Northern Territory ADV rider

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Mater, Aug 13, 2009.

1. TopEnd

TopEnd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have a good trip Kezza

If you can persuade the locals to give up the location of some good riding tracks for next dry, don't hold back.

Catch you up next week.
  2. Mater

Mater Love a ride, any ride

Oddometer:
    G'Day all, I know it's been a while since I've got on here, my appologise's I've had to do a couple of runs from Bris to Weipa and back over the last couple of weeks. Unfortunately it's been in the work truck not on my bike. Has certainly given me idea's on riding to the tip.
    Great to hear of great ride's in the area and looking forward to meeting you all next year.

Who is best in the Darwin area for parts and service for Kawasaki's? I will be living around Gunn but from what I've heard everything is close. Looks like I will have to change my rear tyre to someting with more grip for soft dirt and less suited to tar, (runing a D607 at the moment).

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Mater:clap
  3. TopEnd

TopEnd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Mater

Everything may not be all that close but we don't have traffic issues here, apart from the peak hour travelling in and out of the rural area. The rest of the time you're lucky to have more than two other vehicles waiting at a set of lights with you.

A new Kwaka dealer has just opened up in Darwin on Hickman Street in Winnellie. That's 15min ride from Gunn. I called in at lunch time today for the first time to have a look around. He seemed reasonably priced. Only small, but big things grow as we all know. A mate has just bought a 2010 KLR650 from them. Sounds like he got a reasonable deal.

When do you think you'll be in town ?
  4. Hi All

Back in Darwin after some time down south. Looks like time is getting tight with things for me, but I'm still heading over to Cairns on the Savannah Way.

Leaving November 10th in the afternoon (due work etc) then spending the night in Mataranka. Going to take it reasonably easy, hopefully, pending rain. Arrive in Cairns on Sat 14th/Sun 15th depending on how things go.

Travelling with a mate in a dual cab, so if anyone wants to come along - going via Mataranka - Roper Bar - Nathan River - Cape Craweford - Boroloola, to throw a jerry in the back with some fuel, should be all good.

Would be great to get a ride organised between now and then, just a day trip, to meet up and say G'day to everyone. Looks like something is being organised on the 14th though, which is after I've left.

Cheers

Damo
  5. Mowster

Mowster Stressed Member

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^
    Yes; "Holeshot Kawasaki" has been open only 5 weeks....i've already ordered some parts; best of luck to them.

I'm in for the trailer boat club next week, preferably wed. or later, as my mum is up for a few days, but no biggie, really.

And the ride to kakadu sounds great; I'M IN :freaky

( ...i take delivery of the K1300R tomoorow :evil )
  6. Actually, just had a brainwave. I know it might be difficult because it's mid week, but a potential tag aong route might be:

Darwin - Mataranka - Roper Bar - Nathan River - Cape Crawford (or Boroloola) (part our separate ways) - Daly Waters - Darwin for people that can't go the whole way.

It's 338km between Roper Bar and Cape Crawford, so would be good if anyone needs the opportunity to take fuel along to ride that route - just chuck the fuel in my mates dual cab.
  7. Mowster

Mowster Stressed Member

Oddometer:
    Maybe a cheeky one one the 31st/ 1st weekend??....just a half day job so stu "livit" can join in??

Watch this space :freaky
  8. Mowster

Mowster Stressed Member

Oddometer:
    Roper Bar to Borraloola is awesome riding, but the midweek thing is hard...

Great to see idea's flicking around

Would be great to check out some of LC8TY's stomping grounds, too.......
  9. livit

livit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all
    How does Thu 29 Oct sound to meet up at the Trailer boat club?
    Say 4.30 on, there is a restaurant for those who want to stay for tea.

Everyone is welcome, just look for the table with guys making motorbike noises. Sign in at the door and Bobs your uncle.
    There is a playground for the kids and a pool for a dip as well.
    Just remember to take your hat off in the bar, otherwise it may cost you a shout.
    I have some top end maps I will bring along to stimulate some thoughts.
    Can't wait to see the new ride Mowster.

See you there
    LIVIT
  10. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:
    Darwin Dynacycle, Stuart Park, and formerly Mitchell and Knuckey Streets were the Kwaka dealers when I lived there. What a shonky, no hoping outfit they were; their mechanic didn`t have a clue. They were later Ducati dealers as well; imagine the mess they made out of those engines.
  11. Mater

Mater Love a ride, any ride

Oddometer:
    G'Day TopEnd,

Family arrive around friday 7 Jan, I should get up with the car around the 10 Jan into house around 19 Jan. Start work either 20 or 27 Jan.

