Poor Sealing of CPR Rottweiler Filter-Anyone Else Notice This?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by AdvRonski, Jan 26, 2013.

1. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    Fruita, center of the Dirt Bike Universe.
    When I pulled the CPR filter off for cleaning, I noticed a trail of dirt/dust along the RF corner. Since the tanks were off, I was able to get a good look at the area with the filter back in place-

[​IMG]

The outside edge of the ear that has the Dzus fastener is contacting the base plate, instead of fitting over it, and it has warped the filter frame, and allowed a gap for dirt to enter.
    It appears that the crankcase vent one-way valve, which is mounted in the hole provided for it, is just a bit too close to the sealing area, and contacts the filter frame, not allowing it to sit squarely on the base-

[​IMG]

I tried to gently bend that portion of the ear, but it just broke the edge off. At least it was able to fit over the base that way, although it was still warped a bit-

[​IMG]

I'll clamp the area, and see if the parts will eventually return to their normal shape-

[​IMG]

There really isn't much room to move the valve in any further, as there is already very little room to fit the hose to the valve- the clearance to the carb body is very small-

[​IMG]

Has anyone else found this to be an issue?
  2. TcRulz

TcRulz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your problems. I know there was a recall on CPR's original base:eek1. Not sure why but this might explain it. Time to ring the reseller and ask I think:D
  3. AdvRonski

Oddometer:
    Actually, that is the updated base. I was wondering how others mounted the one-way valve. The valve is built in two halves. screwed together. I unscrewed the valve, then fit them back together on the base plate.
    The hole seems to be sized to mount it this way, except for the interference with the filter frame.
  4. CPRFAB

CPRFAB Banned

Oddometer:
    Ronski, looking at your first pic I seems that you may have overlooked line 13 in the instructions. It states "Do not force the filter down to the plate by pushing on it as this may damage the plastic tabs or break them. Rather “Pinch” them together gently and once the red part of the base of the filter is over the black plastic base you will be able to lock the “D” rings to the plate".
    Our new plates are indestructable can no longer be damaged but it seams that you have managed to secure the D ring without the filter seated. This can only be done by force and we would recommend that you pull the filter securely to the right before you attempt to lock the D ring moving forward.
    We apologize that you had this problem and can assure you that we are closing in on nearly 1000 units in use and have never seen this problem. Ever. If you would like to send us the unit we are happy to inspect the issue and replace any parts we feel may be in question. We stand behind our product 100% and are always available if you have any questions.

Sincerely,
    The CPR Fab team.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/j8JWPSXSFcg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  5. pdxmotorhead

pdxmotorhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    This particular filter style requires careful placement befoe you set the 1/4 turn fasteners.

The 1/4 turns float to allow for adjustment to fit correctly.
    The downside is the receivers can slip into interference with the filter to filter base..

The only flaw I see is that a brass or AL fitting would be trimmer and not be as prone to interference..

Cheers
    Dave
  6. WallyWhirled

WallyWhirled Long timer

Oddometer:
    How.does.one.know if they have a new plate or an old plate? Still have not installed mine that was a pre order.
  7. CPRFAB

CPRFAB Banned

Oddometer:
    We did a complete upgrade about 6 months ago. The new plates are injection molded "Super Tough Nylon" and have an embossed logo. Like in the pics above. If you have an old model we will ship you a new one. Just please don't take vise grips to it, just call us and we will walk you through it. Or see here http://www.rottweilerperformance.com
  8. AdvRonski

Oddometer:

OK, I will try again to explain the issue here.
    I took the filter assembly off the bike, to better see what's happening.
    With the filter mounted to the base plate, you can see the rear ear of the filter is fairly well centered on the ear of the base plate-

[​IMG]

The front ears though, do not line up-

[​IMG]

My concern was that the filter frame was contacting the breather valve, and not allowing it to center on the front portion of the base plate-

[​IMG]

So I took the valve off the base plate, to see if that would allow the frame to fit better.
    It looks the same to me, still not centered, which won't allow the filter to seal properly-

[​IMG]

Looking through the valve mounting hole, it looks like there is plenty of clearance for the valve, so it seems like just a poor fit of the filter to the frame-

[​IMG]

I would like to point out that following step 13 of the instructions is not very practical with the fuel tanks installed, since you can't really see underneath the base plate to verify the fit of the filter.
    Of course, it would have been very helpful to have seen the instructions, but I didn't find any included with the original filter, or with the updated base plate.
    At this point, with the interfering piece of the filter cracked off, the filter fits just fine, and am VERY pleased with the performance increase after some jetting work.
    I was surprised that there were no jetting suggestions with the filter, but thankfully there were enough OC members working on their own jetting that were gracious enough to share their work.
    If there were one suggestion I would make, it would be to angle the mounting hole for the breather valve, for greater clearance between the hose and the carb top-

[​IMG]
  9. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    I guess the filter "lip" makes it hard. Maybe during installation, a plastic bag or something could help the base plate slide under the "lip" and over the sponge?
  10. rossguzzi

rossguzzi Started on Montesa.

