Trike alignment question

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by argentcorvid, Jan 14, 2013.

1. argentcorvid

argentcorvid Some Guy

Oddometer:
    I know this is a stretch on being on topic, but we have a worksman trike (yes, the pedal kind) at work that pulls pretty hard to the left when the rider takes their hands off the bars.

I was wondering if anyone here had any general tips on how to fix it.
  2. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Worksman makes trikes with one wheel up front and two in back, and also with two up front and one in back. Which one you got?

Whichever one it is, I'd start by looking at the wheel bearings for the right side wheel (for either configuration.) Sounds like maybe that right wheel is dragging. Then I'd look to see if the frame got bent somehow. You want to be sure that a plumb line dropped from the center of the top of the seat post definitely goes down through the center of the frame.
  3. argentcorvid

argentcorvid Some Guy

Oddometer:
    It's the basic one wheel in front kind.

it's so weird, you take your hands off the bars and it's like a ghost turns them to the left.

one of the less responsible employees was witnessed two wheeling around a corner when we first got it. I also can't rule out exceeding weight limits, but not sure on that one.
  4. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    OH! To the left! For some reason, I read post #1 and my brain recorded that it was pulling right. So ignore what I said above.

If it's turning left then that means either the whole trike is leaning left (something's bent) or the LEFT rear wheel is dragging (wheel bearings.)

The only other thing it could be, like in your title, is an alignment problem. You can check toe in or toe out of the rear wheels with a long straightedge or a laser level.
  5. argentcorvid

argentcorvid Some Guy

Oddometer:
    The bike is pretty new and in a pretty clean environment, so i thinking bearings are less likely, although i guess still possible. I'll check the straightness in a couple spots.

<small>Posted during work using magic</small>
  6. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    If the headset bearings are overly loose or tight or pitted may cause the bike to steer poorly and pull, but imported bike frames are often crooked and require a bit of bending and aligning any old time bicycle mechanic should be able to do, are the fork ends parallel without the front wheel in place ?DB
  7. Pugsley/Hobbfather

Pugsley/Hobbfather Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an old bike (well, to some of you...since it's aluminum, it might as well be new in my world), anyway ALL the cable runs go on one side, which means that the cable+housing stiffness is enough to push the handlebars.

Can't remember which side, but since it's not a trike, I have to lean pretty far to ride no hands. Since there are potholes and dirt wherever I go, it really doesn't matter...

...but thanks for making me think about it.

Sheesh!