Really starting to look forward to the change, not nesseccaryly the weather.:D
  12. greenant NT

greenant NT n00b

Oddometer:
    Hopefully i can make the 14/15th deadline just waiting on some parts for the doctor (DR) i will try to catch up with all at the trailer boat club thurs..
  13. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    Thursday 4.30pm sound fine by me 'livit'. I'll see you there. I'll be the one coming through the door sideways...
    By the way, just got back from Kakadu and there's not bastard around so did'nt manage to catch up with locals as I had hoped. Not to worry, we don't need them anyway.
    Mowster, I'm in for a half dayer, full dayer what ever next weekend 31st/1st. Djukbinj NP just east of Adelaide River off Arnhem highway is a nice little jaunt-not too far away (1 hour road) then dirt road, 4WD tracks and Blacksoil floodplains. Might put some chux over the air cleaner and fit the roo bar. Heaps of wallabies out there and last time I went there nearly had 2 or 3 run into me. Have some helmet cam footage of one that leapt over and completely cleared the rear of my missus bike when she was riding in front of me. Shit myself.
  14. podge NT

podge NT Podge NT

Oddometer:
    Sounds good see you there I hope unless work steps in
    Podge NT:evil
  15. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    Hi all,
    We had our meeting last night at the trailer boat club attended by a few. A couple of quiet ones and chat about upcoming ride to West Alligator heads as well as an ogle over mowtser's new Beemer - Nice bike !. We have agreed on the weekend of 14/15 November and plan to get away fairly early-probably 8-9 am departure. We have all day to get there and are camping overnite. Register your interest here on this thread so we can get an idea of numbers- all welcome on suitable bikes (Dual-purpose, Road registered) At this stage there will be my partner Helen taking our Hilux with Catering gear (enough plates, knives forks and cooking gear etc for everyone) Camping gear, eskies, Spare fuel, tools and anything else that riders want us to carry. The best shot would be to meet at Coolalinga say at 7.00 am so everyone can get their food (2 lunches, 1 dinner, 1 breaky) and drinks to pack into the vehicle. If there is anything large like swags, we may need to pick these up prior or have them dropped off to my place-let me know if this is the case. There may also be a second vehicle involved if Stu's wife Sue decides to come along in a second Hilux.
    Hopefully the weather will hold out or those balck soil floodplains are going to be interesting. If the weather does turn to poo then the ride to West All. will be called off and alternative such as Litchfield can be made as an overnighter.
    Give us your thoughts and feedback on the above as we have a couple of weeks to finalise plans and are open to suggestions.
    Cheers kezzajohnson :Dhttp://www.territoryon2wheels.com.au
  16. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Just been in touch with Ros from Kakadu NP HQ-regarding ride to Pococks Beach West All - read following

to : KakaduNationalPark [KakaduNationalPark@environment.gov.au]<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Thanks Ros,<o:p></o:p>
    Myself and a bunch of mates are planning a ride (motorcycles) to West Alligator Heads (Weather permitting) on 14/15 November 2009.<o:p></o:p>
    Are there any issues regarding permits, access or conditions that you know of- They are all road registered dual purpose bikes with licenced riders and support vehicle. <o:p></o:p>
    Cheers Kerry Johnson

Reply:<o:p> </o:p>
    Hi Kerry<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    West Alligator Head generally closes early in November or as soon as the first storms arrive. The road is pretty corrugated but it sounds like you are all experienced. You do not require a permit.<o:p></o:p>
    Keep checking the Road Report or give me a call any time.<o:p></o:p>
    Cheers<o:p></o:p>
    Ros<o:p></o:p>
  17. TopEnd

TopEnd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kezza

All sounds great. I'm in. I've got a large 110litre esky that hold ice for quite a while if you need one and other asorted camping gear. Sounds like you've probably got all the gear but let me know if you are missing anything, I might have it. I've also got a roo jack and air jack if the vehicles need them.

Cheers
  18. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    No worries Mark-Esky is under control and I may even borrow a Waeco from the Depot. I don't have an air jack or roo jack though. maybe consider. Stu floated idea of hiring epirb I think $22.00 for weekend or I can get a satellite phone from work. What do you think ? At the moment, me, you, livit, mowster and PodgeNT coming and hopefully we can get a couple more.
    Talk soon
  19. podge NT

podge NT Podge NT

Oddometer:
    Dont worry about borrowing a sat phone as I have one and will be taking it Podge NT:evil
  20. Mowster

Mowster Stressed Member

Oddometer:
    Mmmmm, better get some fresh knobby tyres then.......:thumb