Ultra gravel-traveller. RC8´ed Adv-S...

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by LocuL, May 29, 2010.

1. StevenD

StevenD Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer:
    The interlock is on its way.
    I'm sure the bike wont start without it as it decides from clutch switch and sidestand input etc. if it's safe to spark the plugs. I would have thought that it refuses to crank the bike as well but apparently you can cranked it without? did you bypass it to get it to crank as the relay that controls your start button gets ground over the interlock box.

I'm just not too sure what the connection in to the ECU from the interlock does but I suspect it will also tell the ECU to NOT inject any fuel when the sidestand is out for example.

So i'm wondering how you got the starter to spin in the bike as it is now?
  2. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    ahhh damnit post got deleted.

My master mechanic and I are blaming the interlock because it won´t show when i put it into gear. It just enhance our thoughts of this being a faulty unit. Svane did bypass the unit, exactly how and where i´m not able to tell. Maybe we can try and picture it for you next time we work on the bike. I´m not allowed to try start the bike when he´s not around. :D The sidestand switch is bypassed by the unit KTM provides, so it should be out of sight. I will pick up the left tank at the welder today(nothing done to it) and try to make a proper fueling. We will out some larger wiring to the stater as it startet smoking after 5 attempts. Pulls a lot of amp through the current wire. Just to make sure everything can keep up. This is just some of the adjusting we will be dealing with before we hit the streets.

StevenD do you know of any estimated time for the travel?

My damn best regards to all of you out there. Back to the F5irehose and Dakar.....YAYYYYYYY
  3. StevenD

StevenD Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer:
    It's shipped air priority so should be with you tomorrow, or day after I guess.
    Hope thats the ticket to success!!

This bike has to be able to crank without bypassing this box, otherwise the ECU will not fire sparks and injectors.
  4. wreckah

wreckah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    this is one of those threads you find by accident, a thread which then completely takes over your whole evening...it reads like a great novel :clap:clap:clap

suspense!!

Fantastic work guys, subscribed :1drink

greetings from Belgium :)
    Jan
  5. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words.

Update.

Received the starter interlock from StevenD. Installed it and nothing...
    Gear indicator stays green when i put it into gear? So this is probably not the starter interlock. Will have to look other places.

When i flip on the the ignition i get i new immobilizer code which i can´t find anything on. Light just stays on in the immobilizer light?
    Video for better understanding.
    [​IMG]

I´m a bit bummed about this. I´ve sincerely hoped that this would be my solution, but i´m at a full stop here. I will try to put on the old map and try from there. hmmm

Best regards
    Mikael
  6. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:
    did you program the new ignition for your key? if it doesnt recongnize the key, you will get a solid immobilizer light and the bike won't start.

just a thought...

laramie :beer
  7. StevenD

StevenD Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer:
    That sounds a lot like the key dont read to the immobilizer, but that should give you a blinky code telling you whats wrong?
    I hate immobilizers :( I bet you do even a little more...
  8. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    ok before i go out to the machine-of-hate.

1:
    Does any of you top MOFO´s no if i can "de-activate" the 2 black keys and "activate" them again???? I will of course use the orange as per manual?

2:
    When i do the "5 x reset" maneuver with the orange key. Does anyone what exactly is done? And how long per time(x 5) do i have to activate the ignition. Would need complete startup or???

heyHOo:puke1
  9. Katoom119

Katoom119 Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer:
    I'm going to be calling my KTM dealer tomorrow, want me to ask the mechanic while I'm on the phone?

If it's like the Ducati's I was told you just touch the keys together and it resets them. No need to de-activate and then activate, it does it all in one go.
  10. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Please try.

:ear
  11. Katoom119

Oddometer:
    The dealer that I talked to had only ever sold one RC8 and a few 990 Adventures. I'm going to call a bigger one tomorrow that I know of where they sell a lot of RC8's.

That being said...

He didn't think that you could do anything with the orange key to "de-activate" and then "activate" the black keys; apparently it's not set up the same way the Ducati's are. He said the orange key was designed to reset the immobilizer.

I asked him what about the reset procedure? He replied that he'd only done it a couple of times but it was listed in the service manual in detail. He remembered having to press and hold the mode button (he thought) and that there was more to it, it wasn't just a "Insert the orange key and turn it off and on 5x".

