VENTURING SOUTH on DRZ's

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Romanousky, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Romanousky

Romanousky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the warning! Haven't gotten the braying yet but I did pick up some earplugs. Glad your finding time to check this out Don....there is only so much cheek pain a man can remove from this world:lol3
  2. Romanousky

Oddometer:
    I really appreciate the comment. It's nice to know that someone is watching over my shoulder.
  3. Romanousky

Oddometer:
    Just got some. It is surprisingly difficult to find. Everyone sells the fancy plastic ones for swimming....go figure.
  4. Romanousky

Oddometer:
    Time for another border crossing!! Roll out of the hotel on an empty stomach with high hopes of a painless border crossing for lunch in Leon, Nicaragua.

First thing you notice (or feel) is the last 20 miles of the CA-1 highway before exiting Honduras. It looks like a meteor shower recently pummeled the highway leaving large craters for unsuspecting motorcyclists. Oncoming traffic is bobbing & weaving all over while you are trying to overcome the big rigs blocking your view of said holes. Many spots have trees hanging over the highway leaving Paul Bunyan’s (if he were to golf) divot marks hidden from view. I just eenie meenie miny mo left or right and gas the throttle pulling up on the bars hoping for the best outcome. Try holding the camera with one hand taking photos AND dodging these things.....:huh

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Arriving at the border we got the usual money exchangers and also other folks that speak decent English that want to “help” you locate all the facilities and guide you through the process. I figure I can make an attempt on my own and then come back if I fail. Just about to pass immigration we are flagged down by another one of these guys on a moto. He takes me to the counter and I get my passport stamped out of Honduras. Then we walk to the other building and he gets my bike exported from Honduras with another stamp to the passport. All finished up he went to get Alex….didn’t even ask for any money. And for that I gave him a reasonable tip which he much appreciated.

[​IMG]

Alex had been waiting for me watching the bikes swarmed by children bagging for money. Al gave them some change so when we swapped positions they weren’t going anywhere. I don’t do handouts except for very rare occasions and these kids were well fed….no soup for you.

When Al got back to the bikes some women were pushing us to pay $12 for something that said Segura Central America Travel. Safe travel?? What the hell is this! “dude it’s importing your bike to Nicaragua on the Honduran side….I read about this somewhere”. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK. They took our money and after recording info from our DL’s and Title/Reg they gave us a receipt.

[​IMG]

Back on the road, across the border, we hit the fumigation zone. The fumigator originally waived us through to a booth just passed his operation. Thinking it was immigration we waited for a while confused as all get out and multiple people telling us to go to different building we had no idea what to do. Then out of nowhere some little kid off the street tells the fumigation guy that we need our bikes sprayed. Politely declined, then more adamant, then the fumigator got a bit testy with me and I gave in. It was obvious this was a line for the truck drivers only and we just stumbled into it on accident. $3 later we departed to immigration just up the road. $12 got my passport stamped relatively easily. We swap positions and I find more kids bagging for money. No comprendo…No comprendo…No comprendo….Silence (on my side). They on the other hand continued on until Al came out with a passport stamp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Onward….to the next checkpoint where it was explained to us that we still need to go to the customs office and import our bikes. At which time I now understand that I purchased Insurance…..not importation.

I am absolutely burning up inside with my gear on as we head back to the Aduana. Standing in line with 15 truckers I get light headed, heart racing, just about to black out. I drop to a knee and pull off my jacket and breathe while everyone stares. Regaining composure and a cooler internal temp I supply the necessary paperwork (Title/Reg, DL, Passport) and wait for 15 minutes while it is processed. Very lazy individual…didn’t even verify the VIN on the bike. Then I get to go outside, sit in the sun, and listen to the kids ask for money while Al does his thing. Total cost to get out of Honduras and into Nic was $27.

Only 2.5 hours total to exit Honduras and enter Nicaragua but it felt twice that and was by far the worst crossing to date.

The ride to Leon was nothing exciting, just very hot and got to stare at a volcano for the majority of the ride.

Signed up for a nice Hostel (Via Via) that I searched out the night before. $20 for private room/bath. Beers under $1 and great food. I asked the waiter to choose something good/local for me and she brought me a large bowl of fried chicken and French fries. Not exactly a refreshing first meal of the day after sweating a Liter of my fluids but it was damned good Pollo frita con papas.
    The heat took a toll on me today so I’m just absorbing some unsalted fluids and resting a bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Romanousky

Oddometer:
    I almost forgot the clip from D&D Brewery......only in the middle of Honduras!

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="640" height="480" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/2388326553_5pSJBW5?width=640&height=480&albumId=28228258&albumKey=PLzJVJ"></iframe>
  6. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    When confronted with obnioxious kids or cops, just use the Crashmaster's phrase "No Fumar Espaniol" that stops them dead
  7. Romanousky

Oddometer:
    Picked that one up before I even left for the trip. Been dying to use it ever since. Didn't think about using it on annoying adolescents. Thank you sir I now have a new target
  8. PDX Alamo

PDX Alamo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dont miss Granada and the volcanoe tours, keep living the dream my man
  9. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Youtube Harlem Shake and that video will probably start to make sense... or maybe not..
  10. Downhill Dave

Downhill Dave Busco aventura

Oddometer:
  11. GRinCR

GRinCR Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer:
    +1

Granada was the first time I really understood/felt "culture shock". Then I found Gringo St. and had the best everything burger in my short time between Nic, Pana or CR.

