Help!!! About to pull the trigger

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by jumpingjerry, Feb 1, 2013.

1. jumpingjerry

jumpingjerry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    About to buy a bike any day now. I've narrowed it down to 3 bikes. New 2013 G 650 GS, New 2012 Suzuki DR 650SE, or a Kawasaki KLR (found a few new and used).
    The order so far is the Suzuki first, BMW close second, then the KLR.
    I can probably get the KLR the cheapest on a used one. Hard to find a used Suzuki around her. The BMW the most money. It will be a bike just for fun. Would like to go more into the dirt, but just not sure how much I will used it in the dirt. Last bike was a 2007 Yamaha FZ6. Loved it, but I just don't need to go that fast any more. Also had a Yamaha TTR230 dirt bike in the past. Thanks for any inputs. I've been really busy and have been trying to sneak in some forum readings to try and figure out what I want. Every time I look I get more undecided.
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    how you using it? i love my dr and it's a true 50/50 bike with mods.
    needs seat concept seat (all bikes need a better seat), engine skid plate.
    optional is bigger tank - acerbis and wind protection laminiar lip and drop pegs if your tall.
    it's very well supported, easy to work on and dead reliable.
    http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html

i had a klr and it's much bigger and less dirt worthy but a bit better on the hiway.. read the bmw is even less dirtworthy but really great on the street.
  3. By-tor

By-tor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have had all 3 options. I am now on a KLR and I can tell you that the KLR does everything well. If you want a bike that you can go anywhere, get the KLR. Had a BMW....too expensive to fix.
    I mostly commute on my bike 50 miles a day, some hwy. and some backroads. It does good off road also with the right tires. The DR is better off road but suffers on the highway. (my opinions).

Good luck,

Eric
  4. sdd04

sdd04 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
    LIke they said. Decide how you think you are going to ride, then go test ride all of them.

I have a KLR, and access to a Super Sherpa, Honda XR 650R, and a 955 Tiger. All of these bikes have their strong and weak points. Find the bike that has more strong points in the way you want to ride!
  5. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:
    I own a XRR, and have rode a DR and KLR.

I'd NEVER point anybody in their right mind to a KLR.... (flame on).

DR is a solid choice for 50/50. It'll do easy trails, moderate with a good pilot.

XRR is an animal, but it still does everything. I mean it'll run gnarly single track if you want to wrestle through it, yet it'll cruise down the highway fairly well.

Honda needs to come out with the XR750R. Call it done. Kick start, basic electronics, no crap you don't need or want. Simple and reasonably priced with a torquey, smooth engine running a CARB. No FI for this guy.
  6. Davidc83

Davidc83 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The bmw is more expensive to fix; however, they dont need fixed unless you crash and break them. I have the 2009 g650gs with 32000 miles on it now (bought it new) and nothing has needed fixed, but I dont do off road trails; it is good on gravel, hard packed dirt and hard pack sand. It is great on back country asphalt roads and I have did numerous 800+ mile one day trips (indiana to florida and back) on the interstate and it will cruise 85-90mph all day long (without getting squirrelly).
  7. bigkatie

bigkatie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think that you owe it to yourself to check out the new Husqvarna Terra 650.It would fit your needs quite well. I recently took one for a test ride and it is a fabulous bike. Very easy on the wallet also.Check out some of the posts that new owners have been posting on this very thumper thread.
  8. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where are you at? What kind of dirt riding? What kind of highway riding? Your height/weight/inseam/fitness? Passenger? Luggage? Do your own wrenching? Any long trips?

I'm a big fan of the DR. The DR is the dirt-worthiest bike you mentioned. It can be made even more dirt-worthy. It can also be made more slab-worthy. My DR is better than stock at both. I load and ride it like a touring bike. I strip off the luggage and ride it like a dirtbike. It takes crashes well. It's simple. I can touch the ground on it. It doesn't overheat or burn a bunch of oil. High revs while bombing slab don't seem to bother it. Valves can be adjusted without needing a shim collection. It runs fine on barrel gas. I can pick it up by myself all day long. Mine wheelies easily, and I've just tuned the intake/carbing a bit. Mods for 50+WHP are on the market. The stock suspension is squishy if you're over 160lb. Almost all stock suspensions are squishy if you're over 185lb. It can also use valving help. I don't seem to need a windscreen on mine. A bigger plastic tank can work great on these bikes.
  9. jumpingjerry

jumpingjerry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the replies. I've looked at the Husqvarna, very nice bike. Was set on that for a bit too. Local dealer ( 1 hour away) will not come of sticker price at all on it. BMW offers $500 rebate for military and police. Like the look of the BMW better. Still not sure. I want to do dirt riding, but I'm used to street. Would like to do all my own wrenching.