So I asked him what about if I blow the engine on my RC8 and just buy a used engine, what do I do? The immobilizer and the ignition barrel would not be all on the same "key". He said, ok, this I know about. What he did was he had to call KTM North America, give them the VIN numbers for the engine and the bike and explain what he was doing, so that way KTM wouldn't think the engine was stolen. They then recut a black key for the ignition barrel but had it "activated" for the new engine, so everything worked just fine.

I told him you were in Europe and he said fire an email of to KTM Europe and explain what you're doing. If they ignore you then find a KTM dealer and have them talk to KTM for you; it may be that they think you're just trying to use stolen parts and would believe a dealer more. If that doesn't work, he said he'd be happy to be the liaison between you and KTM and he'd do whatever he could to get you a working key.

So, at least now you have a direction. You'll have to talk to KTM themselves, explain what's going on, and see if they'll give you a key that will work with that immobilizer. BUT you need to know the engine number the immobilizer came off of, which could pose a problem.

I'll call the other dealership tomorrow and see if they can confirm this since they sell a lot more RC8's and 990's.
  12. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Hi

Im at work right now and i dont have much time for the project. I will just let you know that im listening carefully to what you are doing and I appreciate your help. I can only state how difficult it is to in touch with the ktm people. Dealers in Denmark vary in quality and the lust for helping me outin this project. I can understand that the project isn't straight on and the challenge seems to turn them off. It's just like they are not skilled enough to handle "out of the box" problems.

I will try the ktm Europe at first and return.

Regards and thx in advance.
  13. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    Try pop Bikers Jersey an email (or phone) http://www.bikersjersey.com. They are quite helpful. (Or PM Pebble
    If you can prise Owen away from the Dakar thread ... :lol3)
  14. Katoom119

Oddometer:
    Mikael-

Just bought the RC8 service manual. Should be here within two days so soon as it does I'll pull the info about the immobilizer and the keys for you.
  15. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Some hardcore reading from Svane:

Prøv lige og se om det her kan bruges til noget :)
    Hi.
    As most of you know, we’re having a bit of a struggle getting this projekt up and running (lately the small part about the engine and getting it to crank)…
    Me and Mikael had to troubleshoot A LOT, but I’ll try to give you an update to the starter interlock case. From earlier I knew that the starter was fine, so I needed to go further backwards. The starter relay (K4 I believe) did however, not receive any current from relay K5 when the button was pressed. Dismantled the starter button in order to measure current on one of the wires/leads and at the same time, try to bypass the button. 12v, but nothing happened when I bypassed it. Back to the “wiring harness overview” and tracked down the relay K5 by the wire colours. Back with the voltmeter and 12v all the places where it should be. However, there was no connection to ground. Then I took another wire into the ground connection on the relay and directly to – on the battery. Then it worked!! But still no noise from the 1190 exhaust :/ Back to the “wiring harness overview” and located the wire in/out of the starter interlock. Measured resistance in the wire, just to be sure that it wasn’t broken- but it was fine.
    Tried to explain it to Mikael, but he just looked at me and did basically the same as Homer Simpson does in the church in The movie ;) We agreed that there had to be a fault in the starter interlock, but unfortunately nothing happened when a new one arrived from one of you guys in Holland.
    Thx a lot for the help you provide out there, keep it coming

16. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    Mikael,

just wanted to check with you quickly if you bought the RC8 radiator from your dealer paying new prices (500+ USD) ?

I'm looking at buying one but cant find prices lower than that anywhere. Except e-bay of course.... but even those on e-bay are expensive at 400USD :cry

cheers and looking forward to see/hear the beast run...
  17. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Bought it from ebay. Crazy expensive, be patient and you can find some cheaper ones.
  18. PowerCell

PowerCell Manufacture Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:

Available new on Cheap Cycle Parts for $402...

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/mode...ite-1190-rc8/assemblies/239428-cooling-system

19. liferider

liferider Never It's enough

Oddometer:
    Mikael,
    Checking in just to say: Holly Shit...! this is a hell of a "projekt"! Congrats!
    Can't wait to see/hear she running! :thumb

:lurk:lurk:lurk

20. Mudguts

Mudguts when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer:
    Have looked in to the tip over sensor if your using the standard ECU you will need to run the tip over sensor or bridge it out with a resistor ? This will stop the fuel pump and possibly

injector from working

Just a thought