Treasure Valley Winter Dirt Rides/Campouts

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by trailrider383, Nov 2, 2013.

1. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    There are a few of us here that like to ride through the winter to help the calendar pages flip a little faster towards spring. Even more rare are the few that like to camp in the winter. This thread is for planning day rides in the dirt and camp & rides.

I will start it off with a camp and ride December 7-8 at Weiser Sand Dunes. Come out and camp or come out and ride one day. We'll have a big camp fire to warm things up Saturday night. Damp winter sand is a hoot to ride! As it gets closer to that weekend it's possible that I might change it to the following weekend if the weather is looking particularly bad.
  2. WhiskeySierra

WhiskeySierra Day L8, $1 Short

Oddometer:
    Throwin' down! :deal :thumb
  3. hyperboarder

hyperboarder Potato Farmer

Oddometer:
    I'm totally down for winter riding and camping. Sand however...
  4. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    It's the perfect place to practice your sand riding skills. Make sand your friend. :thumb If you fall down at least it's a soft landing. :D
  5. effensteve

effensteve Enjoying the ride

Oddometer:
    Looks like I may have to work a little harder on the little bike search :evil
  6. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    Yeah, get on that pronto!
  7. WhiskeySierra

WhiskeySierra Day L8, $1 Short

Oddometer:
    Is it winter yet? :ricky
  8. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    Almost.
  9. SOP Dirt-Rider

SOP Dirt-Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd argue that point!! FWIW, avoid the edges of the pooled water, looks awesome from a distance, before you hit it, looks like hell when ya wake up some 20ish feet from the point of bike stoppage:eek1
    Lets find some snow, say Southern Gifford Pinchot, maybe Birds Creek area? Island Cabin comes to mind:deal
  10. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:

:scratch You know this is in Idaho right?
  11. SOP Dirt-Rider

Oddometer:
    Yep!! Heck, I traveled to Colorado for a wee ride, Idaho is just around the corner:wink: I am eagerly awaiting the release of the IDBDR from TT, which rumor has it is next on the list:deal
  12. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    So we can expect to see you at the dunes December 7th then?
  13. SOP Dirt-Rider

Oddometer:
    intriguing, Pearl Harbor day and in the sand? I may just do it, I just hope the weather is nasty, no fun riding in moisture free air. Will the temps be above freezing? I hope not, gotta separate the riders from the owners:deal
  14. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    I was out there one time when there was a few inches of snow on the sand. That was fun. Loose white stuff on loose sand and sometimes loose white stuff on frozen sand. :clap

Come on down and don't forget your favorite "innards warming beverage" for sitting around the campfire. :kumbaya:loaded
  15. effensteve

Oddometer:
    Short notice, but thats how I roll

I'm heading out to Rabbit creek Monday (11/25) and coming home on tuesday (11/26). I'll park the tent trailer at the rabbit creek parking lot and will probably get there around noon or so. I will have plenty of fire wood and even a nice little quart of cherry moonshine :wink: that I picket up the other day. Note that I am not bringing a little bike this time. I'm having a shake down weekend for my new to me 950.. Pyro256 will bring his pig bike also. So come on out and at least say hi.
  16. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    You need to follow the race course from last weekend. :evil It started and ended at the Rabbit Creek parking lot. Two separate loops. 58 miles of woo hoo!!! :clap:pynd:ricky
  17. effensteve

Oddometer:
    Most definately will run the race course, or as much of it as I can find. I also have a beef to settle with a big sandy climb that my poor drz didn't have the balz to get up. 1.6 times the weight should be overcome by 3x the power, right? :D
  18. FoolHardy

FoolHardy Still Inky

Oddometer:
    I like your math :) Looks like it was a pretty nice day for riding. Were it not for my sister's car I would have been down to ride with you guys. BTW- It's great to have a mechanic in your family, unless it happens to be you.
  19. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:

How was it? Did you roll?

It's finally looking like it's going to cool off so we can get a proper winter camp and ride accomplished. It was too nice when you went. :ksteve
  20. effensteve

Oddometer:
    Hell ya I rolled :ricky. The bike performed well to say the least. Sand washes werent bad if I kept on the throttle :evil . The whoops were waaaaaaaay better on the 950 than the drz.

So when I started the trip, I had this beautiful, pristine, garage/highway queen of a 950. It had really, truly never seen gravel, much less boulders :wink:. So I slapped some Knobbs on it, and a big ass black dog skid plate ( best money I've spent in a while). So here's a few pics. I haven't gone through the video yet but since I'm now unemployed I should have time to do a little video or two over the winter months.

In the beginning she was pristine

[​IMG]

We rode a few sand washes-- Braaaaap

[​IMG]

Did a little bouldering

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Found a couple miles of sweeet single track

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bla, Bla steeper than it looks, got crossed up, high sided and threw the queen (with no tank protecting crash bars) down on to what was about a 10 inch tall, jagged egg shaped rock that hit square on the lower right tank :eek1
    I'm not sure why Casey is in my only pic of the sleeping giant? :ddog

[​IMG]

So I drug it around and hefted it back to its feet and suprisingly, no damage, just a couple of beauty marks

[​IMG]

This one is where it landed on my boot as I guess I don't have the range that I used to in the squatting long jump :lol3

[​IMG]

All in all it was a blast. I do think I will look for a cheap ass little 2 smoke for the winter rides though. And for the record, I made it further up the sand hill at the fossil ohv area on the 950 than I did on the DRZ. I'll find the video in the next week or so.