Dakar Dazed - countdown to bankruptcy!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by JMo (& piglet), Sep 1, 2010.

1. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Hey DD!

I've just seen Neduro has entered too... I fear I'm going to be bankrupt!

The problem I've had is having been off a bike for six months, and eating way too much crap as compensation...

I used to cycle around 100 miles a week (on and off road) on the MTB, and that was really good for my joints and general fitness... so that is what I'm going to start with... I have good [muscle] strength, it's just my cardio that is weak, and like you say, is what you need to maintain strength throughout the event...

Not enough to be honest - not that I consider it affected me, but I was trading on my previous fitness, rather than maintaining or improving...

I'd done well in Tunisia, and considered myself 'bike fit' enough for the Dakar, but then as you recall I went and broke my foot in September so that screwed up all my plans for really getting in shape before the event. By the time I was able to walk/ride again, it was mid-November, and the UK was frozen solid - I didn't want to risk riding so close to the start, and while I was walking again, even at the start of the event my ankle still wasn't what you could say 100%...

And now, while I'm sure I can get much fitter, I'm not sure my ankle (with the plate in this time) is going to be 100% either... that is what I have to weigh-up...

Seems I'm destined to always race Dakar with some kind of ailment!

Thank you...

I hope to know more soon,

Jx
  2. DakarDemon

DakarDemon Ride!

Oddometer:
    Yes I have been also following Neduro

I see, But you should have your core fittness still from the 100 miles a week Mountain biking you used to do (Unless it was along time ago) which I'm sure it isn't

You really need to be in top shape for the Dakar. I have seen the training plans for some of the regular guys (not the pro's) for the 2012 Dakar and they have been already training for months now and building up fittness, and they don't have an injury. 'Bike Fit' what do you mean? I worry you will convince yourself that the other events you have done give you a faulse sense of fitness. I know you did the Dakar in 2011 but realisically and with all the respect in the world you didn't finish day 4.
    I'm willing you to get to Dakar 2012 and finish it, I remember your 2011 statment you wanted to be the fastest women in England to do the Dakar. Is that still your goal? Don't underestimate the Dakar.

“I am confident that with my experience, together with my current race bike and the assistance of my support team, I have every chance of finishing; and my intention is to be the highest placed British woman to do so - that is my goal.”

Have you thought about saving your money and getting strong and fit for 2013. If you are only just starting to loose weight and start to get back out on your mountain bike at this stage I fear it might not give you enough time for 2012, doesn't England have cold dark winters and Fall is only 6 weeks away...

Why? You could wait and get it right for 2013 and be fully fit and ready...

I wish you well and hope you do it.

DD
  3. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi DD - thank you, I do appreciate your concern - and I'm sure you're not the only one thinking the same?

The bottom line is that if I don't do it this year, it is unlikely I will ever have sufficient 'spare' money to even contemplate it again... another year older, both me and the bike, and a million other things I should be spending my money on.

Regarding fitness - by 'bike fit' I mean the ability to get back on the bike every day, and ride it expending the minimal amount of effort, to conserve energy...

As for only reaching day 4 - that was nothing to do with fitness - I didn't retire through fatigue, I had an almighty crash (as I'm sure you'll recall!) - Oliver Pain crashed the day after me, and Craig Bounds was out on day 7 - the point being it can happen to anyone, with any amount of preparation? - you need the 'Dakar Luck' along with fitness!

Of course had I made it to rest day, I'm sure I would have started to feel the pain of riding such huge distances each day - but the one thing I did learn from this year's event, is not to get wrapped up in the 'buzz' and excitement, and not to pay attention to your standings each day (other than to know your start time for the following morning of course x)... Patsy summed it up with "Treat every day as a trail ride..." simple as that.

Having done so well on stage 1, I foolishly thought [as a first timer] I might make a dent on the standings...I admit I was guilty of thinking I could make up some ground early on, capitalize on my strengths and build in a safety net of a few minutes here and there - when there are only half a dozen riders in the women's category, these things can make the difference to placings... The bottom line is that typically a third fail to finish, it just happens that this year I was part of that third.