Everything Burger. Granada, Nicaragua.
    [​IMG]

:fpalm I should have used this yesterday.
  12. Romanousky

Oddometer:
    Got it guys! I had Wikipedia explain the history of this new age crap. I'm not much into following the latest and greatest...classic rock just doesn't get old:deal

[/QUOTE]
    (PS And great job representin' for the DRz'rs of the world.)
    ¡Vaya con donuts![/QUOTE]

Thanks. I figured there would be more questions do to the lack of long distance DRZ RR's. we seem to get more offroad the further south we travel so hopefully we can find some stuff to use the DRZ's full potential.
  13. Romanousky

Oddometer:
    You really need to give me these pointers a little more in advance :deal

I rode out of Leon and straight to San Juan del Sur. Completely missed Granada. Shipping the bikes to Ometepe tomorrow for a couple days. So you if you know of anything good in CR or Panama you better let me know now!

I would love pointers from anyone. I have no idea what I'm doing so feel free to map out this trip for me. :pynd
  14. Romanousky

Oddometer:
    Don't show me this crap after I've passed the location....Now your telling me I've got nothing to look forward to in the next two countries?? :dizave

Just kidding....see you in few days!:freaky
  15. GRinCR

GRinCR Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer:
    I have actually been told that if I liked Granada, I would really like Leon. :dunno What did you all think?

Enjoy la isla. It is in one of my buckets of places that need to be seen.
  16. Romanousky

Oddometer:
    Definitely enjoyed Leon. The city really wan't that appealing but the congregation of beautiful women is what really did it for me.....and very cheap booze!

We weren't there long so probably more to see but I think it is more or less just a place to party. Hopefully the island will be a little more secluded with some adventure.
  17. Romanousky

Oddometer:
    After a night of this:

[​IMG]

The michaladas changed color here. Now I have to figure out this recipe as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Woke up rather hung over. Grabbed the typical Nicaraguan fare of gallo pinto (brown rice with pinto beans) and added some eggs to make it a breakfast. I am really loving the prices in this country. I wish I was here longer to make up for some of the other areas.

Heading for San Juan del Sur out of Leon the road quickly turned to shit…which was perfect. For the most part is was 300 yards of concrete and then 100 yards of gravel/dirt/pot holes/etc…. It went on like this for probably 25 miles until we neared Managua at which point it became decent pavement again (reclaiming the CA-1).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Out of Managua the wind started blowing like crazy. I was watching Al in the mirror and he is tilted at about 15 degrees just to maintain equilibrium. The light bikes were literally getting blown all over the road. Then we got flagged down by the traffic police.

I strongly considered not stopping but they were just releasing a car and I was a bit curious how all this would work out. Just checked for license, import papers, & insurance and then let us go. The darker skinned man that “helped” me was rather rude and not a happy individual at all. Probably because I had my paperwork together so no steak dinner tonight for him. The lighter skinned guy that helped Alex was real nice, very interested in the motos, and posed for a picture. Then I busted a wheelie upon departure in front of them and the dark skinned guy glared while the other gave thumbs up with a big smile on his face. To each his own huh?

[​IMG]

We've seen one driver dump his load on the highway and with the height of this setup I thought I might get a photo that was priceless.....there is always tomorrow.

[​IMG]

The rest of the trip (80 miles or so) we were blown around on the road like rag dolls. Even passed a good number of wind towers. Pulled into San Jorge just to check the ferry schedules and get a feel for the area before returning later in the week. Unorganized shit show provided little information so we took off to San Juan del Sur.

We stayed at Rositas & Joxis on a tip from an uncle in law that I have never met. Nice little hostel just a block from the beach.

[​IMG]
  18. Romanousky

Oddometer:
    Really wanting to do some sport fishing we hit the town looking for information. Unfortunately due to the extreme winds all the warm water has been pushed out to sea and the fishing isn’t worth a damn. Maybe a booze cruise then?

Had some lunch and michaladas.

[​IMG]

Then Al picked up a bag of ice for his rum & cokes.

[​IMG]

I really really really want one of these things:

[​IMG]

I'm not going to get into why the states won't import small diesel pickups but I'm sick of it!

Alex did laundry while I went for some offroading north of town to the next few beaches. First I had to fix some where spots on my tank. The unibiker rad guards contact the tank in a few spots....I had some leather JB-welded to the tank but somewhere tore off along the way. I got some guatemalan 2-part epoxy and stuck on some pesos, quetzals, and one nicaraguan coin for wear protection. I really like that this epoxy comes with a stir stick and small surface for mixing.....JB should look into it.

[​IMG]

Pretty decent riding and some beautiful secluded beaches known for their mild tubes for beginner surfers.

[​IMG]

Along the side of the dirt road this guy was not getting a lot done.

[​IMG]

Cool bridge for foot traffic on the other side of town.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the way back I drove up the hill with the statue of Christ overlooking San Juan del Sur.

Took the wrong road and found a helipad next to a big house.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then went and did what I do best….two for one mojitos and dollar cervezas. Still not real hot on Nicaraguan cuisine.

[​IMG]
  19. PDX Alamo

PDX Alamo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I stayed at Joxis (are the hot gals from spain still there helping the dad) then we moved to the narco drug mansion on the beach and since the just bought it we got a deal. As far as food goes try the lil pescadero or the place behind the main church there. There is a cool waterfall to see on Isle de Ometeppe and i highly recommend to stay at .... Let me get back to you on that.
  20. nmtrialsguy

nmtrialsguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A a DRZ owner thinking about longer jaunts with it, I am encouraged by the travels of you two. Best of luck, and keep the posts coming--great stuff!:clap