Mounting your bike?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by dysert, Jul 4, 2013.

1. dysert

dysert Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do any of you mount your GS using the foot peg with side stand extended? Or Center stand extended?
  2. Willie B

Willie B Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I suppose it depends where the bike is. I often get on my bike when it's on the center stand and rock it forward. I always put my bike on the center stand when fueling, but generally put the side stand down when out riding.
  3. iride4u

iride4u Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use the side stand and the high side foot peg. While it seems unnatural at first it becomes much easier with a little practice. Do not try this with s soft suspension.
  4. MIXR

MIXR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So long as I end up on top of it and not underneath, I'm pretty happy!
    [​IMG]
  5. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    all the above plus 1 more variation
  6. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    All the time when the bike is loaded on the back seat. I have short legs. Good way to dismount as well.

Jim :brow

PS I am not a small person, no harm to the sidestand.
  7. DSTEVENS

DSTEVENS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am tall enough to step over to mount but I have found that with boxes mounted I usually bang my lower leg on edge and after a few times have a bruise so I mount it like mounting a horse, much easier when loaded with gear and heavy riding clothes. D.
  8. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    I start about 50' directly behind the bike and run toward it at top speed. Then, just as I reach it, I leap into the air and use the luggage rack as a vault handle and jump right into the saddle.
  9. krellheat

krellheat Milk Crate Challenged

Oddometer:
    Do you start the bike before leaping?
  10. Stopwatch

Stopwatch Choas: Life Itself

Oddometer:
    Thanks for asking this. I've seen it done by a rider who is about 6'4" and in good shape. He mounted his GS from its right side while it faced up hill in my driveway.

I've "toyed" with mounting from the left side while my GS sits on its stock side stand ever since I developed something called "Sciatica." That is, I went from 18 years-old to 97 years-old when my lower vertebrae collapsed and I couldn't walk for a month and couldn't raise my right foot over the rear seat.

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm getting close to as I want to ride with panniers again and put some ground under me.

If you've tried it -- and it does feel pretty weird -- let me know. Is it better to twist the bars left, or to the right? Any special prayers?
  11. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:

No, no, I hold my arms out straight ahead of me like superman as I leap, with the key in the left hand pointing straight forward. I slide it into the ignition in one fluid motion as I come to rest in the saddle, and my right hand grabs the grip and activates the starter button as my left foot sweeps the sidestand up and pops the lever into gear, and roar off in a cloud of dust and fumes. This has been known to make children cry and women swoon, and other men slink off in humiliation... :wink:
  12. Monsignore

Monsignore Plunger Boy Supporter

Oddometer:
    I mount from the right. I'm 6' tall. I bend my left leg and lead with the knee. This allows my foot to clear my top case. Then I just muscle the bike off the side stand (tricky if it's heavily loaded and/or stand is downhill). I turn the key just before mounting so the bike's self-check is generally done by the time I've got the bike up right.

Dismounting, I grab the HB tank guard and kind of slide my left leg over the rear, bent as before to clear the top case. Dismounting I'm usually looking right at the right side cylinder. It probably looks a little odd to an observer, but it works.
  13. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    This can be a challenge, especially for short GS riders:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. teomannaskali

teomannaskali Long timer

Oddometer:
    When mounting the bike, i usually lift my foot up and hold it with my right hand, then move it above the seat until the dirty part cannot touch the seat, release and use left leg to do a mini hop on to the bike. Works from both sides.
  15. VolInGA

VolInGA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mount the GS from the left. After your right foot clears the seat of the GS, place it firmly against the seat of the Harley. Start the GS as you begin to push against the seat of the Harley until it rises from the side stand, then push a little more until it falls over. You now have a clear path to get the hell out of there without fear of scuffing your pannier on the Harley.
  16. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Believe me, it was tempting. Were it not for the fact that he parks there almost as much as I do I might have not been so cordial in my note!

[​IMG]

17. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    That's easy because Harleys are made for short riders. Just mount it from the right side and ride off. :wink:
  18. XPatriot

XPatriot Charges have been dropped

Oddometer:
    That's not a Harley, that's a step stool.
  19. nwpa

nwpa Generally amused

Oddometer:
    Seriously though, why would someone expose their bike to the likelihood they'd return to an insurance claim when they got back?
  20. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I think he has a thing for adv riders... :raabia :lol3