Apc 2013

Discussion in 'Australia' started by xrxtz, Aug 18, 2012.

1. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:
    I miss it real bad just can't afford to do it again yet,
    I will go see the bikes off from Dayboro but it will be gut wrenching not to be going too.
    :cry
  2. jtb

jtb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just read shelbyjets ride report HERE.

I would suggest that the APC left a wake of bad blood in outback NSW and SA. Can't be sure of the exact reasons but I hope it was no one on this forum... yeah I know there are dickheads every where... but shelby only got to Tibooburra before the bad blood became evident

"...the publican was a little over motorbikers as some of the APC guys had rubbed him the wrong way. After assuring him we were just two mates on our own, he warmed up and was hard to leave."

Please keep the locals on side boys! Others will follow in your wheel tracks and want to enjoy what the outback people can provide.:thumb
  3. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im sure thats a reflection on the two individuals, not John or the APC ride itself.
    We stayed at pubs each night, were polite and made sure we thanked our hosts every time on the way out the door each morning. We appreciated their hospitality and they appreciated our (and the other APC riders' ) business.
  4. micknmeld

micknmeld Always in trouble

Oddometer:
    I have been following the APC Rally on Facebook, it appears that Homer is busy setting out next year's route. He has been posting some great pics on the APC FB page from some great country and going by the photos, next year's APC rally is going to be a beauty!
  5. rutsthematter

rutsthematter Yes they are

Oddometer:
    Course looks different to previous years, tougher on those on bigger bikes.
    Trip Preparation different to previous years, see the december newsletter.

Turn up fit or pay the price.
    Bikes need to be ready to get some “airtime” there are 1 million whoops in the mountain section that last for 10 days.

I take it we are not going to any desert/outback.

Better get on the pushbike by the sounds of that.
  6. Mawscode

Mawscode Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll be lining up at Dayboro for the start of the rally, really looking forward to getting outback again, Let's hope the 990 can handle it :D
  7. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:
    Watching Dakar over the last few weeks has me pining to hit the APC again, not saying it is equivalent to a Dakar but for us mere mortals battling financial survival it is a viable alternative and a great adventure without a massive financial outlay.
    I remember chasing down the side of a railway line in the dark having lost my riding partner and hitting chopped up deep soft sand drainage beds every couple of hundred metres through some tight navigation thinking wow this is pretty close to the real thing and there aint no chopper available at 5 mins notice to come get me.
    Damn, wish my back was fixed and I had the cash to do it again this year.
    Hopefully see you guys on the start line as Dayboro is not far from me.
    My tip is pack light, just enough to survive, nothing more, definately not the kitchen sink, remember you fuel every couple of hundred kms and if you find yourself short of something you can buy most things at a servo.

Andy
  8. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We did that section heading into Hawker late arvo.
    Personally, the bit you speak of along the railway line was my favorite section of the entire rally.
    I felt like I was riding the Finke Desert race..... whoops, washed out creek beds..... hit some rather quick speeds in some sections......except the bike was heavier, I was carrying lots of gear, and im old and fat and slow. :D

The beers tasted soooo much better at Craddock that night.
  9. billy300

billy300 Banned

Oddometer:
    Rang up today and have been put on a reserve list apparently it is sold out. Been told i am a good chance because it is not unusual for riders to get injured . There were 9 riders injured before the last 14 day rally even started.
    Entry has gone in for the big one this year . Is anyone else here starting at Wodonga.
  10. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:

I was one of the nine ! I had a seriously stupid crash trying out some Mitas E09 tyres in deep sand and broke my tibia and fibula in the Little Desert. I also belted my head hard and now have to ride with a neck brace.

I am doing the NSW 4 day next month. If I cope OK leg wise ( at 59 bones take a long time to heal) , then I will have a go at the 14 day rally. I will start at Mildura which is slightly closer than Wodonga for me.

The course being more technical is OK by me. I am riding a DRZ400 with a wide ratio gearbox. I learnt my lesson in sand riding on a big top heavy DR650RS (don't do it) and poor tyres( E09 front is shit in deep sand/ rear is just OK)

Having followed the last 2 APC rallies on the net, I am looking forward to having a go.
  11. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:
    I was thinking about that and yes that day through Flinders gorges and the railway line to Hawker was fantastic but there were so many days that were great, the Simpson was another highlight for me as well as the Hattah which was more challenging on the road south than the easterly track across the desert, but the last motorcross section after the flats was a hoot. The mountain goat trails around Mt Victoria were also special as was the jumps through Barrington Tops. So many good bits it is hard to remember them all. The Birdsville Track is definately one to forget unless on a 990 at 170kph, talk about the Boredom Track but you need the liaisons to get to the next bit of stunning scenery and in this case it was the Flinders so well worth it. For those doing it this year you will have a ball I am sure, just don't crash or breakdown otherwise you will miss some of the best scenery this country has to offer. Its not a race !! Stop and smell the roses and take plenty of pics otherwise it is over in a heartbeat.
    Andy
  12. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Andy, what day are they leaving Dayboro?
  13. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:
    18th May from the Crown hotel Dayboro.07:00 according to the pre-event guide but most likely a bit later, probably 0800 - 0830 from previous experience.

Andy
  14. fatbloke49

fatbloke49 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    100 days to go and counting! :clap:freaky
  15. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Long timer

Oddometer:

Have you got that 690 all sorted and ready now
  16. Wasca

Wasca Adventurized!

Oddometer:
    Have you decided to do the APC Paul?
  17. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Long timer

Oddometer:

No, I would have done the QLD if I kept my DRZ, but I don't want to take a bike only a month old on it this year, I'll be too rushed for time sorting and fitting things. I'll aim for the QLD 4 day next year.
  18. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hopefully in 14 days time we will be at Mt Victoria ready for day one to commence in the morning.
  19. fatbloke49

fatbloke49 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, it's nearly ready.
    Just need a few more things but it's starting to take shape.
    [​IMG]
  20. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow that looks a lot different to the last time I saw it. Mines arrived at the shop to pick up next week