the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    Here is how I do it, FWIW:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20354112&postcount=371
  2. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    The rockers will feel slightly loose at TDC. You should have a very small amount of play. If they are tight, your not on TDC.
  3. Obard

Obard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I'm going to give it hell today. Thanks for all the helpful hints. Good news is I'm getting really quick at taking everything off and on. I've been trying to get these darn valves adjusted for months now. I think I'm getting close with last bit of info here on locating tdc(c).
  4. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Even better, with more familiarity you can consider tackling the blue smoke issue. It's probably nothing more then the valve seals which are cheap, but you will need a valve compressor tool which can be bought for less then $50. So for less then $100 you could fix the problem.
  5. imprezagm4

imprezagm4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got it done yesterday evening. Just had to slide the boot down to get a better grip. It really helped having the weight off the front wheel but it wasn't fun wrestling the beast to the ground...

I'm definitely aware I didn't do it the way the manual says, now that I know how to do it, I can reverse it in a few minutes... so we will see how it goes.

Thanks for all the tips
  6. Obard

Obard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do I have to yank the engine out to work on the valve seals? Nevermind don't tell me yet, we'll get there soon as I get the valves adjusted right.
  7. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    The manual says it shortens the overall length, not just the travel. So you get 1.6" of ride height difference just between the two holes? The two holes are only about 5/8" apart. So, where's the other 1" come from? Not arguing here, just trying to learn. Holding the parts in my hands and looking at them, it looks like you'd limit travel and length by flipping the spring seat.
  8. procycle

procycle ~Retired~

Oddometer:
    The amount it's lowered is measured at the rear axle so the length of the swingarm is where most of the additional inch comes from. Also there is the geometry of the shock linkage.

Flipping the stock spring seat only limits the travel but does also move the location of the spring on the shock body.
  9. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    So, if you don't flip the spring seat, only move the bolt from the bottom to top hole in the clevis, the result is the same amount of lowering, 1.6" ?
  10. procycle

procycle ~Retired~

Oddometer:
    Yes, same amount of lowering.
  11. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
  12. Rumlover

Rumlover Ed

Oddometer:
    Yes, like Procycle said the lowering is the same regardless if you flip the spring seat or not. But you will risk the tire hitting the fender (or possibly other components hitting) if you don't limit the travel by flipping the spring seat which raises the bump stop to limit shock travel.
    Remember the spring has to also be moved up the shock body (per the manual) when you flip the spring seat.

Personally (although I haven't done any measurements) I think the prelaod settings Suzuki states in the manual also play into their 1.6" claim. In other words you would have to adjust to their lowest preload setting to achieve the maximum height reduction.

:freaky
  13. martinfishlog

martinfishlog martinfishlog

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

New running lights
  14. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    They do.
  15. Obard

Obard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Went out this afternoon to give it hell, and finish the valve adjustment I've been trying to complete for months. Well ... I figured out what the clanging and rattling was. The bike swallowed the lock nut and the adjusting screw off of the rocker arm. Now all I have to do is load up the bike and get it over to the bike shop down the road. Live and learn ... The hard way.

Awe who am I kidding, I'm to cheap to take it anywhere, guess I'll see what the engine inards look like. Hope ya'll don't mind the onslaught of questions I'm likely to be asking.
  16. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Ouch, did that with my old 1150 GS years ago. Never did find the nut. :lol3
  17. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. Northyork

Northyork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :uhoh Sorry to hear about the findings. :cry Folks will be glad to answer your questions. Learn how to post pics; everybody loves pics. :nod

Sorry to see you go, I hope the KTM treats you well. :freaky
  20. BadDogMax

BadDogMax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was hauling my bike ... and when I went to unload I saw fork oil leaking all over the truck bed!

I had no evidence of leaking or seeping before this.

I've never had one fail this way. In the past when seals failed, there was always increasing seeping and dripping on the garage floor.

Can I just refill the shock oil to the proper level? Or is my seal ruined and I have to replace it?

<label for="rb_iconid_5">[​IMG]</label>[​IMG]