KLR 650 Modifications

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by VascoMerlin, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Jettn Jim

Jettn Jim This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer:
    NE PA Some... PNW Some... On HIGH ADVENTURE Most!
    Yup true... I'm a 606 fan myself, and if I'm looking for a 6-7,000mi front knobby when doing alotta slab (less aggressive), then the T-63 is my baby. Gotta throw the venerable 244 in here too if your mixing it up and will spend most of your time on pavement and Forest Servive roads. I just find myself pushing it in sketchy situations enough that I mostly run the 606... prob 90% of the time.
  2. ThomasVolomitz

ThomasVolomitz New Old Stock

Oddometer:
    The good thing and bad thing about the KLR is it has the longest list of possible modifications of any bike. So far I have done the Happy Trails Rallye Windshield and Dash with MRA attachment,, Sargent Seat (excellent investment), Eagle Mike Doo w/ torsion spring, larger footpegs, Dirt Racks luggage racks, Rox Risers 2" bar risers, DR 650 mirrors with extenders, Acerbis supermoto front fender, subframe bolt upgrade and just now ordered the Watt Man thermo -bob.
    What am I missing?
  3. GO_OUTSIDE!

GO_OUTSIDE! dirty hippie

Oddometer:
    Oops i meant 244's not 705's. I still run the 244's in the rear and am pretty happy with them.
  4. Skowinski

Skowinski opposable thumbs

Oddometer:
    The money you spent? :D

Maybe you want some protection for the radiator and tank, Happy Trails or SW Motech make crash bars.
  5. Cabrito

Cabrito I come in peace Supporter

Oddometer:
    You have only scratched the surface of available mods. I'd say you are about 1/3 there.. Or you could just ride it as is and enjoy.
    For me it's half the fun adding stuff to the bike. So many farkle's so little time.....

On the flip side of that I put plenty of miles on this KLR with no fancy doohickey or luggage or thermobob... Only things I added were a skid plate and a taller windshield. Ended up removing the windshield though because I hated it.
    [​IMG]
  6. IDRIDR

IDRIDR Take me to the River

Oddometer:
    Milk crate?
  7. SkiBumBrian

SkiBumBrian DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer:
    Lots more.... My list is at 38 mods and almost nothing that is on yours. The possibilities are truly endless ..
  8. PacificPT

PacificPT Long timer

Oddometer:
    38 mods, hmmm, now I am going to have to count mine. Almost afraid to though.
  9. XpressCS

XpressCS Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer:
    I'm up to a whopping 4 mods :rofl

So many things to do still.. So little funding.. :*sip*
  10. RevBill

RevBill Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer:
    .. the list is long .. fun .. and sometimes more expensive than others .. but through trial and error I am enjoying my KLR more every year ..
  11. SkiBumBrian

Oddometer:
    I thought I had posted my list but I couldn't find it... I was bored one day and pulled out all my receipts just for fun... Kinda startled me when I saw the length of the list and total.. YIKES!
    688 kit
    ported head
    hot cams
    1mm over SS valves
    CV40pumper/Lectron 44mm PowerJet
    Big Gun exhaust
    SS oversize head pipe
    Uni dual stage sock
    EM torsion doohickey
    14T CS
    LoPro oil drain plug
    SS brake lines
    Thermo-Bob
    Ricor IAS rear shock
    Ricor Intiminators
    Progressive Springs
    SS oil filter
    Motion Pro Vortex throttle assembly
    Subframe drill through bolt upgrade
    SW Motech Skid Plate
    IMS long shifter
    SW Motech Convertible pegs
    AntiGravity LIFe battery
    IMS tank
    KLX fairing
    Vapor Stealth computer
    Seat Concepts saddle
    ProTaper bars
    KFX rear Fender
    LED brake/tail light
    Acerbis Rally Pro guards
    Acerbis front fender
    LED turn signals
    Cortech tail bag
    Mosse racing shock sock

I took some things out of the list cuz they were parts incorporated in the carbs, battery mounts, etc that don't really count... I think another radiator is next, these 110 degree days in traffic in NorCal gets that temp soaring...
    Like I said it was all in fun....:freaky
  12. Jack90210

Jack90210 quia ego nominor leo

Oddometer:
    +1, especially the "long" part. :freaky
  13. GO_OUTSIDE!

GO_OUTSIDE! dirty hippie

Oddometer:
    Dont forget heated grips, do forget those heated filaments that go under the grips, the bars will suck all the heat away, get the kind where the filament is molded into the grip.
  14. ThomasVolomitz

ThomasVolomitz New Old Stock

Oddometer:
    I went for the heated jacket, gloves and socks. Certainly lengthens the riding season.
  15. PWRCRZR

PWRCRZR Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer:
    heated gloves are on my short list for new gear...grips are ok in cool weather but not cold:deal
  16. SkiBumBrian

Oddometer:
    With an average yearly temp of 67 degrees I need cooling grips and jacket....
  17. redog1

redog1 KTM 950se old fart

Oddometer:
    I guess that's a matter of perception and where your expectations are. I have the heated filament type, been on the bike for 3 years, work great and at times get too hot even when on the low setting. That's why asking advice on what works sometimes (I said sometimes) is silly. Accesories, tires, oil to use, try different stuff and you'll find what works for you. If you're not willing to try different things, you're setting yourself up for dissappointment. There isn't always an instant answer, one size fits all remedy.
    Now go ride!:D
  18. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    This comment made me look up the stats for Tulsa, OK.

Interesting stuff. We avg 60.8 deg annually, but we have about as many <32 deg days as we have >90 deg days (each is over sixty days). Calling Tulsa weather "mild" is a gross understatement.:D
  19. Aprilia

Aprilia Long timer

Oddometer:
    My drive way is at 7000ft so average temps are 45.8F. While we get more snow than most anywhere we have lots of sunshine (its Arizona!) so riding year round is generally not a problem. Head south (downhill) 2hrs and temps are always 30-35F warmer anytime of year.
  20. SkiBumBrian

Oddometer:
    This was an uncommon year, we actually had a couple of days at freezing..(brrr) as far as Aprilia goes, I spent a number of my younger years in Durango, CO, at about the same elevation. Are you anywhere close to Cloudcroft? Oh, I just looked, Flagstaff! Used to drive through all the time on the way to SoCal. I love that area!