't want to do anything but throttle with his right hand.

To do that he would have to have linked brakes. I was NOT saying the GS had linked brakes. Clear enough?

19. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    I get that you were making a joke - but what I found way funnier is that the linked brakes on the GS work in a way that this doesn't work out. And that I found your FAQ as the first hit in google was more than ironic.
  20. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Not ironic if I WASN"T TALKING ABOUT A GS!:deal