New Gaerne G-Midland Adventure Boot

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Brtp4, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    ...mine were a little 'iffy' in the toe box as well. I were thin moto socks and replaced the insole with a half insole and that did the trick. Still very comfy and like I said, I hiked all over New Mexico in then brand new.
    I wear a 43 Sidi and bought the 43 Gaerne.
  2. klingklang

klingklang Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    actualy have 2004 oxtar infinity at the end of their life... How the g-midland compare to it. Is somebody had the chance to try both....sizing, confort... etc...
  3. BillMoore

BillMoore Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ordered a pair of these yesterday from Brian at Atomic-Moto, and wow these are some seriously nice boots! Most of my shoes are 42 Euro, so Brian recommended a 43. The fit is spot-on. This is my first pair of real motorcycle boots, previously I was wearing combat boots, and when I first put them on they felt a little awkward, but I walked around in them a few minutes, went out and sat on my bike and tried shifting and braking with them, and after just a few minutes in them, I feel very comfortable in them. Wearing them as I type this! Brian at Atomic-Moto was awesome to deal with. Very helpful, spent quite a bit of time educating me on my options. Shipping was amazingly fast, less than 24 hours from order placement to delivery. Happy customer here!
  4. Kingsized

Kingsized Kingsized Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just found this thread. I bought a pair of Gaerne Midland boots back in May. At first I could only wear them for a few hours a day. I had problems in the toe box but after a few months they have broken in nicely. Now I can put it 12 hours without problems.

On a side note, I can attest to how waterproof these are. Last weekend I stood in 12 inches of water for twenty minutes. Dry as a bone when I got back home. With that comes the trade in summer because they are warm and my feet can sweat when it's really hot. All in all, I love these boots. Comfortable to walk in, good weather coverage and flexible on the bike.
  5. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    I need a new pair of boots and like what I've read about these. I had been considering the oiled boots originally.

I have some concerns regarding new boots.

First I'm a diabetic. As such I really worry about getting a proper fit in boots to alleviate the possibility of pressure sores and blisters on my feet and toes. My Euro size is 43 but I require a big toe box.

Secondly, I have large calves so I am wondering about the how adjustable these boots are in that area.
  6. Kingsized

Oddometer:
    I can help with that part. I have large calves too. They are a millimeter over a 21" and the Velcro when closed is attached about 3/4 of the way. There is a 4" wide section of Velcro and I have one inch unused. I'd guess a 22.5" calf would leave a 1.5" Velcro attachment which is the minimum I'd want.
  7. InTheMuck

InTheMuck So it goes...

Oddometer:
    Amongst the has beens & the addicts (Milwaukee)
    I really like the look and specs of the Midlands, but I didn't want to spend that kind of money for my first pair of boots and had lots of other "needs" to spend money on. So I talked to Brian at Atomic also (very helpful guy!) and ended up ordering the Alpinestars Scouts. I'm sure they aren't as protective, but I have been very happy with them. They are extremely comfortable and are known to have one of the larger calf sizes for this type of boot. Almost too big for me, but the velcro cinches down just enough. Waterproofing has held up well and yet I didn't get too hot in 90 degree temps.
  8. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    Thanks Muck...I appreciate it.
  9. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    Ok, so these boots will my calves. I've read in this thread that the toe box is a bit small some say it is ok. So which is it?

I have wide feet too, will these boots suffice?
  10. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    They do not run narrow. They do run slightly smaller than other Gaernes,.....if you do not size correctly I can see how it could be perceived as a width issue.

That said, they are not as wide as the Gaerne Balance Oiled or Forma Adventures (the two widest boots we sell). However, those two boots may not fit you calf circumference. Between the two, the Formas have a bigger calf.

The Alpinestars Scouts also fit large calves well, but they run slightly narrow.

I think the Midlands are a good choice construction-wise, and for your calf width. I can probably get a better handle on fitment if we have a short conversation. If you want to pursue this, PM me your phone and I will contact you.

Thanks,

BP
  11. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    Thanks BP I'll be ordering a pair as soon as the money fairy gets here.

These look like a great pair of boots!

