One World. One R 1200 GS. My "AWESOME" journey thru the US of A!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by ShawnWorks, Feb 25, 2013.

1. ShawnWorks

ShawnWorks Rock on!!!

Oddometer:
    Prunedale, and to a lesser extent, Santa Cruz CA
    Hey Fellow Adventurers,

So, after returning fresh off the BMW R 1200GS Press Launch in South Africa (Quite possibly one of the coolest things I’ve ever done… You can read about it Here), I have found myself at home, returning to the life of a typical Adventure Riding enthusiast… You know, scuffing skid plates and fixing flats and whatnot. After all, I had done what I was asked to do: Ride the new liquid-cooled BMW R 1200 GS, write about the bike, and in general just share the love experienced at the Launch. Good stuff.

So it came as a bit of a surprise when ANOTHER call from BMW came in to discuss ANOTHER event… The One World, One R 1200 GS Tour.

Of course, I knew a thing or two about this tour. Late last year, BMW had held a contest to put 5 lucky riders on a new, 2013 Water-Cooled R 1200 GS… Each contestant would get to ride the bike through one of 5 parts of the world: Asia, New Zealand, Africa, the USA, and Europe. After each leg of the tour, the R 1200 GS would be shipped to the next leg, where another winner would be put aboard and led through the host country. The whole event would be photographed, videoed, and written up for the world to enjoy (You can read more about the tour Here. Nice!).

Like many aspiring adventurers, I entered the contest; but wasn’t chosen to ride. No worries, I didn’t really expect to be. There are so many awesome candidates out there, after all. And with the trip to South Africa in my pocket, I felt I had more than my share of good times at the behest of BMW Motorrad.

But BMW had other plans.

“We want your assistance in choosing a route for the US leg of our tour. And, if you’re available, we would like you to join the tour on one of our new 2013 R 1200 GS’s… Basically as a guide and ambassador to the GS and your country. What do you think?”​
    Whoa. Dude.

“Hmmm. So let me get this straight… You want me to help plan a tour, then ride around on a new R 1200 GS with one of your contest winners?"

“Yes.”

“For how long?”

“About a week.”

“…”

“…Hello?”​
    And so, my next adventure on the new GS is about to begin… On Wednesday, March 6th, I will join a small contingent of riders and media folks, beginning our trek from Southern California on a multi-day tour through parts of the Good ol’ USA..! Sweeeeeeeeeeeet!

And like before, I want to write about the experience and share it with my adventure brethren… So stay tuned as the adventure unfolds… Rock on!
  2. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    Super! Enjoy!:D
  3. khale

khale ride dirty

Oddometer:
    Lucky SOB. Me thinks they like your enthusiasm about this bike from your S.A. posts and marketing/sales is watching in on this adv thread.
  4. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    You've hit the jackpot twice... if good things come in threes, buy a PowerBall ticket!! :lol3 Looking forward to your updates :lurk
  5. Rainman901

Rainman901 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, so I am as jealous as the rest of us. AND subscribed.
  6. NLS

NLS My bike needs washing...

Oddometer:
    Luck has nothing to do about it.
    You ride good, you write good, you were in S.A., how wouldn't they have you in the US leg of One World?

Seems like your relationship with BMW can be leveraged by all this, for the future. Make sure to make the most of it. ;)

Now about the event.

- Still haven't seen proper night shots of the bike, or actually of the illuminated road in front of the bike (LED more importantly). Make sure to comment on it.

- Drink its blood out to check about the head-shaking-to-tank-slapping alleged issue.

- US also has nice highways. Maybe, someone could find out real (GPS better) V-Max when nobody is looking? Heard reports of 135MPH (which sucks as is the same with current) and 140MPH (which is a bit better but would love more, at least 145MPH). Also, current GS is pretty accurate and pretty close to GPS speed (with less than 5MPH at difference at top speed), if you get a chance check this (arguably minor) thing too. It is like 5 secs + 5 secs of your riding after all (check in two different speeds).

- Check what tires you are using. I know these are things you don't normally notice (you just ride with whatever is on). Maybe minor, but pointing this out because all tires new GS is using from 2-3 brands are all new models. Someone told me good words about Tourance Next and bad words about Anakee 3 (both already out for "old" GS too). Someone else said good words about Anakee 3 too.

- Make sure this time you adjust the handle bar.

- Old GS hates jumps. It bottoms out pretty easily with strange sounds (unlike a KTM Adventure for example). This is not mentioned in any reviews about new GS. Also the guy that assisted in the first One World legs (also writes in this forum, Baluchon, you may want to contact him), already has a photo of a quite nice jump on the new bike. Can you... check yourself? :)

- You said the SAME two bikes do the WHOLE One World series??? Now that is nice! If it is the case, make a notice of the odometers. I am curious.

- Since you are looking make sure to note the consumption during your trip. Although that the trip is mostly a marketing thing of "ok let's pass this again to take the photos", it is still a good mixed-road indication.

OK this is pretty much it from the top of my head.

:deal
  7. paulW

paulW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That will keep him busy :lol3
  8. NLS

Oddometer:
    I was going to request for a separate GoPro Hero, with appropriate hardware to stream directly to my server the whole trip for my convenience, but then decided against it.
    :rofl

(it would be awkward to switch it off every time he wants to pee)
  9. ShawnWorks

ShawnWorks Rock on!!!

Oddometer:
    Prunedale, and to a lesser extent, Santa Cruz CA
    Hahaha! Thanks for the input, my friend... Good ideas indeed... I am taking notes and will look forward to additional ideas from out there ins ADVRider land...
  10. Montauk

Montauk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WTF. You lucky SOB. Subscribed.

Next time I meet you, I'll give YOU the money to buy ME ticket for Mega Million. Maybe I might just get lucky too! :D
  11. Mcgee

Mcgee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great promotion for BMW, I think it great! Looking forward to your views of this bike, again. Most of all, HAVE FUN!!
  12. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think a Baja trip would be in order to really test the Gelande part of that GS. :evil Think you can borrow a second bike? :wink:
  13. HackyMoto

HackyMoto TEAM USA GS TROPHY 2012

Oddometer:
    Right on Dude:super
  14. NLS

Oddometer:
    So, when is it going to be?
  15. AdvStrider

AdvStrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are one of the luckiest guys on this forum. HAVE FUN!:freaky:D
  16. bigboyxl

bigboyxl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    congratulations! :clap
  17. snakepilot

snakepilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to your reports. As NLS says ... You write good! :clap
  18. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
  19. nonamehorse

nonamehorse Concrete Jungle

Oddometer:
    Congrats! Subscribed!
  20. grahamspc

grahamspc Smitty

Oddometer:
    Yeah...looking forward to reports..subscribed.