Illinois Back Road Trail

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by kimzx1000r, May 30, 2012.

1. rustynut2

rustynut2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tracked it also. He must be sitting by the ocean wishing he was back home to run the Illinois levys. Poor fella
  2. kimzx1000r

kimzx1000r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Mark, thanks! How do you turn them into tracks?
  3. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:

I was getting ready to tell you I forgot the program that does it------then remembered and did it--------took me 30 seconds to convert the file I posted to this one---that's a track.

It's called WinGDB3 version 3.63 I think it's free.

You just input the garmin .gdb route file----and select an output "track" file-------and bingo--------it does all kinds of conversions.

Most gps's won't load all 16 tracks---but a guy using garmins track tools----------could combine tracks----as long as he didn't make them too many points.
    My 276C will load a track up to 700 points----a 60CSX will load 500.

Another option I just figured out--------is to make a map image of all those tracks and load the map image into your gps--------this doesn't use any of the gps's track memory.
    I did this for my recent baja trip----------I made a map image of over 100 track logs I had for baja. I used a $20 program called gpx2image------man it is handy.
    I learned that from Dr. Rock on the Mobius 10 ride I did with him---he's a smart feller.
    He's got one of them smart ass gps's :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

Mark

Attached Files:

4. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Just watched you intro video again---really nice-----relaxing.
    Makes me want to get out my ratty old KLR and just putz around.

Great music,
    Mark
  5. kimzx1000r

Oddometer:
    Mark thanks for the info. I will have to play around with this. The guys I am riding with and myself all cannot load tracks. We can only load routes. I make them fairly easy to follow and I do not exceed 200 points because of our limited abilities. We have been getting by so far but somewhere along the way it would be nice to upgrade. We are doing Indiana this spring. A week of riding and camping and seeing another neighboring state. The route will cover close to 70 covered bridges, currently at 68 and trying to figure out how to get two more! :) Stay tuned....... for a ride report after Memorial day. Maybe you could put a song or two together for us and I'll put them in the next video. Can you play the banjo?
  6. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    For a route like yours-----I always actually make an auto-route out of it so you have very good navigation info on the screen of your gps. These usually can't be shared as people have different mapsets loaded in their gps's. If I ever ride it that's what I'll do.

No Banjo !!!!

Mark
  7. ADW

ADW 'tard bike restos

Oddometer:
    Very nice trip! Gonna add this to my spring to-ride list!
  8. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    West of the Illinois, heart of the state!
    Just did a quick review of your adventure. Nice! You crossed some of my day ride territory, just missing some interesting roads and sites. There is still a lot more to see in IL! I will attempt to attach one of my ruff loops. It is a base route; of which you can explore out and around. Spoon River, strip mines areas, down through Mason County.

Attached Files:

9. RedInTheShed

RedInTheShed Jart

Oddometer:
    I found the following website helpful: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com

I saved the files from the ride to my computer. Then went to the website. About halfway down there is a "Choose File" button. I clicked on that, found the file on my computer and then clicked "Go". At that point the file opened in Google Maps (can also be done in Google Earth).

:clap Very nice. :clap
    Hawk136439 likes this.
  10. kimzx1000r

Oddometer:
    :super

11. Smudge!

Smudge! Long timer

Oddometer:

NOW I know why you went so slow, SlowX (FRANK)!!
  12. kimzx1000r

Oddometer:
    Riding the levee section and found more rattlers. Only place I ever saw one in the wild.
  13. kimzx1000r

Oddometer:
    Doing this route in the spring and will try to fresh in the tracks. Hope I see rattlers again.