Charlie
  12. ledude03

ledude03 n00b

Oddometer:
    looking at these boots for touring purposes not duel sporting, whats the shifting like in them and also the waterproofness.
    i take a size 42 and have 18 inch calves and seem to struggle to find a good fit in the calf area anyone had any problems in this area with this boot, as no one stocks these in the uk i will be buying blind so to speak and any info would be a help.

many thanks Lee
  13. Kingsized

Oddometer:
    Are you reading this thread? I address calf fit and waterproofing twice on this page.
  14. ledude03

ledude03 n00b

Oddometer:
    yes i read the comments about calf size but didnt see any mention of what size the boot was that you were refering to,
    i would imagine that a size boot of say 46 would be bigger around the calf than say a 42, i was only trying to confirm for my size of boot, sorry iff this offended any one or if it seemed as though i had not read the post, and with reference to the waterproofness i should have made it clear that i sometimes spend up to 10 hrs a day in the rain and wondered how they would stand up to this sort of prolonged use. once again sorry for asking.
  15. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    No worries ledude, and kingsized thanks for the help with calf size.

On that: kingsized was 100% accurate, at 18" you will not have any problems with calf size, with any size. The way he described the construction is correct, the stretch panel allows a wide range of fit. They are the best boots I have found thus far for large calves.

AFA waterproof-ness, Gaerne's waterproof membrane and their assembly are excellent. We did a submersion test on these a while back, which is at least 30 minutes in standing water, and no leaks. They should be completely waterproof for you

That said, at EIGHT HOURS of rain, the boot shell will soak, which will draw body heat out of your feet, and may also make condensation inside the WP membrane. In other words, it is possible for your feet to become wet from this, WITHOUT the membrane leaking, No matter what boot you get, it is a really good idea to put seam sealer on seams and coat the shell with water repellant coating.

Hope that helps.

BP
  16. ledude03

ledude03 n00b

Oddometer:
    Many thanks for the clarification on calf size its what i was looking for and also on the waterproofness of the boot, this boot looks like it will fit the bill.
    thanks again Lee
  17. ledude03

ledude03 n00b

Oddometer:
    Purchased these boots at the begining of the week must say very nice boot well put together look good fit well, only downside is i was out today in the rain and to my disapointment they leak really badly right boot more so than left, so i have emailed the supplier to see what they say, may just be a faulty pair
  18. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers

Oddometer:
    I had the same issue twice with that brand.
  19. NWBoarder

NWBoarder Whitmeister

Oddometer:
    I thought I’d chime in again, after nearly a year in the G-Midland, and a few years in the Balance Oiled. I agree with Brian's input above, very knowledgeable guy!

I switch between the G-Midland and the Balance Oiled for ‘adventure’ and DS riding.

As stated they both use an “Aquatech” waterproof membrane, and have a lugged sole. They are both very comfortable for all day use and walking / hiking, the Balance being the most comfortable boot I have worn. Either one of these boots could be a “do it all” boot.

As stated, the G-Midland has more protection around the foot, ankle and heal, as a result the ‘G’ is slightly stiffer when new (not a bad thing). I found that the ‘G’ fits slightly tighter and I need to wear a thin sock. Even though the toe box is roomier (width) in the Balance, I found it is easier to get the boot under the shifter on my street bikes, as the toe section is slimmer (height) than the G-Midland. This is easily solved by adjusting the shifter height.

I really like the ‘goodyear welt’ style stitching around the sole, this is a must have boot feature for me. Among other things it helps when hiking up or across hills, because you can dig the boot into the dirt better. Check out a Tech 3 or Tech 7 or tech 10, they all have rounded / molded soles which don’t help at all when trying to climb a hill in the dirt. You will slip and fall on your ass when trying to pick up your bike on a hill.

Another important feature I found, since the Balance is designed as a Trials boot it has a more supportive mid sole (less flex over the foot peg) and the sole is flat, which I really like. This becomes apparent if you stand more than 50% of the time on the bike. I’m not sure if they both have a steel shank, but it sure feels like the Balance does.

Another nice thing is the straps on the SG10, SG12, Balance, and G-midland are interchangeable! I recently broke one on my Balance, and was able to replace it with a spare SG10 strap.

Whitney
  20. knobbyjoe

knobbyjoe Adventure and dirt rider

Oddometer:
    Great boot thread.

My question to the experienced Gaerne boot riders is about heat. I ride the desert west most of the time. My current boots get my feet hot in the summer. I know BP said to get boots not water proof but what say you?

Do you guys think the Gaerne Oiled or G-Midland boots are not a good choice for hot desert riding?
    Thanks KJ