Obviously I am nowhere near the ability of the top riders, or even those mid-fielders who are vying for position, therefore it is a different kind of fitness I require - along with core strength, mental strength is fundamental, but I admit I need to improve my cardio to increase my chances...

If I go back, it will be to finish, as simple as that. I considered my self strong enough last year, and with a bit of training, consider myself strong enough to have another shot... I'm not in the habit of pissing money away you know!*

Jx

*erm, those that know me know that isn't strictly true, it's just I have a lot less to piss away now!
  4. barrier

barrier Says who?

Oddometer:
    Thanks DD for reminding us! :(:
    Although Jenny is over the border in Wales where it never rains and is rarely cold!:lol3
    Bit like the Atacama Desert on a good day!:wink:
  5. dakardood

dakardood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First off, DD, not having a go with what I'm putting here, your comments are totally valid.

|'ll be the first to say the climate of the UK is a "bit iffy" at the best of times, but, strange changes have come about in the last few years, we have had warm and very dry April's and Septembers here can be really good. Potentially, you can now see decent dry weather into the early part of October with a decline after that.

So, that's 10-12 weeks if we get lucky.

Jen, financially its always going to be a tough proposition, but if it feels even remotely like this could be the last crack at it, bloody well do it, "you pass this way once".

-- imagine being sat there in your 70's or 80's thinking "God, wish I'd had that second crack at it".

As you say, take it REALLY easy, aim to just finish and what a great goal if you achieve that finish.

Don't pass this (last?) one up. Go for it. :evil

6. DakarDemon

DakarDemon Ride!

Oddometer:
    Jenny

Thank you for your reply. Hope I didn't stop you training by making you sit on the internet. We all know that is no good for anyone!

I have seen guys and girls fail the dakar over the 20 odd years I have been going out and following it, Often they say it was because of an accident when really it was fatigue that made them make the wrong move or wrong choice. The mind of a rider with fatigue is not as sharp as one without. The rider who is fitter suffers with fatigue less so the mind is on the job and crashes are much much less likely to happen. It all adds into the mix during the Dakar, but as you say Dakar Luck also has a small part to play.

Hope you are enjoying the mountain biking? Do you do 100 miles in one go? over a weekend? or spead over a few days? Do you have a phsical job? All this helps build up your leg strengh and stamina. It is the stamina you will need once you hit the sand! Those Dunese brutal. Pushing yourself hard on your mountain bike is great and like you say you'll have your fitness left from when you did all the mountain biking you did before the crash in January!
    Are you sticking to the same training program you had for your 2011 Dakar?

Who will be doing your support in your 2012 Dakar?

Glad you Brits have longer than 6 weeks left of summer!

Looking forward to Dakar 2012 and watching you! Will you have a Facebook page again this time? Or are you keeping it on this page? or your own web page.

Thank you

DD
  7. DakarDemon

DakarDemon Ride!

Oddometer:
    10-12 weeks is much better! I heard about your really harse winters over the past few years, glad its not all bad!

Yes I agree 'you pass this way once'

Fingers crossed for Jenny, I'm just pointing out to give the girl the best chance in the world her fitness needs to be the very best it can be.

She says she can afford it so she must do it!

I guess she has a kind Boss

Like you say GO FOR IT!

(but get fit and finish it!)

DD
  8. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    I totally agree. Undoubtably I took my eye off the ball for a moment, the wrong moment as it turns out... but if you recall the circumstances of the crash - I basically stayed wide (by about 30 feet) of the piste after crossing a dry lake, rather than cut back in to the chewed up ground and another rider, and there was a bloody great hole! - next time I won't be so polite... x

To be honest I've hardly been on my pushbike at all recently, but I used to regualrly ride 20-30 miles at a time, a mix of on and off (trail) riding. I've now moved into a new area (no longer in Wales btw.) which has a lot of trails on the doorstep, so it is my intention to get back out there again - although time is always a problem, especially when I have a whole house to decorate!

