KTM 1190 first impression's

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by smitty141, Dec 4, 2013.

1. PatSmith

PatSmith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love it.
    Hilarious
  2. llamapacker

llamapacker Mr. Conservative

Oddometer:
    I would be interested in your ride report to compare the one you test rode to the one you collected with US map.
  3. CHRIS_D

CHRIS_D Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Richard,

Here's pic when I finally got home today. I installed the luggage rack and had the dealer install KTM's Power Sports skid plate. I will say KTM went above and beyond with the build quality of this heavy duty 6mm aluminum skid plate. As for the bike performance, I'm really happy with her. Only negative is that I almost busted my ass with those slick ass tires when messing around in the yard.:lol3

[​IMG]
  4. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:

For me it looks like an average test demo ride :D
  5. smitty141

smitty141 Only Pussy's die of natural causes.

Oddometer:

WOW, Chris... that looks very nice. The one I seen was a standard, and since I am color blind I am not sure what color it was. Red maybe, just not sure. I just may have to find me a "R" to test ride.

Chris, you have a PM headed your way..

Smitty
  6. veesquared

veesquared Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exactly why I never buy demo bikes.
  7. Kiwi Adventure Rider

Kiwi Adventure Rider ADV RIDING GNOME

Oddometer:
    Great looking bike, and even better now I have one in the shed replacing the Tenere!!
    Anyone else noticed the tail-light flashes, once only, 60 seconds after you shut it down? Presume it some diagnostic function...but for what? Anyone know??
  8. RichardU

RichardU Let's Ride

Oddometer:
    I had that same experience on my Tiger 800. Heidenau K60 in the back and TKC80 on the front fixed that.
  9. Espada

Espada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The only way I'd ever buy a demo vehicle again is if the dealer paid me handsomely to take it off their hands. My first car out of college was a demo, and I learned a hard lesson for following my heart, and not my head.
  10. PatSmith

Oddometer:
    Luckily for me, my dealers demo bike has low mileage. He and I put most of the mileage on it, so I have a feel for the bike already.

11. pandamanprod

pandamanprod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So strange, I thought the new 1190's were super Ugly, when i first saw pics online, but I went to the KTM booth at the Long Beach Moto show a few weekends back, and just fell in love with it in person. Touratech had a tricked out 1190 Right next to a tricked out 1200gs and I found myself oggling the KTM all day. It's seemingly far more balanced than the 1200GS as well for any low speed maneuvers. While the New Ktm adventure was great. It was unfortunate to discover just how cramped the new 1290 Superduke was.
  12. FYYFF

FYYFF Forever young...

Oddometer:
    I was at the demo ride (at Temecula, CA) on both days 12-13 December.
    Here is my 2 cents:
    I rode the R model on Thursday. First thing I can say is seating position is alot like Ducati Multistrada and it is FAST. 150 ponies makes a huge difference on open road. Whenever I look down to speedometer, it was well over 80. Couple times well over 100. At one point I thought it was in kph not mph.
    Second, brakes are AMAZING. I never rode an other bike like this. Once you know what to expect from the brakes, it fells like you can never crash with this bike. It gives you a huge amount of confidence. Even breaking in the corners is not a problem anymore. I don't like riding on pavement but this bike changed my mind.
    It is a bit heavier than my 990 but amazingly it feels much lighter. I didn't people who were telling this before but I experienced the same. It feels much lighter than 990.
    KTM basically created 2 new bikes, R and standard. Difference is much more than just the electronic suspension and wheel size. More time I spent around the bikes, more little things I found out. Even the length of the handlebars are different.
    Anyways, after riding R for almost an hour (first group got to ride it longer) I got the impression that it is not an off road bike. It is an amazing street bike, fast, powerful, great brakes, MTC keeps you on the bike no matter what you do (almost), but seating position, pegs, handlebar did not give me the feeling of an off-road bike (of course comparing to my 990).
    All these thoughts changed on the next day, when I rode regular version with 19/17 tires and full electronics. Now that was a real beast comparing to R model and after riding it, R model felt a lot more like an adventure bike.
    I rode R once again after trying the standard and I liked it more this time. So my recommendation is try them both and decide what you like/need. They are not like 990 & 990R. They are 2 different bikes.
    As I said earlier, I think they are 2 completely different bikes. Standard version has amazing electronic features to make your ride as safe and comfy as possible. Seating position is lower and more street ride oriented. Handlebar is narrower. I am 6' and rode it with Shoei Hornet DS helmet with goggles and I got a lot of buffering where on R model with the windshield completely lowered, it was quite nice. All fresh air, no buffering at all.
    KTM rep was telling me that R model is actually has the same ground clearance as my 990 (2010 990Adv). And standard model significantly lower than the R. :(
    Sad part for me is that first couple things that everyone says about this bike is how fast it is. But this is an Adventure bike, speed shouldn't be the first thing to mention IMHO.
    Bottom line, 2 different bikes; one is a completely amazing street bike, other one a street bike that "may" have a future in Adventure riding...
    Just don't buy one before trying them both. I need to try it off road before anything else. Hopefully soon...
  13. Joseph42s

Joseph42s Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you guys know when the next demo ride is in cali? I didn't know about the one on the 11/12. I would love to try one these bikes out.
  14. FYYFF

FYYFF Forever young...

Oddometer:
    Randy (KTM rep) told me that they were going to Arizona next. So I dont know when they'll be back in CA again. I couldn't find any info on their website as well.

EDIT: Talked to Randy, he say there is no more official KTM factory demo rides in CA.
  15. CHRIS_D

CHRIS_D Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good point.. I didn't catch the fact the handlebars are different. And you are right it's a very fast bike. :eek1 I have rode some dirt roads, but still a little leary to get her off road. I hate to remove a perfectly good set of street tires and end up scratching up that nice new paint job. :cry Plus since these are tubeless tires I don't have a clue on which tire to use for more dirt type riding. Anyone have suggestions??:ear
  16. PatSmith

Oddometer:
    I prefer the Heideneau front and back. Some guys mix and match that tire on rear and a TKC on the front. I have not tried that combo. I have been led to believe that it is better to run the same brand front and rear as the tire will have the same characteristic. It might just be a marketing thing on their part. I will remove my street tires soon after she shows and save my for a planned summer street bike ride with other guys that do not have off road bikes. I might try a mix and match at some point but not for my first tire change.
  17. PatSmith

Oddometer:
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    I have found that different bikes have different characteristics and that what was once my “go to tire” now does not work. This might be an experiment. I have some friends with 990’s and while the bike is different from the 990, I will ask them what they use. <o:p></o:p>
  18. CHRIS_D

CHRIS_D Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Pat!

I use to run mostly D606s on the 990. They didn't last too long, but they weren't overly pricey either. I also use to run the 908s, but they became very expensive.

I have to look into the Heideneau tires for 1190.
  19. youngblood

youngblood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I too went to D606s on my 990S after I found the 908s were too pricey. Never looked back.

Just ordered a K60 for the rear and TKC for the front of my 1190R. I'm hoping we have more choice very soon.

Has anyone talked with Dunlop about a tubeless version of the 606s?

20. chief_lee_visceral

chief_lee_visceral Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I doubt seriously you will see a 606 in 150 17 or 18. The will make a 140 much less a 150. It is my favorite dual sport tire too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk