OK, It's Official- I HATE BASECAMP!

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by AdvRonski, Sep 27, 2012.

1. tdvt

tdvt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hear you BUT.... I'm as interested as recording where I end up, maybe even more than planning where I go ahead of time.

There is all kinds of stuff around here not on a map & sometimes you wonder if you could find it again.
  2. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Thanks! :thumb

If my mounts EVER come, :ddog I will try this. :lol3
  3. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:
    I understand what you are saying.

Here's what I like about the GPS. If I want to get to a specific destination, but also want to take some way out 2 laners, and mix it in with some gravel/dirt I can do it with the GPS and still get to my specific destination without constantly stopping to check the map. I'll know my distance to destination so I can better plan my day.

I've tried 350-400 mile days using only maps. When needing to get to a specific destination while also trying to ride as much gravel and far out 2 lane roads that I can, it sucks IMHO. Either had to make a roll chart, or stop at every other intersection to figure out where I am and where I'm going. Since most of the way out 2 laners and dirt roads don't show up on those fold up gas station maps, I was constantly pulling the Gazeteer out of the top box and figuring out where I was.

That said I still carry maps, and still wander off my pre planned routes.

Plus, there are plenty of times I just GO and simply leave the GPS running without any route planned. It's nice to be able to see where I've been if I ever want to re-run those roads that I stumbled upon.

YMMV...
  4. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. BKMLWR

BKMLWR Wondering around...

Oddometer:
    after leading a group of 11 riders thru over 100 miles of logging roads...I was thanked by a rider who said it was great to not spend half the day going down deadend roads...
    I thanked Mr GPS....
  6. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    Isn't Basecamp supposed to recognize the map sets that are installed
    in your gps ?
    I've just downloaded South America NT to my nuvi 550 and the maps are
    there.
    When I connect to Basecamp to build a route in Chile, there is no
    S.A. NT in the drop down menue. All my other map sets are there.

Max
  7. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some yes, some No. There's some software that can change that. I'll see if I can find the post with the link or maybe someone else will post the how-to.
  8. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    So, my 650T has the 100k topo map set on it, installed at the factory, right? Anyone know if there is a way to get that map set visible in BaseCamp when the Montana is not connected to the PC? It would make for an easy way to compare the differences in all the map sets I have if they were all present on the PC.
  9. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    just to chime in with the original post, i'm a basecamp hater too. tried to use it a few times and gave up. mapsource still isn't brilliant but much easier to use, i've just kept the original download files as one day they'll probably only have basecamp available from their website.

i think the issue is that like bill gates in the earlier microsoft days, garmin has a pile of developers bordering on aspergers syndrome, high functioning autism, and acute geekism. they need a steve jobs clone in charge who will just send them back to the drawing board each time a normal person off the street can't figure out how to use the software (or the gps unit!) in less than one minute. :lol3
  10. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    JaVaWa is the software which is the best way to enable map visibility in BC. There's a post in the Wisdom thread in my Sig which describes how to do it.
  11. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    just installed JaVaWa ... thanks
  12. wayne_l

wayne_l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    can someone tell me how to keep it from keep taking its own perfered routes when you transfer from pc to garmin ?

ill have way points checked out and routes highlighted but once its transfered keeps taking me to shorter route any way .. the other problem, is when in base camp ill select a road to next way point it picks a different route thats not even close to what i picked or could be seen from my end till i double click my selected route ...still does what it wants anyway ..

when i think i finally got it licked and tranfer over my way points to my garmin it went and still chose shortest route but with my title as my perfered route ..

im so ticked spent 5 hrs tonight and got nowhere ..
  13. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Look at your preferences and avoidances on the GPS unit and make sure they are what you want.

Another way around the problem is to just put in a lot more via points when creating the route to force it to go exactly where you want it to go.

And finally my preferred solution is to convert the route to a track and then download and follow the track. But you don't get turn-by-turn instructions this way.