KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. KamikazeKLR

KamikazeKLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok. so blow into the little drain nipple on the BOTTOM of the float bowl or pull the drain screw right out and blow into the screw hole?
  2. 8lives

8lives WTF, in Cannabis we trust.

Oddometer:
    Oh sorry,you blow on the fuel line that was hooked to the tank,and hope that by taking out the bowl drain screw whatever the problem was is cleared,taking the bowl screw allow a place for pressure to go as you blow into the fuel line.Im not good at writing as you may have noticed,need to go find my wife and see if she will do this for me also,the bike is running good just me Im out of sorts!
  3. astrolump

astrolump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    maybe its another ant....
  4. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    That'll help if your problem is caused by crud in the float valve (controls flow of fuel from the tank to the float bowl). Won't do anything if you've got crud anywhere else in the carb.

KKlr, I second the pilot jet. It's got TINY TINY holes (like so small you need to hold the jet up to the sun to see through them) and they all have to be clean.
  5. 8lives

Oddometer:
    Just a roadside kinda oh what am I gonna do repair,if your home by all means do it the right way,tools etc
  6. KamikazeKLR

Oddometer:
    I see.
    Ok well I'll get her fired up again tonight, see if it's doing the same thing, THEN if it's being ridiculous still I'll pull the carb. How's that.
  7. KamikazeKLR

Oddometer:
    Got another question!

I have a nice Tourmaster Transition 2 jacket and I'm not sure where to put it when we stop on our trip. Like if you're sightseeing, you don't wanna be sweating in this huge thing, but you also don't just want to leave it on the bike and walk away (sad, I know, but I don't trust people to not steal it).

Any suggestions? Anybody figure out a system for that?
  8. astrolump

astrolump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i carry a cheap bicycle combination cable lock.
    run it through the sleeve of the jacket and the chinbar of your helmet and to the luggage rack...when not in use it coils up out of the way on the grab handle.
  9. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    What he ^ said.

Or in your fancy lockable panniers!
  10. FAW3

FAW3 Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Seriously...this is the best insurance for many issues relating to "poor running". Most cost about $3-4 and it's just snip and insert in fuel line and your done. Cleaning your carb...and not having one is just a waste of time IMO.
  11. 8lives

Oddometer:
    Me too!no panniers here just cables and lock
  12. rodmuzwa

rodmuzwa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone worked out an easy way to get on and off the KLR? It's a really tall b*st*rd and I come close to injuring myself every time I get on and off it. It's worse with the luggage on. Still love the bike though even if my mount/dismount techniques get very strange looks from passers by! Oh, I am 180 cms tall so not really a short arse either!
  13. Asatrur

Asatrur KLR adv rider

Oddometer:
    I use the left foot peg like a stirrup on a horse and I am not a tall bastard being 5'8
  14. rodmuzwa

Oddometer:
    That's a great idea. I'll give that a go. How do you get off it? I often kind of fall off with my right leg still stuck on the seat. I then grab my right leg with both hands, pull it over the saddle and try not to let the momentum make me fall on my arse! Not very elegant, I must admit and quite amusing to onlookers!
  15. Asatrur

Asatrur KLR adv rider

Oddometer:
    The reverse.
  16. rodmuzwa

Oddometer:
    For some reason I think I will end up with me on the ground and the bike on top of me if I do that. I'll give it a go though today. I will make sure someone else is around with a camera so if the bike falls on top of me the advrider community can laugh at me too!
  17. KamikazeKLR

Oddometer:
    I would really not recommend steping on the footpeg. You're putting alot of faith in the sidestand when you do that. I'm 5'2". the bike is taller than I am.

Getting on: Instead of swinging your leg over the seat, face the bike, put your foot on the seat and slide it over to the other side. When you're almost there, giv'er a little jerk with your body and the bike will come upright. I sometimes have to bash my body sideways a couple times cause I'm not heavy enough to tilt the bike.

Getting off: Instead of getting your foot with both hands and creating a bad scenario, face the bike as you're coming off. basically hop backwards with your left foot and slide the right one up and over the seat. This will keep your foot from getting caught on luggage and you dont need to grab your foot with your hands so it's safer. still looks funny though.

Like I said. I'm 5'2". If I can do it, you can do it.
    If you need a video I can make one.

Edit: Here you go. Found a pic. This is how tall I am compared to Big Red.

[​IMG]
  18. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I often face the rear and pull my right leg back and give a mighty swing forward, up, and around to get my leg around the luggage and over the seat.

Other times I step up on the left footpeg and fold my right leg up to put my knee then foot over. You can use the step and handlebars to pull and torque yourself up or you can step up pretty gently if you think about keeping the bike balanced as you get up and seated.

I'm not sure either is safer or more dangerous than the other.

For dismounting I almost always put my right foot on the ground and swing my left leg over the back. I do this even when the top case is there; I just have to fold my leg more as I swing it over. My top case is pretty close; -- there's not room for 2-up with real-size people.

174 or 175 cm -- 5'8.5" or 5'9" (I'm shrinking already.)
  19. michaelcycle

michaelcycle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been using the footpeg for mounting and dismounting for many, many years on different bikes and never had a problem. I always hold the brake on while doing this however.

Take care, Mike
  20. SkiBumBrian

SkiBumBrian DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer:
    My buddy gets on his XRL from the right side. Stands on the peg with his right foot keeping the bike balanced and swings his left over.. Looks awkward to me but it works for him and he is an experienced rider.