Oddometer:
    I can only suggest wriggling it around till you get the tab fitting in properly before you tighten the fastener. I have to with mine.
    Can you fit a full length inlet trumpet under your filter? My filter looks different. It has a steel frame.
    Cheers.
  11. CPRFAB

CPRFAB Banned

Oddometer:
    Rosguzzi, you probably have the SE version is why yours is metal inside. It's a clearance thing on that bike. Although the tops are different they use the exact same base.
    Bottom line is, even with the ADV side tanks on (and we own one) reach in with both hands and "pinch" the tabs together until you "feel" them seat and click in. We made the fit tight on purpose. The DZUS fasteners are designed to not engage unless you have done this but somehow you managed to do it. The pic with the vise grips gives us an idea. We may add "don't use vise grips, hammer or any garden tools" in the instructions.
    There is some post machining that goes on with our base plates and they MUST fit into our tool for this to happen and this is how they are fit checked before final assembly. This is how we know every single one fits the same. If you have the tanks on, you just need to feel the ears with your fingers and you will know instantly it is correct if the ears are locked in. You should not see the black base plate sticking out the side as the red base is designed to "cup" over it.

Cheers,
    CPR Fab
    www.rottweilerperformance.com
  12. AdvRonski

Oddometer:
    +1

I must say, I'm not impressed with the attitude from the CPR folks. Simply put, the dimensions of their product are off, requiring you to distort the filter frame to get it to fit over the base correctly. I don't know why they don't acknowledge that, and choose instead to make fun of people who spent the $300 for an air filter that doesn't quite fit together right.
    And, here's something about vise-grip pliers- (ignoring the fact that the picture shows them being used as a clamp to try to fix the distorted filter frame and base), these pliers can be used to apply the lightest of pressure, as well as plastic-crushing force. I've been a Automotive Master Tech for almost 40 years now, and I know one thing for sure-
    you have to be smarter than the tools you're using.
    Something the boys at CPR have yet to figure out.
  13. KTMADV

KTMADV Hammer Down

Oddometer:
    I would put stock air box back on or one that does not have problems. I have stock air box in my bike and I like it for very dirty and dusty condition here in northern cali.
  14. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    Hey SW- did you by any chance get the ITG megaflow filter and undrilled base plate and drill it to fit? I've been thinking about doing that. I notice they list a fitment for the KTM 950, but I can't figure out if it's a baseplate or a replacement filter for the stock airbox.
  15. mountain eagle

mountain eagle terrorist

Oddometer:
    Yup, when I didn't quite line things up right and allow the back half to get seated all the way, the front dzus connectors wouldn't line up......

Once I got it seated right though, it seals up just fine :dunno
  16. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    ITG vvith alu base. VVorks fine

[​IMG]
  17. CPRFAB

CPRFAB Banned

Oddometer:
    Ronski, we certainly do not intend to offend anyone who has invested in our product and as said before we stand behind our fit and finish 100%. We have demonstrated this to a high level of customer satisfaction at every level. Moving forward we can assure you that a simple phone call or email will elicit an unmeasurable amount of support from us. Currently we have close to 900 units in service, all of the exact size and shape, that owners have had no fitting issues whatsoever. We can only assume by the pictures posted and the type of tools used in them that improper techniques were used to damage the filter base. Starting a thread entitled in this fashion without effort to contact us is admittedly hard to take seriously so please accept our apologies. Feel free to give us a call at 949-412-1971 Pacific time and we will do whatever it takes to satisfy you with our product. No questions asked. We have never heard a report of an issue like this and we are happy to pay for the shipping and replacement if we find there is in fact a problem.

Best regards,
    Chris Parker
    Owner, CPR Fab / Rottweiler Intake Systems
  18. corndog67

corndog67 Banned

Oddometer:
    CPR seems to be bending over backward for you, are you still gonna gripe about them?
  19. Kafn8td

Kafn8td Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Amen! Chris seems to be doing all he can do. As a CPR owner, the first thing I learned was to line it up correctly. If you don't, it has to be forced together. The materials used will last a lifetime if used correctly.

Doesn't aluminum transfer heat much better than plastic? Why have even hotter air going into your intake?
  20. NewYorkLuke

NewYorkLuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks to me that the original intent of the post was not to bad mouth the product. Sounded like he was searching for someone with the same issue and a possible solution. Then the company jumps on the OP and insults his use of vise grips, if it were me I wouldnt be happy with that. just my 2 cents.