Baja 1000 ironman

Discussion in 'Racing' started by vbenedic, Nov 22, 2012.

1. vbenedic

vbenedic Rider

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I am planning to race Baja 1000 in ironman class next year, but I am a bit worried how trucks deals to overtake motorcycles.

Do they use sentinel system as Dakar do?

Thanks
  2. azcagiva

azcagiva new orange flavor

Oddometer:
    They have no such system in SCORE. Ask inmate Frog about his encounter in this years 1000.

-John
  3. vbenedic

vbenedic Rider

Oddometer:
    John,

Do trucks take care with motos or they run over as an obstacle?
  4. azcagiva

azcagiva new orange flavor

Oddometer:
    Most are careful.

-John
  5. AngryShawn

AngryShawn Punchbowl Pooper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  6. B1KSOLO

B1KSOLO Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap
    The 1st time they come up on you they scare the $hit of you and hopefully they won't use you as a speed bump and then you learn respect, and the hell out of there way as fast as possible next time. This is just my experiences others my have different opinions ( FROG )

Dave
  7. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
  8. craigincali

craigincali I'll try it.

Oddometer:
    The trucks come up on you so fast that a lot of times its just luck that they miss you. I used to race Ironman in Best In The Desert. The Trucks and Class 1 buggies do watch out for you but it is just luck that more quad and bikes guys arent killed IMO. If you are in the dust or making dust it is even WAY more dangerous. I race Class 10 and even we pass some of the bike and quad guys.
  9. vbenedic

vbenedic Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advices
  10. frog

frog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had nothing but good experiences with them in two baja 1000 and 3 days of v2r. Third baja 1000 and it was one jackass driver, the rest were respectful.

It was partly my fault but I still don't like being hit. I was trying to get out of his way but didnt make it out of the wash the first time, was going to try for a second then all of a sudden I was on the front bumper. In his defense he tried to climb out as well and didnt make it but all I needed was another few seconds.

TT are part of racing if you are not fast enough to stay in front, which most of us aren't. It would be much safer if there was some sort of system to warn riders of upcoming vehicles. Its dangerous as hell to try and look back all the time and they come up really fast so all it takes is not looking back for a couple corners and they are on top of you.

Like I said this is the first time I've had an issue and I know of two other bikes that got hit so maybe they put something in the TT drivers water.:lol3 There is definitely a difference in the respect they give riders once you cross the boarder.