Still leaning 60/40 towards the Suzuki over the beamer. My closest Suzuki dealer first offered $6377 out the door on a new 2012 DR. Got them down to $6000 out the door. Still think they can go lower. They are 1 hour away. Another dealer offered about $5700 out the door, but they are over 3 hours away. I don't mind road trips, but my wife is 8 months pregnant, so no long trips for a bit. Found a used 2012 (1500 miles on it) for about $5200 out the door that is only two hours away. I think I can get them down more.

Going to call the BMW place and see what kind of number I can get them down to.

The local motorcycle dealer (10 min away) has a new 2011 KLR, but want $6300 out the door on it. They don't seem to want to budge on the price and have a bad rep.
  10. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where are you located?....what kind of "off-road" are you talking about......geography;that will make a big difference in your choice!.
  11. jumpingjerry

jumpingjerry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Located in Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Looking to get more into dirt riding. Nothing too crazy though.
  12. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Another vote for the mighty, flexible, and SIMPLE DR650! :)

Rob
  13. heirhead

heirhead Worlds Worst Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Hello,

+1 on the DR650. I have dr650, dr350 and xt225, just sold tw200 and Dakar this summer. When I get off a klr and on to my dr650, it feels the same as when I get off my dr650 and on my xt225. One feels like a pig and the other one feels like a mx bike. Rode dr650 to Idaho from SoCal in a hurry to river raft and was great at 75-80 with a 16 front sprocket, no problem. The klr is a fantastic bike with a great reputation all over the world but I just like the DR better, no Doohickeys or Thermobobs or dinglewhatever!
    Simple bike. Road my xt to Idaho and back 2500 miles with no problem either. Bought a 2007 gs650 Dakar, 500 miles, another great bike but rode it 25 miles and knew it was not the bike for me off road, sold it. The KLR and Dr
    have so many goodies to put on them and you don't have to open your FAT wallet or the Touratech 1" thick Catalog to get them like the BMW. Most of all don't buy one or the other because it is 2 or $300 more or less. I bought all of mine used and my DR650 had 1 1/2 yrs on warranty left, did not need it. Ride them all and buy the one that fits your riding style now and maybe later as they are all great bikes.

Heirhead
  14. pdxmotorhead

pdxmotorhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had a DR350, good solid bike, nothing over the top special.. The stock tires were crap.
    The stock suspension needed tuning form day one.. It was way off, my DR5650 riding friends said the same.

If you get a suzuki, ride it the 500 mile breaking and find a good mechanic at a Suzuki/Yamaha dealer and have them re-jet and service it fo r the first tuneup. The Yami dealers have a dyno for tuning the big touring bikes and the guy that set mine up used it to tune the carb.

ALways turn the fuel petcock to reserve while starting, the vacume operated fuel valve sucks.. It takes forever to start if you don't. Turn it back to run after your started.

I just bought a KTM.. drank the coolaid.. Orange.. :)

Dave
  15. jumpingjerry

jumpingjerry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the replies! I have just about decided on a DR650. It's either gonna be a new 2012 or a used 2012 with 1,500 miles on it. It's up to the dealers to see who can give the best deal. So far the new one is $6000 out the door. The used one is $5300 out the door with warranty till Oct 24th 2013. They are working on the price for the used one and I am waiting for them to get back to me.
  16. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Sweet! You'll love it! Hopefully they can get the used one down to $5k or lower.

If you haven't started yet, you should start reading the DR650 Thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135295 -- should take you about nine months to get current. :)

Rob
  17. jumpingjerry

jumpingjerry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Got the used one down to $4780 out the door. If everything goes as planed I will be making a road trip Tuesday go get it.
  18. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    That's a great price for such a new DR with low miles. Awesome! I trust you put a deposit on it so it doesn't disappear on you?

Rob
  19. dwthump

dwthump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love my KLR, (with the right tires), but I rode a buddy's DR a while back and it really felt great with the lower center of gravity. The same buddy told me that my KLR's seat felt like you were sitting on your couch at home compared to his DR, it's all relative. I'm 6'2" and 280 so the KLR fits me better, (with the right tires, of course).

Darren

*It's a KLR, I'll catch up*
  20. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Start reading the DR650 wikia too. Pay attention to fixes and upgrades.

Then check out some of the special package deals and individual items for the DR at www.procycle.us. There are a bunch of other vendors supporting the DR too...www.kientech.com, www.happy-trail.com, www.wolfmanluggage.com, www.bikebandit.com, www.cyclegear.com, www.motorcycle-superstore.com, and many others.