New Owners - Stupid Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by HighFive, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    it fits the older 800GS for sure yeah :eek:)
  2. Stevius

Stevius n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks! :D
  3. AMusedRider

AMusedRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My F800GS makes a weird clacking sound from underneath the instrument cluster area each time the front shock compresses while I ride. This is when I ride over some bumps or ditches in the road. It feels like some part hits another and makes the plastic'y clacking sound.

Is that expected?

Does anybody else hear this as well?
  4. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Search yielded this result....

http://advrider.com/forums/search.php?searchid=22502106

it's normal.
  5. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. buggsy458

buggsy458 Bad Lieutenant

Oddometer:
    I had to put my bike in storage a while back and disconnected the battery. When I went and reconnected it the service light was on. I have done a little research and it seems that this happens with BMW's and the rumor has it that you have to take the bike in to the dealer to get it reset. Does anyone know of a different way to reset it? Thanks!

paul
  7. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:

Well, you can either ignore it or buy a GS911 Tool. Google that. Every time you disconnect the battery the bike forgets what day it is.
  8. Rhinoclemmys

Rhinoclemmys AKA: 916MikeCA

Oddometer:
    Hi. My F650GS twin has about 18K miles and I am on my 3rd low beam bulb. If I remember correctly each one lasted about 5K miles. My high-beam just went out after 17K miles. Should I be worried that I have gone through that many bulbs? I don't remember going through so many in my previous bikes and definitely not in my cars. My bike is going to be out of warranty soon so am wondering if there is potentially an issue or if this is normal. Thanks
  9. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    Buy'em by the dozen. Yours seems more than normal to me but they do go through them. Depends on the quality of the bulb also. Don't go on a trip without spares. Rough roads also shorten the life.
  10. PA Slammer

PA Slammer I hate titles... Supporter

Oddometer:
    They have them at Wal Mart... even the far reaches of the earth have Wal Marts. :D. Easy to buy and change even if you don't know how to change and where to buy at 6am on a ride across the US. Ask me how J know...

PA Slammer
  11. Rhinoclemmys

Rhinoclemmys AKA: 916MikeCA

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. My main concern was that bulbs burning out every 5K miles could indicate a problem but it seem like this is normal. I'm pretty good at changing them and have learned to carry an extra. Thanks:D
  12. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    Go to the Auto Parts store and buy a replacement there.....purchase one of the top line options. Spend the extra money (they are still a good bit cheaper than BMW dealership) and pick a much brighter version too. I was amazed how much more light I got out of my stock headlight just from upgrading the bulbs. Think I spent $12 for it.

Comments on this Thread: WOW.....what a great Thread this turned into! Never imagined it would grow legs on its on and take off running like this. Glad it's been so helpful to so many. I want to thank everyone for their participation and help. Especially for staying on point and not harassing people who ask Stupid Questions. I've learned so much myself (here) on a much more accelerated timeline than usual. Carry on.....

HF :thumbup
  13. GoneAgain

GoneAgain Huh?

Oddometer:

dont think id call it normal..... but not necessaraly a problem...

ive gone thru 3 in 60,000kms.....

14. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    I may be an Engineer......
    I may be a Motorcycle Tech.......

But sometimes the simplest SH** confuses me.

[​IMG]

I try to act smart when I can. Thanks for the opportunity.
  15. buggsy458

buggsy458 Bad Lieutenant

Oddometer:
    Cool, thanks a lot!
  16. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would someone please kindly tell me what the stock suspension sag numbers are for a rider in the 185-200 lb range... I've dicked around with mine so many ways from Sunday that I haven't the foggiest clue what the baseline is and I'd like to return my angles to near stock with new components.
    Thank you!
  17. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
  18. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haha. Yes it's an 800 - makes a difference, no doubt.
    Thanks Reaver, but that's not quite what I'm after. I've gotten rid of the original suspension quite a while ago and I know the golden rule is 20-30% sag but was curious what the bike runs at with stock suspension, that's all. (Changes in ride height affect changes in the geometry as well). Wanted to get back to a stock baseline just with better suspension.

As an aside did I see you're in Pickle Lake? I was born in Dryden...
  19. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    Pickle Lake? Not me. No one goes there willingly. I see you've made a great move- Dryden to Penticton. Nice!

Oh so you've changed everything and forgoten where you started. I get it. Major mods. I thought you were a n00b owner with a stupid question. How silly of me. I know I read the specs in one of the many suspension threads but I can't offer any help with that. I'll shut up now. :D
  20. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:

Bumipity bump bump