No, I will have to do much more than that to get back up to fitness... if you recall I'd raced Heroes-Legend at the end of 2009, and Tunisia in May 2010 - I was hanging onto the residual fitness I'd built-up and had from those (I felt surprisingly good after the FIM round in Tunis for example), but obviously I've broken both my foot and my leg since then, so it will be an uphill climb...

Most likely Desert Rose Racing...

Hmmmm... it comes and goes... as Dakardood says, I fear we might have had the best of it already in April... x

Yes, certainly - I don't know what has happened to the JMo Racing Facebook page (I didn't administer it), it seems to have disappered into the ether?! I will certainly have a facebook feed, and will be revamping the Jennydakar.com website once I have my campaign in place.

There will also be a new [dedicated] thread here on ADV, of course!

Jx
  9. DakarDemon

DakarDemon Ride!

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your honest reply Jenny. It is so great to hear your plans.
    Worth me finally signing up for ADV forum just to talk on this thread!!

Time is always a problem! Do you work full time AND decorating your house! My My you do have your work cut out girl. I could come across the pond and help you out.

Do you work far from home, maybe that is away to get your Mountain biking in your day without taking to much time?

Oh i can also teach you to suck eggs.....

Sorry if i'm pointing out the basic stuff.

Once again - Go girl and good luck

DD
  10. dakardood

Oddometer:
    Nice one DD, all good points mate! :clap

11. F650Dakar_Norway

F650Dakar_Norway What off-season? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Moving out of Wales to a still functioning training appears to be a wise move. So it appears the motivational and training ground issues are well in place. :evil

I've just done a 2-year rehab after my own ordinary road crash in 2009, snapping my left knee ligaments. Watching your effort is truly inspiring and makes things , ahum... an interesting perspective.

Gives the word determination and perseverance a nice face.
    I'm allowing myself to be impressed and cheer for you and the little fella!:clap
  12. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Well, spurred on by DDs concerns, I have embarked on my training programme for 2012...

This is my new training bike:

[​IMG]

I say new, it's actually my 10 year old Mountain Cycle - as you can see, it's not had a lot of use these past few years! (and I like to take good care of my bikes too of course).

Anyways, I thought I'd start of gently this morning with a ride to the post office (about 6 miles away)... only there are two bloody great hills in the way and I'd forgotten how much hard work it is riding off-road without an engine! My poor little legs (and lungs) didn't know what had hit them!!!

Being the first time on a bicycle for a good year, and the first time since my accident of course, I decided to pace myself (like the Dakar, it's all about endurance, right?) and stopped for a couple of rests - but the good news is I never had to get off and push... which I intend to use as a metaphor for Dakar 2012!

I hope to have more news regarding my new campaign shortly... right now I'm ingesting nuts and fruit, and longing for Starbucks... x

Toot toot!

Jenny xx
  13. Boondoggle

Boondoggle Nihilism Matters!

Oddometer:
    good start, Jenny, keep it up. :clap

This is your year- go get 'em.
  14. dakardood

Oddometer:
    Here we go then.... Bak2Dak :clap
  15. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Oh the irony..

Just when I get strong enough to get back on a bike... turns out the entries in the Moto and Quad categories are massively over-subscribed, and applications are now closed...

Looks like I've just saved myself twenty-odd grand.

Anyone got a rally car I can borrow?

Jx
  16. Boondoggle

Boondoggle Nihilism Matters!

Oddometer:
    Oh, no.

I'm so sorry.

Perhaps it's just an extra 52 weeks to train?
  17. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    Uh man. :( Sorry Jenny.
  18. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    So sorry to hear.:huh
  19. Cuttle

Cuttle fuck the calm down

Oddometer:
    that sucks!!!

sorry
  20. Protagonist

Protagonist Sidekick, actually

Oddometer:
    That's a bummer! I'd have a 15 year old Corolla estate to spare -- never let me down so far --and, when I squint really hard and turn my head just so, it looks a tad bit like a rallye car [not] ... although the Atacama might be a bit much for it.
    Sorry, not helping here, I guess...

How about the 2013 campaign then?