Fuel reverse purge module

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Jim Colombotos, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Jim Colombotos

Jim Colombotos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. ciedema

ciedema мотоциклист

Oddometer:
  3. Dusty

Dusty Long timer

Oddometer:
    $280... get fukin real.

Change the filters every winter and be done... don't run it low on fuel repeatedly, and you'll be fine.
  4. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    Honestly, I am not sure how this system is supposed to help the situation.... As far as I am concerned, running the fuel tanks down to zero or until partial will have zero bearing on whether or not the pump picks up anything different from the fuel. Keep in mind that the pump intake is at one of the lowest points in the tanks AND on the 990 ADV it has a nice bowl to keep any heavies contained right there where the pump can suck them up, (can you say WATER?) :huh. So... it doesn't take long for a tank of bad fuel to do its number on the very small filters.

In summary: IMO, the "run the pump backwards" to "flush" (to where? back into the fuel? YEP) the filters is NOT a solution. Also, IMO, running the fuel volume to near zero or any other level for that matter will have zero effect upon whether or not the fuel system draws in bad fuel.
    DistortedAxis likes this.
  5. ciedema

ciedema мотоциклист

Oddometer:
    I do think they are especially for Aussie conditions - changing out an fuel filter in middle of the desert is a pain in butt and it is possible to be a long way from anywhere in Aussie.

Also at the cost of $120-$135 for a filter kit you don't have to save to many changes until it pays for itself. The Dalby Moto guys running this report a very extended life for filters after fitting this.
  6. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bikyto has that or something similiar on his. Seems to work well.
  7. bikyto

bikyto Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer:
    I have one that I've been testing for many thousands of miles (ask CJDesigns if interested).
    I'm super happy with it. Yes it back flushes whatever is in the fuel... Back in the tank but my fuel filters look like new (lightly stained). I am not worrying about clogging my filters in the middle of nowhere and it's paid for itself already.

Any questions, I'm happy to give my 2 cents.

Update: here is the one I have http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/efi-purge-modules/
  8. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    Experience outweighs opinion. So if it improves the duration between replacing filters, then that would mean that reversing the pump to back flush the filters into the fuel tank with in-tank fuel, I suppose this means it works as designed.
  9. ciedema

ciedema мотоциклист

Oddometer:
    Yep and frankly the Dalby Moto guys wouldn't bother if they didn't work. Out where they are if they sell stuff that is crap or a con-job the damage to their to reputation would shut down their business.
  10. stickysidedown

stickysidedown Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Solution looking for a problem?

I've done 50,000 miles on my 08 bike now including riding across Russia and around Mongolia, sure I took a spare filter with me but haven't needed to use it yet.

Creating a fear about what might happen
    Design and market a solution to the 'what if' fear
    Sell product
    Sit on a pile of cash and laugh at the suckers
  11. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is a common failure. Lots of instances of poor running machines that run great after replacement.
  12. Tom_C

Tom_C pinned underneath

Oddometer:
    Not a 9X0 owner yet, but I'm not sure I understand the benefit. Backflushing the filter, so all the debris that was caught in it goes back into the tank, only to be sucked into the filters again once it all settles back out? What am I missing? Have read a lot on clogged filters, but it seems that a backflush would only slightly delay the inevitable, as the crud is still there?
  13. ciedema

ciedema мотоциклист

Oddometer:
    And I had mine fail within 10000 miles using North American fuel.

Experience says otherwise.

I am heading home (Aussie) for a few months - I intend to pick up one while I am there.
  14. GazzaFish

GazzaFish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can i assume that if my filter blocks up that my bike will run poorly but still manage to get me home? If so, then i'd rather wait till it fails and do it then. It the problem causes me to be stranded with a bike that won;t run AT ALL. Then i'm more interested in preventing it... :ear
  15. stickysidedown

stickysidedown Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But using a completely irrelevant statistical group of our combine 60,000 miles that's still an average of 30,000 miles without incident and a filter kit is less than half the price of this module?

I wouldn't buy insurance against meteor strike because whilst a possibility its extremely unlikely, given a large proportion of failures get reported on this forum I wonder how many there actually are verses number of bikes that are out there.

I mean if it makes someone happy to have one, then I'm not going to hate on them for spending their money as they wish, but I don't imagine your example is typical unless you really have third world fuel in the States.

FWIW the respected independent BMW mech I used on one of my road bikes said not to even consider reverse flushing the fuel filter when my f800s played up, he said in his experience over any number of bikes with an issue just using a proprietary cleaner through a half dozen or so tanks did the trick, or the problem was something else.

In saying that he did himself out of paying work (but assured himself of my future business) and you know what he was right, the issue wasn't the filter!
  16. ciedema

ciedema мотоциклист

Oddometer:

The bike can go from running to not in under 600km (~450 miles) in the Australian outback that is not a whole lot of range. When I had it happen it was even less, the bike gave a little splutter and within 100miles I was stuck on the side of the road. I actually pulled the fuel the pump out on the side of the road, rinsed it and blew sound air (from my mouth) back through it and was going again. I was very surprised it fouled that quickly I would have expected at least 20,000 miles out it, but it was filthily. Interesting to hear your Russian experience, I found the fuel there cleanish (especially in the East) but it certainly smelt odd at times.

The guys running them in Aus do so to avoid failure in Middle of nowhere, people don't realise once away from a major centre you are more isolated in Aus than Mongolia. They are developed to avoid failure in really shitty places.

I can see the cost, but you only have to save two changes and you have paid for it. If you need to get them overnighted to somewhere (like I did) the cost equation becomes even less.

All that said I can see why people wouldn't want to pay for one. For me when I hit Africa later in the year, I will be happy to have one fitted.
  17. skidxr

skidxr Excuses

Oddometer:
    Can you remove the filter at the pump and run an inline filter instead?
  18. azcagiva

azcagiva new orange flavor

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried one of the splitstream fuel tank sock filter that fits in the filler opening. I did not see one for the 9x0 but I imagine they would make one or one could be adapted to work.
    [​IMG]

-John
  19. bikyto

bikyto Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer:
    There are two filters. The "sock" which you can't remove without possibly compromising the fuel pump. The second is an integral part of the pressure regulator. One could remove that one and put it in line (I've seen it work on several bikes for many thousands of miles). I tried it as well and it worked. I think it affect the fuel pressure at the injectors which are sensitive already. I opted to try something different.

This is the model I have: http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/efi-purge-modules/

Obviously, I would prefer a kit solution for an external fuel pump. Some solutions might come in the future :deal:clap
  20. knobbyjoe

knobbyjoe Adventure and dirt rider

Oddometer:
    I have 15,000 on my KTM 990 Adv and no fuel problems, yet. I am wondering about the fuel filters do to all the posts here about failures. I must conclude that it could happen to me and could leave me somewhere. Still haven't got a handle on what is best. These are the choices

1. Carry a CJ designs fuel pump repair kit. Cost $150 http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/products/fuel-pump-kit-rebuild-990-adv-ktm/

2. Put on the purge kit? Cost $270 http://www.dalbymoto.com.au/index.p...ategory_id=15&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=27

Or CJ Designs one. Cost $250 http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/efi-purge-modules/

3. Do nothing until a problem occures? Cost $0 but...

4. Figure out the electronics and put in a manual switch to run the fuel pump in reverse. This is my favorite. Problem here is I am too chicken to mess with the pump. Would some knowledgeable person want to see if it is possible on paper? KJ