Dakar 2014 - Official Event Coverage - thank you all, lurkers and posters!!!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by doyle, Jan 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zenjen

zenjen Go Outside

Oddometer:
    Their skills are otherworldly.
  2. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    From HRC

Joan Barreda 1st 03:47'03 TEAM HRC
    This has been a really exceptional special, one like the Dakar has never seen before. Not only for the altitude but also for the hills and the steep slopes that we have had to endure. It was like a trial. In second gear, revved up, then stopping for breath before taking off again. A real trial run where you just had to try and not make any mistakes and keep up the concentration. The navigation was really tough and at no time did I really stop to see if I was on the right path. We crossed a few rivers at the start. I caught up with Chaleco and then Sam, who I saw had taken the wrong route. From then on I did the rest of the special on my own. In the final few kilometres on the way down I was able to open the throttle until the end. It really was a difficult one for everyone.

Helder Rodrigues 15th +37'36 TEAM HRC
    A really difficult stage. I got lost and it took me a long time to get back on the right track. But I’m very happy to be back at the bivouac. Today I could have lost the race, but I’m still in with a shout in spite of dropping a few minutes.

Paulo Goncalves 52nd 2:13'56 TEAM HRC
    I was up at an altitude of 4,500 metros with Sunderland and Grabham and we couldn’t find the right way. Grabham took a path which wasn’t the right one and we followed him. We lost loads of time looking for the right one. I realize that my Dakar is over. From now on I’ll be focused on helping out Joan Barreda.

Sam Sunderland 54th +2:28'06 TEAM HRC
    For a while I opened the way, but I had a fall on a very steep slope. I lost a lot of time looking for the right route... at 4000 metres you get a bit disoriented. I found Gonçalves who was waiting for a helicopter to help Faria and we rode together. I fell several times as well as getting lost a lot. It’s an experience that we will have to learn from.

They are tough and Sam is no exception - no info back from him but this sounds like the toughest day (barring accidents) of his young life to date. We will find out more, but for now it's down to finishing and keeping in the visual frame. He sounds and will be pretty pragmatic and will blame nobody but himself - he didn't make comment on "following"his Brit mate :D

Onwards and upwards - well, maybe not upwards :lol3
  3. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I still have not seen any confirmation either way - His team are looking for him and I expect we will hear news soon. However someone else who was with him (I think it as Zanotti?) was DQ'd for arriving late at the DSS. :cry

Consensus is he is out.
  4. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Off to a remote location for the next 12 or so hours, so will have to catch up tonight after stage 4 - may get some twitter feed, but not looking forward the the catch up:lol3:lol3

The end f day 3 and for some of the guys they must feel like it's the end of day 13 - can only be 1 thing - DAKAR :clap:clap:cry:cry:cry
  5. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Thanks.....
  6. coak

coak Addicted to Rally Racing!

Oddometer:
    I couldn't agree more!
  7. RecycledRS

RecycledRS Along for the ride

Oddometer:
    By this you mean you should ignore officials?
  8. Pilbara

Pilbara In the flow...

Oddometer:
    Were the hell is Dynamo when you need him!

Pilbara
  9. tommcbride

tommcbride Long timer

Oddometer:
    • France 4 not working on my iPad...anyone have a link?
    • ES IS working on my iPad!
    Thanks MyWay:freaky
  10. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    Maybe stop and ask for some form of identification? :lol3
  11. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    Question

Would a full blown official on the Dakar be pointing the way ? I've only done one rally but we were out there on our own from dss to ass no arrows no clues just the roadbook.
  12. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    Here's a section of Stage 3 from today. Checkout the hillclimb towards the (north) end of the Google Earth track (same place as snapshot from video). The top is 4400m high (14,400ft), the height of the tallest mountain in the continental USA. This GE track is just a small portion of the whole day, but pretty amazing terrain. I mapped it last night, but didn't believe they would really go there, so I assumed I was in the wrong place and quit mapping. Now I see on video that they did indeed go there. Impressive!

Google Earth File

[​IMG]
  13. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No but many times riders have followed "well meaning people's" directions which are more than likely in error.

I would at least demand some kind of stamp in my road book if I was stopped and redirected by someone in ASO gear. Or ask for the reason for the change in direction.

But its a moot point really because we heard that the direction he was pointing in was the same as the Gps (8km away? :loco) and the road book apparently.

Someone has to be wrong and someone has to be right. I choose to believe in the guys who made it through okay. Why?

Because in my own experience following road books I have quite often gone wrong by double guessing myself instead of reading the road book and following the directions and trusting in my instruments. The way on looks better to me, and somehow I convince myself that it has to be the right way. Meanwhile its the less visible track off to the left or something like that. It gets worse when you start following people tracks. Now you find yourself counting tracks instead of km in the road book. Before you know you have gone wrong.

It sounds simple on paper and when you look at the tulips it looks easy but when you have made a mistake and and are still trying to find your way right again, its very, very easy to make a second mistake and find yourself in the wrong valley.

Okay I have gone off track here but I hope it -sort of- answers your question.
  14. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:

I've no idea about the DAkar, but I've seen the odd radio marshall in a sticker'ed up orga truck sitting under a pop up tent at km 137, middle of nowhere. It was a nice clue :D

They are fairly more legit looking than a guy with a clipboard ontop of a 14,000 foot mountain, but there's very little oxygen up ther ewith which to make split decision :D
  15. RecycledRS

RecycledRS Along for the ride

Oddometer:
    I was just asking you who have more experience than a noob like myself. Still I wouldn't think you would ask for ID from every official you get instruction from in the heat of the race.
  16. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Aso and sometimes Etienne himself fly to difficult sections of the route :nod

So indeed staff could have been there
  17. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  18. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's it for sure! Well done Scott! :thumb
  19. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Still no news about Kevin?
  20. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes but they are not really allowed to point out where you must go, and the riders are also told this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.